The New Raith Rovers Thread

Against my own better judgement i just watched yesterday's highlights. Disarray. Dumbarton coasting past players like they're not there in every​ position. Ball watching. Players unmarked around box. Zero midfield. A fucking circus. And do you know who can f**k right off? Roberts. Has a go at Osei just before 4th goal, which is a fucking disgrace in itself. I'd easily drop half that team and play youngsters right now. We concede a goal and go to shit. Uninterested and not very talented is not a great mix in these desperate days, experienced or not.

You have to laugh, otherwise you'd cry! What an absolute shambles of a team we are and the worrying part is, I don't see how we can turn it around. The players just don't seem up for it or good enough really bar a few. What options do we have though? Give Thorsen a go? Play Osei? Giving some youth players a chance is the only realistic thing that could really shake things up but if they don't hit the ground running then we're in the same predicament. Also, Skacel, Roberts and McManus shouldn't be on the pitch for a further minute this season, absolute diddies.

I think time will show that this season has put the club back years (training facilities, community programmes and development squad aside). I've always maintained that I think we've got the core of a good squad, but that have had all their ability and confidence sucked out of them... however, as each game passes, they seem no closer to regaining them. A complete rebuild of our first team will be required, in order to repeat and build on (relative) successes of past few seasons. With several players on longer term deals, how easy will this be? How attractive will the club be to prospective signings, after this season? I'm working on the, possibly misguided, assumption that we'll still (somehow) be in the championship next season... if we're not, then I don't know what a realistic timescale would be to rebuild, achieve promotion, re-establish ourselves in the championship and then look at mounting play-off challenges, cup runs etc.

We can blame Locke for being Locke, we can blame the players for not doing as well as they should have, we can blame Hughes for not turning things round as expected.... but, in my opinion, the buck ought to stop with the board. They appointed Locke; they signed off on his signings and agreed to deals that were detrimental to the club (e.g. Vaughan and Bates, goalkeeping shenanigans) and they allowed the rot to set in, leaving it far too late to bring in a replacement with a fighting chance of turning things round. To be fair, I think Hughes was the best appointment they could possibly have made - but he's been handed a hopeless task.

I'm at a loss to think of what carrots the board can dangle, for us, to entice season ticket sales for 2017-18. 

I feel I should continue to support the club by buying a season ticket, but I am at the point I just want to go back to attending 5-10 games a season on a pay at the gate basis.

That way I don't have to attend any of our games through the eternally shite 'clocks go back' period. The club then may have to get their fucking finger out their hole and realise that being shite from October to March is unacceptable.

If and when we are relegated, we should really be looking at Full time/part time players. Full time football and Raith Rovers doesn't work. This is the worst Raith team since the Anelka/Dalziel debacle. I cringe at the "there's a good team in there" I mean where the f**k about. Yesterday was a prime example that they don't give a shit and have no desire for a fight to stay in this league. This club constantly shoots themselves in the foot and I've had enough. Humped 4-0 to part timers is a disgrace at any level. Not one player signed or not deserves to be here. Sorry if this upsets you guys, but that's how I feel

Complete clearout would have us right back where we were when we were stuck with Dalziel in the Second Division.

The players we have signed up are a good basis for a squad, especially if we good down. We then need a manager who can build the rest of the squad and get them playing football. Easier said than done.

29 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

If and when we are relegated, we should really be looking at Full time/part time players. Full time football and Raith Rovers doesn't work. This is the worst Raith team since the Anelka/Dalziel debacle. I cringe at the "there's a good team in there" I mean where the f**k about. Yesterday was a prime example that they don't give a shit and have no desire for a fight to stay in this league. This club constantly shoots themselves in the foot and I've had enough. Humped 4-0 to part timers is a disgrace at any level. Not one player signed or not deserves to be here. Sorry if this upsets you guys, but that's how I feel

I've been staunchly in the "good team in there" camp up until recently. I certainly think there was a good team in there at the start of the season and, even though results were crap, probably up until the festive period. Everything has festered for too long now and the whole (first team) squad just looks devoid of football. Personally, I'd be glad to have Cuthbert, Benedictus, Davo and Bobby Barr going forward (plus the development squad - they've had so little impact on the first team, it wouldn't be fair to include them!). Maybe the rest of them can come good under a new manager coming in over the close season? Only time will tell. 

