Quick Question Thread

Why is a shirt two arms by that token?

I'm not sure, I suppose that's because a shirt contains two sleeves and a large torso area so it's not specific to the arms in the same way trousers are to the legs.

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

In ye olden days they were seperate and you'd tie them at the waist, they apparently still wear them in the Cumnock area.

Presuming I'm not being whooshed here but I never knew that. 

Doesn't explain why the language surrounding the trouser hasn't evolved with them though.

Just now, throbber said:

I'm not sure, I suppose that's because a shirt contains two sleeves and a large torso area so it's not specific to the arms in the same way trousers are to the legs.

What about your waist, arse & nether regions with trousers? 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I think Bennett is actually right there. He was due one tbf.

Yeh fair play to Bennett. He's still one behind a broken clock today though.....

On 21/03/2017 at 16:36, Zen Archer said:

No problem, keep us updated.

Update is that the guy is coming out tomorrow to fit a new flue kit which will take the pipe the required distance from my window.  He felt the original contractor was being a bit arsey about it, they had obviously taken their measurement from where the flue exits the wall which was too close, but he had measured from the end of the flue and from there it gives the required distance. We both agreed that if a new flue kit can be fitted to remove any doubt then it was the best way forward, he'll have it done for lunch time tomorrow for £160.

I'm also due to move back into my flat on Friday, which is fucking excellent. I've been out since the end of November and it's taken from then until now to rip out my bathroom and utility cupboard and rebuild. Staggering.  The good thing is that my moaning about the time taken to my insurance has resulted in an inconvenience payment of £10 per day from when I moved out my flat which will be winging its way to me in the next two weeks, thus taking care of these boiler mod costs.  All round it's been a good week after months of torture.

Hang on. It's taken 4 months to get a bathroom and small cupboard repaired after what I'm assuming was water ingress from above? Even allowing for drying out the area and opening it up, that's a 2/3 week job at most!

13 minutes ago, Widge said:

Hang on. It's taken 4 months to get a bathroom and small cupboard repaired after what I'm assuming was water ingress from above? Even allowing for drying out the area and opening it up, that's a 2/3 week job at most!

Yes. It was quite badly soaked and the full bathroom needed done (its a pretty small bathroom) but I moved out and was told it would be 7 weeks maximum, after 5 weeks I phoned up to see what the progress was and they hadn't even started the strip out. At that point I thought things would pick up but it's just been a slog trying to get answers from anyone has been a nightmare. It's honestly been the most frustrating period of my life.

Yes. It was quite badly soaked and the full bathroom needed done (its a pretty small bathroom) but I moved out and was told it would be 7 weeks maximum, after 5 weeks I phoned up to see what the progress was and they hadn't even started the strip out. At that point I thought things would pick up but it's just been a slog trying to get answers from anyone has been a nightmare. It's honestly been the most frustrating period of my life.

You've been had and screwed about big time. Even if it was soaked, open up the walls and floor and see the extent, you're a week or two max to air out from a domestic leak. Then another 2/3 at most repair and fit out a new bathroom. I feel for you. Far too many cowboys out there willing to take the cash and do a half arsed job late.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

You've been had and screwed about big time. Even if it was soaked, open up the walls and floor and see the extent, you're a week or two max to air out from a domestic leak. Then another 2/3 at most repair and fit out a new bathroom. I feel for you. Far too many cowboys out there willing to take the cash and do a half arsed job late.

Aye, in hindsight I should've just taken a cheque from my insurance and got my own contactors in, but I'd had such a nightmare with the actual leak itself (back and forth with neighbour and insurance for weeks before the leak was stopped) that I just could not be arsed with the hassle of arranging the works myself. So I let the insurance use their own contractors and it's been one huge unorganised mess. Lesson learned.

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

Presumably the firm was hired by the insurance company, and he's been paid compo. So not the worst result. The worst thing is that the insurance company probably takes the lowest bid however infeasible and hopes the client doesn't complain. No wonder the contractor was trying to screw Moonster, probably the only way they could make a profit. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably the firm was hired by the insurance company, and he's been paid compo. So not the worst result. The worst thing is that the insurance company probably takes the lowest bid however infeasible and hopes the client doesn't complain. No wonder the contractor was trying to screw Moonster, probably the only way they could make a profit. 

Insurance appointed two companies to look after my claim, one in Glasgow who was a loss adjustor and the other in Kent who does f**k knows what - I only ever recieved one letter from them informing me they were in charge but it left no contact details and I've not heard from them since. 

You're right though, the bathroom is well done (and when the shower screen and mirror go up it'll look cracking) and I've been reimbursed by more than the amount I've had to put in to repair everything with some left over to treat myself. A decent result from what was a complete horror show.

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a link to the Billy Brown interview where he lost the plot, the only one I can find on YouTube is a mashup with music etc.

http://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/video/2013/4/242/13th-post-match-east-fife/