Quick Question Thread

12 months ago I had a clean licence and would regale all my foolish pals about how you would have to be criminally negligent or just plain stupid to get caught speeding these days. Roll on to today where I’m 8 points up and £450 down and I’m not quite so opinionated.....

That’s karma in action right there kids.

Have you had any since April? If so what were they?

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Letter in the post when I got in tonight.

Pain in the arse, will gladly accept the 3 points and fine as I was over, remember seeing the van at the side of the road and thinking I’d be ok as I was just going the same speed as everyone else. emoji1.png

Need to fill in the letter which just says I’m the registered owner etc to say I was the one driving it and send it back.

I think you're better off just taking the hit, there are practically no excuses unless you're Alex Ferguson with a £5000 an hour lawyer. And you were speeding, whatever the circumstances. I got done not long ago while driving very safely on an urban dual carriageway, over a bridge and back again, but not thinking about the speed. 6 points and £200 as I remember. It annoys me that someone driving at 90 in a 50 limit would probably get the same.

Edited by welshbairn

I think you're better off just taking the hit, there are practically no excuses unless you're Alex Ferguson with a £5000 an hour lawyer. And you were speeding, whatever the circumstances. I got done not long ago while driving very safely on an urban dual carriageway, over a bridge and back again, but not thinking about the speed. 6 points and £200 as I remember. It annoys me that someone driving at 90 in a 40 limit would probably get the same.

I’ll not be appealing it, just trying to understand costs.

What was the limit and what were you driving to get 6 and 200? Seems excessive.

Speaking to my mates about it tonight and one of them was 48 in a 30 and only got £100 and 3.

90 in a 40 would surely be disqualified? That’s what I find annoying here. There’s no clear guidelines online. Everything that’s online just comes up with UK laws, which is the law in England and Wales, which is different to up here.

I went over the bridge, bit of shopping, and back over, at around 40 in a 30 limit, keeping pace with the other traffic. There was a police car sneakily parked up with a camera so they caught me both ways. So it was double fine and points. The annoying thing was if the police car had actually stopped me the first time there was no way I wouldn't watch my speed coming back. You have to be well over the limit to get 6 points on one charge. Before I got caught I was getting a bit reckless about speeding though, so maybe take it as a timely warning.

I went over the bridge, bit of shopping, and back over, at around 40 in a 30 limit, keeping pace with the other traffic. There was a police car sneakily parked up with a camera so they caught me both ways. So it was double fine and points. The annoying thing was if the police car had actually stopped me the first time there was no way I wouldn't watch my speed coming back. You have to be well over the limit to get 6 points on one charge. Before I got caught I was getting a bit reckless about speeding though, so maybe take it as a timely warning.

[emoji23]

Ffs. That’s shite that.

Oh well. I’ll see tomorrow. Give them a wee call and just ask for some confirmation. I’m very OCD and if I’m unsure over something like this, which I see as serious cause I’m never in trouble, then I won’t be able to get it out my head until I know all the details.

Will always think worst case scenario and worry about everything. It’s a pain in the arse.

7 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

No.

Why do you have the carpet from the Overlook Hotel as your avatar?

I thought he was just trying freak Throbber out with a pic of his local Wetherspoons' carpet.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji23.png

Ffs. That’s shite that.

Oh well. I’ll see tomorrow. Give them a wee call and just ask for some confirmation. I’m very OCD and if I’m unsure over something like this, which I see as serious cause I’m never in trouble, then I won’t be able to get it out my head until I know all the details.

Will always think worst case scenario and worry about everything. It’s a pain in the arse.

The letter should have said what the penalty was? 

The letter should have said what the penalty was? 

Nope, letter is just wanting clarification that I was the driver, need to send it back saying I was, then the penalty will come through afterwards.

http://www.safetycameras.gov.scot/question-and-answers/

After checking, information all on there, 3 points and £100 fine. That’ll do. Won’t be doing this again.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nope, letter is just wanting clarification that I was the driver, need to send it back saying I was, then the penalty will come through afterwards.

