Quick Question Thread

Guest Moomintroll
Thought that was only in England.

Ah good point, forget the laws are different up there. I got an asbo type thing once for doing 90+ on the A483 after Wrexham, to this day I have no idea why they didn't give me points, would have been well deserved as I was being an arsehole that day.

Got back from Berlin today and my boiler was fucked. British Gas came and did some work, seems to be sorted now. He took out some flexible pipe type things and they were full of black grit. Said it would be a good idea to get a filter fitted but it would cost £295.

My question is.... "is he taking shite"?

Got back from Berlin today and my boiler was fucked. British Gas came and did some work, seems to be sorted now. He took out some flexible pipe type things and they were full of black grit. Said it would be a good idea to get a filter fitted but it would cost £295.

Sounds legit. My service guy fitted a filter to mine 2 years ago to stop the system gunging up. Got brand new combi boiler last month which comes with integrated filter for same purpose.

Sounds legit. My service guy fitted a filter to mine 2 years ago to stop the system gunging up. Got brand new combi boiler last month which comes with integrated filter for same purpose.

Aye..this would sit under the current boiler and would protect any future boiler we got... I will do more research, but further input would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Romeo said:

A decent filter costs £50-90, some maintenance companies insist one is fitted before accepting you as a client.

Aye..this would sit under the current boiler and would protect any future boiler we got... I will do more research, but further input would be appreciated.

Something to do with tiny bits of corrosion from the radiators which build up and make the boiler less efficient.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

That's exactly what he said, looked pretty manky to be honest.

Yeah, they have a strong magnet inside them that catches all the loose metallic debris that floats around the system from the inside of the radiators. The actual heat exchangers inside modern boilers are very small with only small amounts of water being heated at a time so the exchangers are easily blocked up by the tiny pieces of debris. They are very effective, so much so that certain boiler manufacturers will give up to 3 extra years warranty if you fit one with a new boiler.

12 hours ago, Romeo said:

When we got our boiler fitted it came with a 2 year warranty, but if we got a magnetic filter thing fitted at an extra £90 Worcester Bosch upped the warranty to 5 years.