The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think there's a case for saying our entire attack (and midfield) are imposters - 8 goals scored in 17 games. There were enough chances created last night to win the game (despite an understandably defensive line up), but in the past few weeks there's an argument to say the strikers have been hung out to dry by a midfield that can't create enough for them. 

There are other things that should be avoided too - like pairing Callachan and Davidson together in midfield. Indeed, Davidson should be kept out of midfield altogether. 

Up front is a tough one as well. No one is scoring goals, so it is a bit of a lottery there. Even then, how much time have Hardie and Stewart been given together, when they looked a decent pairing last season? Very little. Then there was Vaughan...not saying he would be the saviour, but was loaned out when theae scoring problems were painfully apparent. 

Nope. Definitely the midfield. Service has been utter shite all season. Stewart and Hardie are a proven pairing, just as Stewart and Vaughan were. They just need games together and they'll score, if they have decent service. They obviously haven't had decent service or enough game time as pairings. And by service, I don't mean the huff and puff, scrappy half chances that we now associate as good chances.

In some respects you'd be better letting one of our more knowledgable fans pick the starting XI than the likes of Locke or Yogi. We've sat and watched this team for years, and from good vantage points, rather than from pitch level in a dugout.

I agree that Davidson should only ever be used in midfield if it's a dire emergency. Other than that he should be in defence.

For me, whatever happens, the midfield needs changed. Whether that's personnel or a new manager getting more out it by changing style, I'm not sure.

The other weakness for me has been the full back positions. No cover and McHattie has been hit or miss, with Thomson being out injured then looking short of match fitness.

7 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

Unless one of our goalkeepers is fit next week then Stevenson will be in goal again judging by Hughes's comments post match. Apparently no point in signing a youngster because they wouldn't have done any better than Stevenson.

He's probably right in terms of last night. 

Going forward, though, what about the teams who aren't shit enough to have less points than us? 

46 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Whilst I appreciate I'm clutching at straws left right and centre here, I still don't think it's certain that we'll go down, although I admit it's extremely likely on current form.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest we might have a goalkeeper for the St Mirren game, which would certainly be a start at least. Last night had circumstances which were pretty extraordinary and won't be repeated (hopefully.)

We also looked like we were the better team judging by the highlights. I admit, using Ayr as a barometer isn't a particularly high marker, but we at least created chances.

As for Hughes's two previous games, I honestly think his substitutions and team selections knackered us in both, which he alluded to himself, so at least he recognises his mistakes and presumably won't make them again. Or I suppose he might make new mistakes, but you know what I mean.

This wee spell of games was crucial though, and we've already lost to a pretty terrible Ayr team, with a resurgent St Mirren coming up followed by a suddenly half decent Dumbarton.

If we come out of those two with anything less than 4 points, considering we're presumably needing 38-40 to stay up, then I think we're probably goosed.

Hopefully Yogi sees what he wants as well.

See when Pars fans sing about Raith Rovers being a "wee team"? Stuff like last night is why.

I thought it was 'cause of the likes of Craig Johnston and Aiden Connolly. Thanks for clearing that up.

That and us being your big rivals whose shadow you've been living in for the past few years.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That and us being your big rivals whose shadow you've been living in for the past few decades.

Fixed for you x

7 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

As opposed to fielding ineligible players in the Scottish Cup, or playing a Fife derby with 12 players?

Right you are m8.

We stayed in the cup because we're a big team and went on to win the league in the other game you mention.

Try again m8.

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Don't forget walking down Kirkcaldy high street with an old bed sheet singing about how much they hate Raith Rovers.

We have some fans with a Rovers-esque wee team mindset but the club is establishment AF.

Don't forget walking down Kirkcaldy high street with an old bed sheet singing about how much they hate Raith Rovers.

That was the ultimate embarrassment. They should just steer clear of bedsheets altogether.

26 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

What's your views on the buck toothed one in his first 3 games?

He hasn't helped himself with some weird decisions. Making all 3 substitutions 2 minutes after taking the lead against Hibs and playing no full backs against Queens. Also seems to be the latest manager who insists Davidson must play at all costs.

He has been left with a large squad full of shit though. We missed a couple of fantastic chances last night that really he can't do much about.

My gut feeling is that he could turn us good in time, but he doesnt have time.

Edited by CALDERON

I said after the Queens game that last night wouldn't be the decider for us, but it's exceptionally frustrating that we're in the position we're in and if we continue as we are, it won't be long before it'll be too late. 

The goalkeeper farce is absolutely ridiculous. Not one person came out of last night in a good light for our club aside from Stevo who by all accounts made a couple of good saves. Listening to Drysdale's interview, it's clear that they'd exhausted every option but the possibility of playing an outfield player in goal was always going to be something which could've happened since we faced Dundee United and Cuthbert got injured. The fact nothing has been done during that period up to Brennan's injury is crazy, albeit I appreciate we have budget constraints. 

For the rest of the team, they really need to have a look at what's going on. The goal last night was a simple short corner and McHattie was too slow to get out to it. Despite having Benedictus, Barr and M'Voto all in there we couldn't in the header in the box. Obviously we'll concede goals, but it just appeared we've been beaten in the split seconds over the park at that moment. 

In midfield, we're far too raw. Davidson adds experience, but he's also utterly rancid. Callachan is a good player when he sticks to the basics. If he can focus on getting the ball up the pitch, then brilliant. But speculative 30 yard shots into the stand don't help anyone.

I've been unsure over Jordan Thompson all season, but I really don't see what he offers us in the team. I'd far rather we dropped him and Davidson, and replace him with Craig Barr and Matthews. On the wings, neither Johnstone or Scott Roberts should be starting. It simply needs to be Bobby Barr and Coustrain. Both are quick and skillful players who have the attributes to drive on and attack teams. 

Up front is utter chaos. Stewart and Hardie worked well last season, but we're missing the creativitiy in midfield which we had in the likes of Aiden Connolly, Louis Longridge and James Craigen. Those three were superb last season in terms of getting the ball forward or find passes. McManus is far too similar to Stewart, but doesn't seem to be in the box enough to be effective. Can't see Skacel getting starts given he's not featured under Hughes. And Osei looked very raw at the start of the season, but has been scoring for fun in the development league, but in untested at this level. 

I'd rather we cut out the extra man in midfield, sign a goal keeper and go to a 4-4-2 rather than trying stuff like 4-2-3-1 and complicating things. It's a case where we're in a shit situation, and shit decisions have been made, but we've still got 10 games to play. Clubs like Dumbarton and St Mirren aren't going to be sitting about moaning about their luck. We need the players to go out and start getting a siege mentality. 

Absolutely agree with that, rw89 - an excellent summary of where we are. 

I can accept that we've been unlucky last night in not being able to field a goalkeeper, but it's an example of a daft decision coming back to bite us on the arse. Everyone said it was stupid using our over age loan on a back up goalkeeper, and playing him in the development league. Look what it's caused - he's injured and we have to use trialists there because we didn't boter signing another one. Then our other two goalkeepers get injured and we've a major problem...

We can, however, only work with what we've been given, and I don't believe we're getting the best out of it.