Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Are there genuinely folk who'd avoid eating out while alone in case some strangers thought they were weird?

What do you do if you're away from home? Pot Noodle in the hotel room?

The secret is to allow yourself to be picked up by an attractive woman who buys you dinner with the unspoken but understood promise of sex only to tell her after coffee and desert that you are happily married and that you are sorry she got the wrong idea.

On a work trip to Nottingham, I once ended up eating alone in a curry house where I was the only customer the entire evening. Was a bit awkward with the staff clearly hanging around just for me and in the end the waitress ended up sitting down with me and we chatted away into the evening. Very weird.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have to do this regularly when I'm away through work and pretty much everyone else will just presume you're in town on business.

During the week in most cities there's always a few loners doing the same thing. The rule is, don't get drawn in to talking to any of the others.

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

By wouldn’t you just go and sit in the boozer and get a fish supper on the way back to the hotel?

If the company pays, I want the full shebang, whether I’m alone or not

2 hours ago, smpar said:

Eating at a restaurant by yourself. Thoughts please.

Did it often when I was working away from home. Never thought anything of it except once when everybody kept staring at me. When I got back to the hotel I realised it was fucking Valentine's Day.

Are there genuinely folk who'd avoid eating out while alone in case some strangers thought they were weird?

Well, aye. I can get pretty self-conscious of what strangers think of me. Ended up going out for pub grub. The place was hoaching and I was surrounded by groups of youngsters getting tanked up for a night out. I probably would have felt better if it was more ‘obvious’ that I was just away for the night for work/similar. I haven’t felt too ‘right’ today either so that probably hasn’t helped. It did feel like a few folk were staring at me.
By wouldn’t you just go and sit in the boozer and get a fish supper on the way back to the hotel?

Drinking wasn’t really an option, otherwise that’s exactly what I’d have done.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The shecret is to allow yourshelf to be picked up by an attractive woman who buysh you dinner with the unshpoken but undershtood promish of schechs only to tell her after coffee and deshert that you are happily married and that you are shorry she got the wrong idea.

This is how I'll be reading your posts from now on. There's no other explanation.

10 minutes ago, smpar said:

Well, aye. I can get pretty self-conscious of what strangers think of me. Ended up going out for pub grub. The place was hoaching and I was surrounded by groups of youngsters getting tanked up for a night out. I probably would have felt better if it was more ‘obvious’ that I was just away for the night for work/similar. I haven’t felt too ‘right’ today either so that probably hasn’t helped. It did feel like a few folk were staring at me.

Drinking wasn’t really an option, otherwise that’s exactly what I’d have done.

Bet they were mainly staring at their phones, like yourself. Most awkward thing I find is being in a busy pub on your own with nowhere to sit or bar space to lean against. Find myself pretending to find the crappy pictures interesting.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, smpar said:

Eating at a restaurant by yourself. Thoughts please.

Folk do it all the time.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have to do this regularly when I'm away through work and pretty much everyone else will just presume you're in town on business.

Same here.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As it’s you Dave, I dread to think what this really means...

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

If the company pays, I want the full shebang, whether I’m alone or not

^^^Doing it right. 

14 minutes ago, smpar said:

Well, aye. I can get pretty self-conscious of what strangers think of me.

f**k that shit, man. Anyone judging people in restaurants is automatically having a more tragic night than you are.

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Not even I would debase myself by eating a Pot Noodle.

8 hours ago, smpar said:

They are staring and judging you. Wondering if you are a lone wolf kidnapper or why you are so friendless, what have you done, why are you so socially inadequate? You just need to get on with it.

14 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

11 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Alan Partridge.jpg