The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just watching the video of the Rovers foray into Europe in '95 - Happy Days, Glory Nights. Quality. Highlights of the games with that team from The Faroes, Akranes and, of course, Bayern Munich.

Jock Brown commentating on the Akranes game suggests an erie atmosphere in the ground as due to reduced capacity there's only 5000 odd in. Place is bouncing. f**k knows what he'd make of the current morgue-like atmosphere.

Quinny is famous.

Ground looks great back then with the terracing and the enclosure in front of the Main Stand open. Much better than it is today.

Was this or the coca cola cup video ever made into dvd? I still have the videos but no video player

Interesting that Hughes describes McBride as a total football man. Unbelievable that with the exception of the McKinnon season we've had more than a decade of graduates of the Jim Jeffries school of football and now, within the space of a week, we've got not one but two 'total football men'. If only that could last a decade. Deadline News link

I'm really hopeful that we won't be doing high balls up the pitch to Stewart and McManus. A part of me is slightly happy that McHattie is suspended because he infuriates me so much with the length of time he takes to kick the ball. He gets closed down pretty quickly most of the time.

I've not been this excited for a game in a while as well. Might just be the new manager buzz right enough.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Just watching the video of the Rovers foray into Europe in '95 - Happy Days, Glory Nights. Quality. Highlights of the games with that team from The Faroes, Akranes and, of course, Bayern Munich.

Jock Brown commentating on the Akranes game suggests an erie atmosphere in the ground as due to reduced capacity there's only 5000 odd in. Place is bouncing. f**k knows what he'd make of the current morgue-like atmosphere.

Quinny is famous.

Ground looks great back then with the terracing and the enclosure in front of the Main Stand open. Much better than it is today.

Only time I've ever been in the North stand end at Starks, was standing where the away part of the Railway stand is now. 

Loved the ground like that. 

Were those games early kick offs?  I have a vague memory of having to keep quiet about these games as it meant bunking off Primary school for a couple of hours. 

Edited by CALDERON

Only time I've ever been in the North stand end at Starks, was standing where the away part of the Railway stand is now. 
Loved the ground like that. 
Were those games early kick offs?  I have a vague memory of having to keep quiet about these games as it meant bunking off Primary school for a couple of hours. 

From memory the Bayern home game was an early kick off. Think the Akranes home game was too.

From memory the Bayern home game was an early kick off. Think the Akranes home game was too.

I decided not to go to Arkranes away leg and take my chances with the next round.

The second leg was live on the radio, and when we went a goal down, I had to switch it off, as I was adamant I'd missed my chance to see us away from home in Europe.

Turned it on to hear the commentator going radge about us getting through. What a feeling.

I decided not to go to Arkranes away leg and take my chances with the next round.

The second leg was live on the radio, and when we went a goal down, I had to switch it off, as I was adamant I'd missed my chance to see us away from home in Europe.

Turned it on to hear the commentator going radge about us getting through. What a feeling.

I listened to Akranes away on the radio too. I also bumped the game in the hope we'd get a glamour tie and was also sweating that we were going out on away goals.

I was down in Kent at my pals when the draw for the next round was made. From memory the last 3 names in the hat were us, PSV Eindhoven and Bayern Munich. Then PSV came out and that was only us and Bayern left.

Spent my budget and went to Akranes on the basis we wouldn,t make the next round,how wrong I was.Found the money though to make it Munchen

I was skint when Munich came around but my folks gave me the £269 to get to Munich on the package from Edinburgh Airport.

Was also skint scary but a wee bit gentle persuasion and the Mrs found the money to send me on my way.Although I would like to say unlikely I,ll never see it happening again my life time so money well spent

You didn,t happen to be on the package from Novar Bar

That rings a bell. Think it was that one.

I'll never forget my old mans reaction when I checked the draw on Ceefax to find out it was Bayern. I was only wee at the time so didn't take it in, can't imagine how it must have felt.

That was definitely a moment if you're a Rovers fan. Better still if you were watching the draw come in.

If there is any to get a copy of those scary let me know.

I was at all the home games but was too young to go away unfortunately.

About 10 years ago we were flogging DVDs rip offs of Dancing in the Streets (Coca-Cola Cup Final DVD) and some dodgy highlights of the 92/93 season, where we went unbeaten at home all season and won the league.

Someone else did the European one. All monies raised went to the club.

If I ever get some spare time I'll upload them.

TBH the club should probably investigate some way of getting a range of DVDs out: Dancing in the Streets, European campaign, Ramsden's Cup Final.