Quick Question Thread

Chortle. Fair dos Kilbowie. Although I'm not quite sure why Gorbals Co-op should have the last say on whether Gorbals is in the city centre (which it definitely isn't obviously). 

Also, WTF does Gorbals Co-op need a Twitter account for anyway?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Chortle. Fair dos Kilbowie. Although I'm not quite sure why Gorbals Co-op should have the last say on whether Gorbals is in the city centre (which it definitely isn't obviously). 

Also, WTF does Gorbals Co-op need a Twitter account for anyway?

Only some of it. The Academy and the Co-op are the limits. Apparently.

See with American football how the teams just up and leave when they fancy, what happens to the huge mega stadiums they leave in their wake? E.g. The Oakland Raiders left Oakland to go somewhere else, so does this mean Oakland just have a giant stadium with now 0 sports that require a stadium anywhere near that size?

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

See with American football how the teams just up and leave when they fancy, what happens to the huge mega stadiums they leave in their wake? E.g. The Oakland Raiders left Oakland to go somewhere else, so does this mean Oakland just have a giant stadium with now 0 sports that require a stadium anywhere near that size?

I think they generally move out when the old stadium is getting decrepit and the local government won't build them a shiny brand new one with tax payers money

I do find it amazing that they go mental at the thought of universal healthcare or just generally looking after schools etc but don't you even try and think about letting the San diego chargers move city etc.

It's kind of similar to an Olympic bid but cheaper

Or moving Meadowbank thistle to Livingston but more expensive

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think they generally move out when the old stadium is getting decrepit and the local government won't build them a shiny brand new one with tax payers money

I understood some local governments over there built stadiums to attract franchises and put their town in the spotlight a bit.

Most stadia are used for more than just nfl games though (of which most teams play only ten a year). Some are shared with baseball teams, some are shared with college football teams. They're all used for miscellaneous nonsense like rodeos and monster truck shows in the offseason and nearly all of them have conference facilities and hotels etc etc. So theoretically the stadium in San Diego/st Louis etc would still see some sort of use. 

Eta - 10 home games 

Edited by CountyFan

13 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

The entire reason behind moving is because the stadium is at the end of its life. If they can't get the local government to pay for a new one, then they move to a city that will.

14 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

An example of this is the stadium built for the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. Atlanta Braves took it over after the Olympics and played there until they moved to a new stadium at the start of this season. It has now been redeveloped for college football.

I find it amazing that college football is so big that they need a former Olympic stadium. The redeveloped stadium has a capacity of 30.000