Aye. think I wrote asking for pictures of who was driving, hoping I could pass the fine to my sister.  I'd just admit it, no way will you get more than 3 points anyway.

I don't think I'd have the ball to do 48mph on a 30. I'm bad enough when I hit 35mph [emoji38]

I generally stick to 80mph on the motorway and haven't received any points re. that in my 10 years of driving.*

*Speeding fine incoming in the next month.

I don't think I'd have the ball to do 48mph on a 30. I'm bad enough when I hit 35mph [emoji38]

I generally stick to 80mph on the motorway and haven't received any points re. that in my 10 years of driving.*

*Speeding fine incoming in the next month.

Think it was similar to situation I was in, he was not long off a 50mph that had merged into a 30 and he just hadn’t realised quickly enough. Pretty shite tbh.

Think it was similar to situation I was in, he was not long off a 50mph that had merged into a 30 and he just hadn’t realised quickly enough. Pretty shite tbh.

I came close to being caught speeding in similar circumstances. The area was normally a 50 but there was a sign with altered speed. I honestly thought it said 40 and that was the speed and I was doing about 43mph. I came over the bridge at that speed and there was a cop car sitting and I thought I was done as it was around 1am and they'd not get much action where they were. There was no one else on the road and sure enough they started following me. Needless to say I was bang on the limit and expecting them to stop me. I got to the next wee village area which was a 50. Got down to 50 and expected the lights. They actually turned around. I can only assume they were giving me the benefit of the doubt and decided not to bother booking me. The next day on the road home I checked the sign which I was convinced was a 40 and it was actually a 30 so I really dodged a bullet that night. They couldn't have been arsed with the paperwork or didn't have the gun ready [emoji38]

86 mph heading southbound on the M80 from Stirling in May landed me the standard fixed penalty of 3pts/£100 fine. Caught by a grey unmarked 5-series if that’s any use.

Yeah just confirmed it, that would’ve been a band B one, like I thought mine would be, but that definitely must just be England and Wales then.

Feeling a lot better about it now, cheers.

I got 3 pints and £60 for doing 89 on the A9 (dual bit) about 8 years ago. That's the fastest I've been done at. Been done four times in total but not in the last five years as I'm a good boy now.

Lucky you never got done for drink driving as well.

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Been caught speeding on the A90 going in to Edinburgh.

The road where the A90 joins Queensferry Road, it’s a 40mph zone I’ve been caught in, going 56, the 40mph zone comes in just after the 70mph zone, not a busy residential area and tbh the queue of traffic I was in will have all got tickets, everyone kept their speed up a bit to get past the final light before it went red. Those that know the road will know what I mean.

Just had a look and it looks like it’s now a band B offence and I can now get fined a weeks wages and upto 6 points on my licence. However I believe that’s worst case scenario and they take other factors into account, how busy the area is, the location, weather conditions, if I’ve got a passenger or I’m near a school etc.

Obviously none of that applies and I was basically just coming from a 70mph zone and hadn’t slowed down quickly enough.

Is it possible I’ll just get 3 points and a £100 fine, or am I gonna be paying a fair whack for this? Currently have a clean licence.

Anyone had any experience under the new laws?

Believe a band A offence can now take upto 75% of your weekly wage now, and you can get that for going 36 in a 30, don’t imagine that will actually be happening though.

ETA: after looking into it a wee bit more it’ll be £100 and 3 points, unless I dispute it/avoid it or have a history of speeding offences in the last 4 years. I’d then have to go to court and could then be hit with the new fines that came in in April. Supposedly this was exactly the same before April except the percentage of wages etc they fined in court was lower.

ETA 2: actually scrap that, these new laws only apply in England and Wales. Ffs.

Aye but did you get those Amazon vouchers or not?

I got 3 pints and £60 for doing 89 on the A9 (dual bit) about 8 years ago. That's the fastest I've been done at. Been done four times in total but not in the last five years as I'm a good boy now.

Got done about 11 years ago doing 103 up daviot hill in an austin maestro...

Should have been knighted.

6points £100 fine. Not had any thing since.