40 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Complete clearout would have us right back where we were when we were stuck with Dalziel in the Second Division.

The players we have signed up are a good basis for a squad, especially if we good down. We then need a manager who can build the rest of the squad and get them playing football. Easier said than done.

That's kind of where I feel we're heading (in terms of the first team squad)... back to the point we were at before John McGlynn came in, except we've got several players under contract. I think we've regressed massively this season - for all their faults we did have some (relative) successes and progress under McGlynn, Murray (Ramsdens Cup win only!) and McKinnon.

Although I've almost given up hope, I'd like to think you're right with your second paragraph!

A wee while ago there were folk saying they were perplexed at our poor form, as we had pretty much the same team that was so good last season. Now the argument is we've no good players at all?

As ever, the answer is probably somewhere in-between.

In that squad, we've the rump of an okay Championship side, which this season has been shorn of our more creative players in Connolly, Craigen and for the first half of the season, Hardie.

Unlike last term, we've also lacked a manager who can set us up correctly, make changes when required, motivate and generally be relied upon to make good decisions.

If relegated, what we've got, with a few decent additions, should win League One, as long as the correct manager is appointed. The last part there is key of course.

Unless St. Mirren came down with us right enough, then we'd probably lose out in the playoffs since our record in them is beyond guff.

3 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

A wee while ago there were folk saying they were perplexed at our poor form, as we had pretty much the same team that was so good last season. Now the argument is we've no good players at all?

As ever, the answer is probably somewhere in-between.

In that squad, we've the rump of an okay Championship side, which this season has been shorn of our more creative players in Connolly, Craigen and for the first half of the season, Hardie.

Unlike last term, we've also lacked a manager who can set us up correctly, make changes when required, motivate and generally be relied upon to make good decisions.

If relegated, what we've got, with a few decent additions, should win League One, as long as the correct manager is appointed. The last part there is key of course.

Unless St. Mirren came down with us right enough, then we'd probably lose out in the playoffs since our record in them is beyond guff.

You're probably, and hopefully, right. I'm just on a downer about the Rovers at the moment - which isn't like me! 

I think, having lost confidence in the board's decision making, I'm not holding out much hope for our next managerial appointment.... which, as you say, will be crucial.

Sacking Locke was never going to cure all our ills, but it seems that the squad is poor as well. That is entirely Gary Locke's fault. 

We have the largest squad we've had in years, and yet it has been so poorly put together it's painful. We have an abundance of midfielders, of which none of them seem to be much good at creating chances and absolutely no competition at full back either. This has punished us on several occasions this season, with someone (Thomson, Davidson or Bene) shifting out of position to cover. Our options up front aren't great either on the basis of goals scored. 

We have good options at centre back; that's about it. 

I'm honestly fuming at Roberts for that reaction at Yaw. He literally balloons the ball over the bar about 1 minute before in the highlights. A fucking charlatan of a footballer, and a total dick to boot.

This. Wee fud.

5 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Could be East Fife in the play offs, just as we make it 30 years since they last beat us.

Perfect Storm 

f**k that shit. Wouldn't go into a game like that with the squad that we've got at the moment. We've got a few players who might have an understanding over it, but the overwhelming majority of our team wouldn't give a f**k. In the season we won the second division, we had Willie Gray who practically wrote our team talk for us. The season after we'd signed Tade who used to get dog's abuse off them so would always play a blinder.

I wouldn't anticipate a lot of the players who are out of contract would give that much of a f**k about an important fixture and the context it is in.