Quick Question Thread

What website is the best for getting travel insurance?
Travel insurance? Isn't the modern way to just set up a pathetic gofundme appeal or sell your story to the tabloids?

26 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
33 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Partner and I recently spent some time studying travel insurance deals and found that Saga offered the best rates, albeit with higher than average excesses in the event of a claim.
https://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance/single-trip-travel-insurance

Aye if yer over 50 years old.....

Can't you just wait until then?

45 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

21 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

A week today. Fairly excited however unsure how the liver will cope

I wouldn't bother, they don't pay out if something happens when you're pished. Just take an EHIC card and hope for the best.

18 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I have one of these.

Another question while I'm at it.

Since I'm going on holiday again on July but this time we family ( 2 kids and the wife) can i get just 1 travel insurance that could cover both holidays?

I think that makes sense

It would be cheaper to get annual multi trip insurance for the 4 of you if both holidays are in Europe, I think. @Honest Saints Fan is the expert on this.

P.S. You should book the insurance for July now if you've booked up anyway, in case you need to cancel.

PPS as HSF says below

Edited by welshbairn

You can get an annual policy which would cover you and the family for all your holidays in a year but it doesn't always work out cheaper. Anyway buy your travel insurance now! You should ideally purchase it the minute you book a holiday. I usually just go onto a comparison website and look at the cover being offered & decide from there. 

Guest Moomintroll
IMO it is your own fault for living down in the devils playground with the hillbilly types.

then again i shall shortly be stationed at pirbright so suppose ill have to pack a suitcase of lorne so i dont miss home too much
Bring a suitcase down for me too.

12 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Do a quote on a comparison website. Note the top 4 or 5 quotes. Go to those 4 or 5 companies' own website and get a quote minus the commission paid to the comparison website.

11 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I have one of these.

Another question while I'm at it.

Since I'm going on holiday again on July but this time we family ( 2 kids and the wife) can i get just 1 travel insurance that could cover both holidays?

I think that makes sense

Agree with previous comments on this question - get a quote for an annual policy, it may be cheaper than 2 single trip policies. And, get it now, don't wait. You're then covered for cancellation if you do, just in case you have an accident ( like breaking an ankle by tripping over a discarded Irn Bru can)

9 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Do a quote on a comparison website. Note the top 4 or 5 quotes. Go to those 4 or 5 companies' own website and get a quote minus the commission paid to the comparison website.

Agree with previous comments on this question - get a quote for an annual policy, it may be cheaper than 2 single trip policies. And, get it now, don't wait. You're then covered for cancellation if you do, just in case you have an accident ( like breaking an ankle by tripping over a discarded Irn Bru can)

What is the best price comparison website though? I've often thought of doing my price comparison website comparison website. 

Btw, I know the price comparison websites take a cut, but I thought that it was the insurance company that paid it, not the consumer? I know that's the way Skyscanner works. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What is the best price comparison website though? I've often thought of doing my price comparison website comparison website. 

Btw, I know the price comparison websites take a cut, but I thought that it was the insurance company that paid it, not the consumer? I know that's the way Skyscanner works. 

All comparison sites go to the providers' sites/systems to get the basic quote, then they apply whatever 'deal' they have with that provider to be able to advertise their own price. So, no matter which comparison site you use, the cheapest deals will be the insurers which think you are the lowest risk, statistically.

I've very rarely found the comparison quote to be cheaper. Certainly not across all 4 or 5 of the top quoters anyway.

Question regarding employment law....

How long can a job be considered "ad hoc" before the guys doing it have to be given full time terms?

I work with some guys who are on ad hoc contracts who have been doing the job for 4 years. I seem to recall that there is a time limit on these sorts of contracts where the job can no longer be considered ad hoc. Anyone?

On 20/05/2018 at 22:05, Boghead ranter said:

All comparison sites go to the providers' sites/systems to get the basic quote, then they apply whatever 'deal' they have with that provider to be able to advertise their own price. So, no matter which comparison site you use, the cheapest deals will be the insurers which think you are the lowest risk, statistically.

I've very rarely found the comparison quote to be cheaper. Certainly not across all 4 or 5 of the top quoters anyway.

In my experience the cheapest offers for car or travel insurance are usually shysters who either add on other charges or weasel out of paying out, knowing that nobody reads all the small print. I'm sure they all use the same actuarial tables/algorithms anyway. Definitely worth looking at reviews before buying, or asking around. 

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In my experience the cheapest offers for car or travel insurance are usually shysters who either add on other charges or weasel out of paying out, knowing that nobody reads all the small print. I'm sure they all use the same actuarial tables/algorithms anyway. Definitely worth looking at reviews before buying, or asking around. 

I took the cheapest insurance price on a comparison website. Within 10 days of my bike being stolen they had looked at the damage, wrote the bike off and paid out. Happy with that.

1 minute ago, supermik said:

I took the cheapest insurance price on a comparison website. Within 10 days of my bike being stolen they had looked at the damage, wrote the bike off and paid out. Happy with that.

Aye but that was a shitty wee Chinese thing wasn't it? :P I'm not saying ignore the cheapest one, just check it out thoroughly.

How long can a job be considered "ad hoc" before the guys doing it have to be given full time terms?

I work with some guys who are on ad hoc contracts who have been doing the job for 4 years. I seem to recall that there is a time limit on these sorts of contracts where the job can no longer be considered ad hoc. Anyone?

I’m no lawyer but I’m fairly sure that after 2 years in continuous employment you should be considered a full time employee.

I’m no lawyer but I’m fairly sure that after 2 years in continuous employment you should be considered a full time employee.
I am sure I seen some regulations on this before but cant find. Unfortunately I need something concrete. A link to legislation or something.

17 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Another daft question ( feels like I havnt been abroad before however last time was 8 years ago).
Anyway regarding liquids to take onto the plane. I'm taking a small suitcase on so everything will be in that ( going in overhead bit) however ive read all liquids must be in a see through bag ?

It's not just liquids - things like soap & toothpaste need to go in it too. No individual container can be more than 100 ml and the see-through bag (now available for free at most UK airports) is severely limited in size & you must be able to close it if asked.

Keep your razor, toothbrush & comb seperate - they aren't liquids. You can put them in another see-through bag, but it can stay in your case.

Assuming that your hotel will provide soap & shampoo, the minimum I need is toothpaste, deodorant & shaving foam. You can buy 75 ml sizes of all 3, which will last more than a week, and there will still be room for another couple of items (lotions, aftershave etc) if you need them.

Edited by lichtgilphead

12 weeks with agencies
https://www.gov.uk/agency-workers-your-rights/your-rights-as-a-temporary-agency-worker

12 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Yeh went with 2 cans of deodorant, 2 cans of sunspray ( ginger p***k here so will die) and toothpaste.

Just don't wanna be the dick that holds the group up when/If I get stopped for making a c**t of it haha

Just sort the wife's essentials into a small transparent plastic bag, each less than 100 ml as said above, and get your own stuff in the local supermarket or chemist in Benidorm. Your wife could do the same but don't bother suggesting it. I just take a toothbrush so I don't have to bother with the shite. If you're wearing boots take them off at security, and your belt, if not you might get away with shoes or trainers.

Edited by welshbairn