Quick Question Thread

Am I allowed to burn wood in an old, chimney fireplace in Glasgow now? The stalk is cleared, but someone said I couldn’t burn anything because of a smokeless ban in Glasgow, but can’t see anything online.

Am I allowed to burn wood in an old, chimney fireplace in Glasgow now? The stalk is cleared, but someone said I couldn’t burn anything because of a smokeless ban in Glasgow, but can’t see anything online.

Was it your next door neighbour per chance?

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

^^^Fixing the electrics in his other flat and planning a free Baltic cruise.

No next door neighbour or faulty electrics. My girlfriend has recently bought a house with a wood burning fire, which has an unblocked chimney, but her Dad reckons it is now against the law to burn a fire in Glasgow, unless it is smokeless.

I have an abundance of tree branches that I would like to fire in, so this would be gutting if true.

No next door neighbour or faulty electrics. My girlfriend has recently bought a house with a wood burning fire, which has an unblocked chimney, but her Dad reckons it is now against the law to burn a fire in Glasgow, unless it is smokeless.

I have an abundance of tree branches that I would like to fire in, so this would be gutting if true.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17629

Might help

www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1762
This suggests that the information you have been given is valid.

36 minutes ago, Adam said:

Can’t beat a good fire so go for it.

However, ‘unblocked’ is a bit vague. That could mean someone has just yanked out some rolled up  newspaper from the flue. You could start a fire and all the smoke could end up in someone else’s flat. 

16 minutes ago, