Quick Question Thread

34 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've just spent the last ten minutes perusing that website and I think it trumps "Pylon of the Month" as one of the geekiest websites out there. 

It's great!

Just from the briefest of looks, here are just a fraction of the threads from the Street Furniture sub-forum:

• Best way to clean a bollard
  • Inside a Holophane Streetlight
  • Dangers of Passively Safe Bollards
  • New poles appearing on the M1 verge between 30 & 32
  • Telegraph pole with a net on
  • Newcastle's trolley bus pylon conversations
  • Whitehaven Street Lights 1971
  • Bend in traffic light pole
  • 1933 road signs and street lighting adverts
  • Cat's Eyes Posters
  • How much does a traffic light head weigh?
  • Street Lighting Conflict Area BS5489
  • Loudest pelican/puffin crossing
  • Britain's Loneliest Bus Stops
  • Traffic Signal discussion 3  (yes, three)
  • Some Lights from Newport
  • Britain's Longest Clutter Free Street
  • London street sign font
  • Isle of Man streetlighting

Meanwhile, elsewhere:

B924 / B9170

Post by rileyrob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 09:07

Thanks to the maps which FleetlinePhil was kind enough to pass on to me, I have a query about the B9170 in Aberdeenshire.

The 1977 edition of Bartholomews North East Scotland 4Miles/inch scale map shows the entire B9170 route through Aberdeenshire as the B924. This is after the downgrading of parts of the A981 / A948. The equivalent SE sheet shows the B924 in it's normal place around Queensferry. So, is the B924 on the NE sheet a complete error, or did Grampian RC briefly use the number before being told it was a duplicate and to think again?
If it features on any other maps from the same sort of time, we should get an answer.

Bad/Unnecessary Primary Destinations.

Post by Osthagen » Sat Feb 11, 2017 20:34

I'm not sure if anybody else shares this opinion, but I'd say that there are some Primary Destinations that simply don't need to be signed as such. This may be for a number of reasons, among them are size, population or the destination may simply no longer be important. Personally, I think the list of Primary Destinations should consist mainly of towns, cities & key airports.

For unnecessary PDs, my list would include the following:

*Altrincham 
*Brent Cross
*Brough
*Colne
*Corbridge 
*Erskine Bridge
*Scotch Corner (I've always found it a bit pointless. For some reason, no PDs south of SC are signed until you reach the junction.)
*Speke 
*Tay Bridge
*Thamesport
*The City (London; 'Central London', also a PD, would be more than suitable) 
* Trafford Park
*(?)Tyne Tunnel

Are there any others? Which PDs do you think are unnecessary?

Longest possible Motorway distance

Post by Gav » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:41

It may have been done to death previously - but now wondering how you could cover the longest distance on motorways in the UK. Restriction being as soon as you hit all purpose road then thats it over.

Where would you need to start and what route would you take that would give you the longest distance.

Edited by Hedgecutter

28 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I might get crucified for this, but I was once driving with the girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend, unsurprisingly) when I noticed something and slammed on the brakes to get out and take a picture. Can you guess what caused such excitement?

No automatic alt text available.

C road.

That or a dry bit of road in Argyll.

Edited by Hedgecutter

27 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

He shoots he scores. Not normally shown on signposts, so you can forgive my exuberance. 

Next time you're back down in Galloway

05.jpg

um8.gif

Unfortunately for you some **** replaced this one with a rubbish junction sign.

50.jpg

Eta:  Ah, your username.  I know now.  ;) 

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just from the briefest of looks, here are just a fraction of the threads from the Street Furniture sub-forum:

• Best way to clean a bollard
  • Inside a Holophane Streetlight
  • Dangers of Passively Safe Bollards
  • New poles appearing on the M1 verge between 30 & 32
  • Telegraph pole with a net on
  • Newcastle's trolley bus pylon conversations
  • Whitehaven Street Lights 1971
  • Bend in traffic light pole
  • 1933 road signs and street lighting adverts
  • Cat's Eyes Posters
  • How much does a traffic light head weigh?
  • Street Lighting Conflict Area BS5489
  • Loudest pelican/puffin crossing
  • Britain's Loneliest Bus Stops
  • Traffic Signal discussion 3  (yes, three)
  • Some Lights from Newport
  • Britain's Longest Clutter Free Street
  • London street sign font
  • Isle of Man streetlighting

Sounds like the Missing Words round on Have I Got News for You

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I might get crucified for this, but I was once driving with the girlfriend (now ex-girlfriend, unsurprisingly) when I noticed something and slammed on the brakes to get out and take a picture. Can you guess what caused such excitement?

No automatic alt text available.

Glendaruel and Ruel Street are both named after the first maw to ever be brought to a fight.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Question that has bugged me for years:

Why are some passing place signs diamond shaped but others square?   There's clearly no link to which side of the road they're on and most single-track roads seem to have a combination of both.  Example:

image.php?f=Passing_place.JPG

According to the DMV:

A diamond sign always warns of possible hazards ahead
Horizontal rectangles typically provide guidance to drivers

Therefore you should definitely pay attention to the one on the left but you can safely ignore the one on the right.

Hope that helps.

If travelling from the West Wnd of Glasgow to the centre of Edinburgh towards Holyrood for 8.30am, what time should I leave? Never had to drive it and heeard horror stories about how long it could be.
What day are you going?

15 minutes ago, microdave said:
36 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
If travelling from the West Wnd of Glasgow to the centre of Edinburgh towards Holyrood for 8.30am, what time should I leave? Never had to drive it and heeard horror stories about how long it could be.

What day are you going?

Tomorrow.

1 minute ago, microdave said:
2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Tomorrow.

I'd have left yesterday tbh!

I’m currently in Edinburgh so might just sleep in the office...

I need my car to drive to a couple of places during the day, otherwise I’d get the train as usual, but have no idea if leaving at say 6am would get me into Edinburgh for 8/8.30am okay.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m currently in Edinburgh so might just sleep in the office...

I need my car to drive to a couple of places during the day, otherwise I’d get the train as usual, but have no idea if leaving at say 6am would get me into Edinburgh for 8/8.30am okay.

I'm bored. Probably.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Kelvingrove+Art+Gallery+and+Museum,+Argyle+St,+Glasgow+G3+8AG/Holyrood+Rd,+Edinburgh+EH8+8BA/@55.9384552,-4.2950732,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x488845d16be594e9:0x5258b27cf1ca9ffe!2m2!1d-4.2906039!2d55.8685891!1m5!1m1!1s0x4887c787ddd0fe73:0x6a04d339f2cb6905!2m2!1d-3.1786836!2d55.9500293!2m3!6e1!7e2!8j1535531100!3e0

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah I’ve done that, but I’m not convinced that even the maximum time it gives would be representative. It says I can leave at 6.30am and get there for 8.30am latest, but based on what some people have suggested that wouldn’t be the case. That’s why I was hoping for first hand experience.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah I’ve done that, but I’m not convinced that even the maximum time it gives would be representative. It says I can leave at 6.30am and get there for 8.30am latest, but based on what some people have suggested that wouldn’t be the case. That’s why I was hoping for first hand experience.

I know nothing about the commute, but if I had a job interview I'd leave at 5am, a meeting 6am, ordinary working day 7am.