The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well that's assuming something hasn't happened in the background re Cuthbert. Even if Cuthbert did leave there's no reason why a little come and go couldn't have been put in place to allow McGurn to step back into the number 1 role and then retain Laidlaw as back up. The Witch is more than capable.

I've always thought Murray must be raging, sidelining McGurn may not have been what got him sacked, but it was certainly a big trigger point. He then get's to watch the next guy sideline McGurn, and the guy after that punt him out the door, depsite the board's "bumper" contract for McGurn.

Edited by renton

Well that's assuming something hasn't happened in the background re Cuthbert. Even if Cuthbert did leave there's no reason why a little come and go couldn't have been put in place to allow McGurn to step back into the number 1 role and then retain Laidlaw as back up. The Witch is more than capable.

It's not about being capable though is it? It's about being available to train with your defence and work on set pieces, and play in bounce games and small sided training games instead of leaving a kid to play in goal. I can absolutely appreciate why managers don't want to work with a part time goalkeeper in an otherwise full time squad no matter how good they are. In an emergency position needs must but as an expected arrangement for a season it's a problem.

I've always thought Murray must be raging, sidelining McGurn may not have been what got him sacked, but it was certainly a big trigger point. He then get's to watch the next guy sideline McGurn, and the guy after that punt him out the door, depsite the board's "bumper" contract for McGurn.

We were all taken for a ride with the boards all singing and dancing contract extension for McGurn. Shrewd business move from them on the back of the news that Murray had been sacked. They knew fine well that what better way to get the fans back on board than sacking Murray was to re-sign McGurn. I think even the board knew that McGurn's days were numbered when they offered him that deal.

It's not about being capable though is it? It's about being available to train with your defence and work on set pieces, and play in bounce games and small sided training games instead of leaving a kid to play in goal. I can absolutely appreciate why managers don't want to work with a part time goalkeeper in an otherwise full time squad no matter how good they are. In an emergency position needs must but as an expected arrangement for a season it's a problem.

This.

No sympathy for Murray.  He didnt get the best out of Cuthbert, and there was no evidence at all to suggest Cuthbert would have a good season under his stewardship.

I completely understand both ray mac and gary lockes decisions on the gk position, you want your nomber one and number two keepers in training every day. You want them competing to keep the as strong as ever, you want the full squad in training every day to be a team and a unit. Regardless who they are how can it be ok for one player not to train but expect to be on the team sheet come saturdays. Not fair to the rest of the team.

But for me it seems the rumours may well be true that cuthbert is ready to jump to united if they can match what we want for him considering he on a 2 year deal.

Other than that, laidlaw has refused the contract over the weekend and has now been told its no longer on the table, and cuthebert and lennox will now fight it out for number one jersey, and locke wants proper competative edge in training.

Other than that, laidlaw has refused the contract over the weekend and has now been told its no longer on the table, and cuthebert and lennox will now fight it out for number one jersey, and locke wants proper competative edge in training.

I'm assuming he's refused the contract offer in the last couple of hours as the article online (posted earlier today) said we were still in talks with him in a bid to retain him.

Imagine this can only mean Cuthbert is away, otherwise it's a frankly mental signing.

On one hand it looks like a waste using our over-21 loan for a 2nd choice goalkeeper, but if push came to shove, would anyone of us preferred having to fall back on Laidlaw?

Doubt we'd sign Cuthbert tbh, haven't heard any rumours of it plus would have to pay a fee. Only goalkeeper I've heard been linked to us is Cammy Bell.

Is Cuthbert any good? Seen he was in team of the season this year

Edited by powerhouse7

Seen the pics on the OS? Looks like Bene has enjoyed his holidays..

it's not exactly helping his hairline that do he's sporting. I could be wrong but I didn't see Toshney in those photos.

it's not exactly helping his hairline that do he's sporting. I could be wrong but I didn't see Toshney in those photos.

Didn't see Craig Barr in there either. Or Scott Robertson.

Doesn't mean anything.

Edited by renton