Quick Question Thread

20 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

I have family viewing a house that's non-traditional construction. It's not much of an issue in terms of mortgage etc but wanted to know a bit more about it.

It's a concrete construction called "panelcrete". Google isn't really giving much clues as to benefits/draw backs of said construction. It was built about 90 years ago.

Anyone know anything about it?

I've not heard of Panelcrete but suspect its something like a Dorran Construction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom

I think the principal issue with the construction is that it is a series of precast concrete panels that are bolted together (usually) with non-stainless steel bolts that, in the Scottish climate, have a habit of rusting a wee bit after 50 or 60 years. But because they are behind wall finishes, you cannot tell whether they have rusted away or not. Which means your concrete panels can end up free standing. Until something hits one of them. Then your house has the potential to become something akin to a house of cards.

It's a while since I've been in the market mortgage market (and 2008 has probably changed all the rules anyhoo) but it used to be that Halifax were about the only real mainstream lender that would take them on as security...

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I've not heard of Panelcrete but suspect its something like a Dorran Construction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom

I think the principal issue with the construction is that it is a series of precast concrete panels that are bolted together (usually) with non-stainless steel bolts that, in the Scottish climate, have a habit of rusting a wee bit after 50 or 60 years. But because they are behind wall finishes, you cannot tell whether they have rusted away or not. Which means your concrete panels can end up free standing. Until something hits one of them. Then your house has the potential to become something akin to a house of cards.

It's a while since I've been in the market mortgage market (and 2008 has probably changed all the rules anyhoo) but it used to be that Halifax were about the only real mainstream lender that would take them on as security...

Anyone want to buy an Italian bridge?

I like Turkish Delight,  I do.  A lot of people don't like Turkish Delight, I mean Fry's Turkish Delight, the type with the chocolate on it and the purple wrapper.  But I like it.
A lot of people say "ugh, Turkish Delight, that's disgusting, how can you eat that? It's like eating perfume, it's like eating old women's perfume.  Like lavender water, or rose water or whatever it is.  How can you like that?"
But I like it. I like Turkish Delight.  I don't like it enough to get it every day, or every week.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I got a Turkish Delight, but every now and then, I'll be in a shop and I walk past the shelves with all the chocolate and I'll see a Turkish Delight and I'll get it. It's nice, I like it.  I like Turkish Delight.  

what do you like?

Moving flat and Sky have said that the earliest an openreach engineer can go to the flat to reactivate the line (there is a line there but no dial tone) is October 1st. Is there any way I can get this done sooner or am I fucked? And anyone got any recommendations for a good portable WiFi box or other entirety solution that I can use for the next few weeks?

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Moving flat and Sky have said that the earliest an openreach engineer can go to the flat to reactivate the line (there is a line there but no dial tone) is October 1st. Is there any way I can get this done sooner or am I fucked? And anyone got any recommendations for a good portable WiFi box or other entirety solution that I can use for the next few weeks?

Could you have a word with them about mine and @Melanius Mullarkey 's wifi? It's shite but as busy chaps, phoning them up to moan is a bit of a stretch. 

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Moving flat and Sky have said that the earliest an openreach engineer can go to the flat to reactivate the line (there is a line there but no dial tone) is October 1st. Is there any way I can get this done sooner or am I fucked? And anyone got any recommendations for a good portable WiFi box or other solution that I can use for the next few weeks?

something along these lines will see you right for the rest of the month...

91mCALcXOYL.thumb.jpg.ec54c85d5f56bcceb403723da3def37c.jpg

HH beat me to it with a lower brow answer but I’d say buy a book FFS. 2 weeks without Sky? First World Problems for this pish.

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Could you have a word with them about mine and @Melanius Mullarkey 's wifi? It's shite but as busy chaps, phoning them up to moan is a bit of a stretch. 

Ask them to switch it off.

Since when has a goal direct from a corner kick been called an Olympic goal? Question in a quiz in one of today's papers here asked "From where on a soccer field is an "Olympic goal" scored. Double stuff and fucking nonsense - soccer & olympic goal.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Since when has a goal direct from a corner kick been called an Olympic goal? Question in a quiz in one of today's papers here asked "From where on a soccer field is an "Olympic goal" scored. Double stuff and fucking nonsense - soccer & olympic goal.

I was going to write a made up fact here about it being a name coined when Uruguay scored a goal direct from a corner in the 1924 Olympic Final. Then I checked where it actually is derived...

Close but no cigar. Good effort though.

10 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You'd be quicker paying DA Baracus to come round and shout at you whenever you're trying to do work at home. 

Been waiting for somebody to point out that it's BA Baracus (for 'Bad Attitude') but apparently I'm the only one sad enough to know that.