The New Raith Rovers Thread

What a horrendous result. Right back to square one now.

No idea where we go from here.

We're in the same relegation battle we were in before the game, but in a worse position.

Ayr are as brutal as us and St Mirren have a lot of ground to make up.

To be honest, I still think we look like we may finish in one of the bottom two spots and the last two games of the season will probably sort out whether that happens or not.

This site is usually accurate for when contracts expire. Whether we like it or not the following will be here next year.
Cuthbert, Benedictus, C Barr, B Barr, Thomson, Davidson, Callachan and Stewart. In addition Ross Matthews is under contract until May 2019.

Pretty happy about that. That's the core of a decent side. Just need some good additions and a capable manager. Who can be Ray McKinnon mkII?

Let's ditch the talk about even considering keeping Craig Barr. Complete waste of a wage every single season.

Here for another year according to the website. Maybe we'll get one full season before he goes.

I have been told that we were fairly poor today and never looked like giving Dumbarton a game

Unless this squad of players pick up we might not win another game so purely depend on Ayr & St Mirren if we are to avoid the big D

It is up to the players. Will they stand up and be counted on today's performance who knows ? 

Very harsh. Not played a lot of games, but those he has played in he's been reliable.

It's not that harsh. While a good player, he misses most of the season with injury. Him and Robertson are two, probably reasonably high, wages that we've been without most of the season.

However, if the website is correct Barr is here until 2018, so let's hope he can stay injury free.

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Very harsh. Not played a lot of games, but those he has played in he's been reliable.

according to the manager, in his interview, none of them were reliable today

he was obviously disappointed in them and hopefully in the secrecy of the dressing room he told some home truths

Here's my tuppence. I'm ignoring contract length, and going on a pure keep/punt basis: 

Cuthbert - Definite keep. He's no Davie McGurn, but then nobody is. As good a goalkeeper as we'll get at this level, the kind of player who could be offered a three year deal without any real worries.

Thomson - Maybe a controversial one, but I'd be having a real think about it. I'm not convinced there aren't better right backs out there. If we released him, would any other full time clubs be queuing up to take him on? I'm not sure. Wouldn't be at all upset to see him kept on, but I think he's on a shooglier peg than most club captains. At the very least, needs some competition next season.

McHattie - I'd keep him. Again, needs competition/cover, but he's been fine. Would rather focus energy elsewhere when it comes to replacements.

Callachan - Huge question mark. Willing to keep him on but he needs to decide what his game is. Clue: It's not shooting from 30 yards.

M'Voto - I'd keep him like Stevo keeps goal. Desperately.

Benedictus - He's good when he's not at left back. Definitely the better half of the Bene/Toshney partnership. 

Johnston - Not for me, Clive.

Robertson - Plays less football than Douglas Bader. Didn't particularly impress me last season.

Stewart - Happy to keep him, he's handy to have around the squad, but would any other team aiming for the play-offs take him? I'm not sure.

Vaughan - Plays for Dumbarton, what a lark. Should still play for us, hope he will next season.

B. Barr - One of the few players who has, in flashes, shown the potential to challenge M'Voto for player of the year. A definite keep.

Matthews - I'm not on the hype bus with this one, sorry. More than willing to keep him on and keep giving him chances, it's the only way for a club like ours, but I can't see that he's offering anything particularly special. At best, he doesn't look out of place.

Davidson - Willing to admit I'm in the minority, but I love the big fella. I'd keep him around doing whatever needs done. I'd like to see him replace Drysdale, actually.  

Osei - Hardly seen anything of him. Following him on Twitter has taught me what a "peng ting" is though, so there's that. 

Coustrain - Jo-ell. Superman's long lost Irish cousin. Looks like a real prospect in the rare occasion he's allowed to kick a fucking football for us. 

Lennox - Kept a clean sheet against Dunfermline despite being unable to move for the majority of the match. Had his face kicked in. He's Australian? I know nothing else about him. Utter waste of our only over 21 loan, not that that's his fault.

Roberts - I don't think he's quite as bad as some are making out, but he's also not very good. Don't expect to see him after the summer.

Skacel - Hahaha.

