The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was effective because he had a spectacular squad who were well drilled.

Not really been following the thread so apologies if anythings been said already. We were warned by Hibs and Falkirk fans what to expect from Yogi. Great success in the first year or two then a decline. Falkirk got promoted, can't remember any details about Hibs.

It was a great time to watch ICT but Yogi took over a good squad from Butcher and didn't seem able to replace players who moved on to bigger clubs. Apparently Latapy was a big factor in his success and ICT were never the same after he left to be replaced by Brian Rice, yogi's old mate.

Two main things annoyed ICT fans in the end: we became boring and predictable, and after Yogi was refused permission to speak to United he seemed to down tools. Somehow he got a new 2 year contract but then had a stand-off with the chairman and engineered his own departure. AFAIK ICT are still paying him and we have had to go for the cheap option in Richie Foran.

There is absolutely nothing bizarre about playing it out from the back and who gives a a fuck what happened in one game against Dunfermline over 4 years ago. Fact is his Inverness side were undefeated in 80 of about 120 Premiership league games. That'll do for me.

You've taken that well.

There was absolutely something wrong with playing it out from the back, he was getting his goalkeeper to chip it out to his full back everytime, Dunfermline cottoned onto this and put extreme pressure on the back line and profited very well, rather than change this particular tactic Hughes went absolutely ballistic at his goalkeeper when he did try and play it long, he showed a complete unwillingness to adapt to a situation, instead showing a light headed stubbornness in his " football philosophy".

If he does as well as he did at Inverness or Falkirk rk then it'll be great, if he does as he did at Livi, Hibs or Hartlepool then meh.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

The only thing I remember about him as a Livingston manager was his bizarre insistence that they must play it out from the back, I'm sure we fucked them 3-0 that day and it was largely down to Hughes.

Completely wrong. 

It was 4-0 :(

45 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

There is absolutely nothing bizarre about playing it out from the back and who gives a a fuck what happened in one game against Dunfermline over 4 years ago. Fact is his Inverness side were undefeated in 80 of about 120 Premiership league games. That'll do for me.

It wasn't just one game against Dunfermline, it was almost every game he was here.

Bobby Barr will be gutted anyway, that's him out on loan. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You've taken that well.

There was absolutely something wrong with playing it out from the back, he was getting his goalkeeper to chip it out to his full back everytime, Dunfermline cottoned onto this and put extreme pressure on the back line and profited very well, rather than change this particular tactic Hughes went absolutely ballistic at his goalkeeper when he did try and play it long, he showed a complete unwillingness to adapt to a situation, instead showing a light headed stubbornness in his " football philosophy".

If he does as well as he did at Inverness or Falkirk rk then it'll be great, if he does as he did at Livi, Hibs or Hartlepool then meh.

We got pumped 5-0 at home by Dundee United in the cup due to them using the same tactic.

United never won the cup tho and we did the following season so all good eh!

4 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

It wasn't just one game against Dunfermline, it was almost every game he was here.

Bobby Barr will be gutted anyway, that's him out on loan. 

I'd like to think that Barr calmed down under McKinnon. It's been quite a while since the incident, and he's not really had any 'heids gone' moments over the last couple of years. Even then, he only needs to worry about until the summer. 

Delighted and surprised by the appointment. He's been my preferred choice since it all started going tits up back in November or so under Locke. Getting him in until the end of the season offers both parties a chance to have a review if it all goes pear shaped. But mostly, I'm happy that we'll have someone who has a relatively solid track record. I'm quietly confident he'll have what it takes and has a very large squad at his disposal. 

Also, he'll hopefully see that we're not using Skacel, Stevenson, and probably Roberts too. 

To all the Raith fans, do not get your hopes up. I think the fact that anyone is better then Locke is clouding your judgment.

His style of play is playing from the back, ball retention and everything through a narrow midfield.

If you have cm's that are around 3ft tall and 6stone soaking wet then you might be ok.

If it doesn't work he has no plan B.

3 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

That's excellent news. I used to watch Livingston play us off the park game after game and hoped and dreamed I'd see a Rovers team play like that. We've had long ball crap for too many years now.

Only in Scotland would you get people describing trying to get the ball down and playing out from the back as a being bad thing, it's no wonder our leagues and National team are awful when that's the attitude.  Maybe he will be a success and maybe he won't but I would rather we tried to play football instead of just kicking it long up the park.  

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You've taken that well.

Meh is perfectly acceptable this season.

Only in Scotland would you get people describing trying to get the ball down and playing out from the back as a being bad thing, it's no wonder our leagues and National team are awful when that's the attitude.  Maybe he will be a success and maybe he won't but I would rather we tried to play football instead of just kicking it long up the park.  

It wasn't that I was getting at. However his lack of plan b when that doesn't work was frustrating.

3 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

C4T-qHEWAAEQV6s.jpg

When did he turn into grown up Stewie ?

On paper its a good appointment and of course adds so much more to the league than a Locke appointment. Im pretty sure he was pretty much hot or cold at Livvy, whom probably could be linked to being a similar job as in where both clubs were at, of course not history or being plastic.

A quick browse through comments and laughed at the Bobby Barr comments, TBF the fall out list will be much bigger than Bobby Barr, sure he fell out with Jack Ross, so the St Mirren game might be more interesting off the park.

Im sure our support will give him a warm welcome but deep down Im sure many will like myself will admit he gave us our most successful times in recent years, but his ego spoilt what he achieved and left us in a mess, tho our owners hammered the final nail.

Good to see him back, tho hopefully our record v his managed teams improve as he has proven to have something over us 

FGExcellentAdventure4.jpg