McManus - Less confidence than a slack bladdered pensioner with hayfever. Looks more likely to cause a fight with a team-mate or a supporter than to actually score a goal. He'll be returned to Fleetwood where he'll promptly be released, and will return to League One in Scotland and bang in 20 before once again failing in the Championship.

Thompson - Mind that goal he scored at Tannadice? Halcyon days. Don't expect to see him again.

Brennan - The fifth best goalkeeper to have played for us this season. Won't play full-time football after this season.

Penksa - bae

Hardie - Will probably be released by Rangers. Would happily take him back, he's clearly got talent. 

C Barr - I really like him. If we'd had him fit all season, I don't think we'd be in quite such a shite position. Forever a gamble on fitness, but I'd be willing to give him another shot. 

21 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

according to the manager, in his interview, none of them were reliable today

he was obviously disappointed in them and hopefully in the secrecy of the dressing room he told some home truths

Manager sounds like he has no faith in the players at all. Said he wasn't to harsh on them in dressing room because they are fragile. What the f**k is that meant to mean? Utterly pathetic. I feel sorry for the manager tbh

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

This might be unpopular...but there must be better right backs out there than Thomson? He has been awful this season.

Spot on he has been shit all season and even worse than that since he returned from injury. Bene looks a better option at RB now 

Gottae say lads, that's the poorest Raith I've seen in years, our keeper Alan Martin had a couple of decent saves, but The Sons were never really in danger today. That was a real show of character from us after a 5-1 humping last week @ East End Park, for me that was the difference between the two teams, the Rovers players looked as though they'd never played together before, whereas Sons worked their arses off for each other.

I genuinely hope you stay up though, enjoy the banter wi the Raith fans before games in the boozer.

What's the point of having someone who for THREE YEARS has only played in the 2nd half of the season - mainly from the end of Feb? We can't afford such passengers/luxuries on our budget. But yet again we have fans saying we should take a punt on next year being the one where he's finally fit. Give me a break.

2 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

What's the point of having someone who for THREE YEARS has only played in the 2nd half of the season - mainly from the end of Feb? We can't afford such passengers/luxuries on our budget. But yet again we have fans saying we should take a punt on next year being the one where he's finally fit. Give me a break.

Image result for Kit Kat

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

This site is usually accurate for when contracts expire. Whether we like it or not the following will be here next year.

Cuthbert, Benedictus, C Barr, B Barr, Thomson, Davidson, Callachan and Stewart. In addition Ross Matthews is under contract until May 2019.

Forgot about Lewis Vaughan.

My tuppence worth.

Cuthbert, glad he'll be with us next season, shame he's had such a poor defence in front of him this term. Need a solid back up signed in the summer though. Maybe Penksa, not sure about Lennox but certainly not Brennan.

Jason Thomson has had a poor season, even when he's been available he has been sorely missed. Needs to be much much better next term. Not the captain either.

McHattie ok going forward but poor at defending, how I miss his 2 predecessors. Shame we lost Mackie.

Mvoto, great in the air but slow and not great on the deck, he'll be away elsewhere anyway, young replacement needed, what a shame Bates is away.

Bene, player of the year and the only one who looks like he really cares. Make him captain.

Craig Barr, slower this year than last, if he is indeed still here and can stay fit he should partner Bene.

Davo, squad player.

Johnston, too injury prone and lightweight, had hoped he'd be like Connolly but alas no. Squad player at best Upgrade required.

Robertson, will be gone I think he is finished, poor sod.

Cal, needs a class act alongside him to help him improve, the lads going backwards.

Matthew, good squad player who may yet make good.

Bobby Barr, can't do it alone, needs a better team around him to help him. He's not bad but he's not the messiah.

Stewart, good squad player but we need other/better options up front.

Vaughan, needs a good foil to play off, shame Locke didn't sign one.

Coulstrain, could be the talisman of the bunch but needs help too.

Roberts, punt!

McManus has had a poor season but I'm not convinced it's all his fault, the service he has had from his midfield has been appalling. He won't stay.

Osei & Court, good for development league but not ready for 1st team.

in an ideal world we'd have (as we had last year at this point) a manager in place for next season making his signings now. Sadly we can't do any of that given the position we are in.

to recap we need,

a manager, a keeper, 2 fullbacks, a central defender, at least 1 midfield playmaker, a winger and a striker or two.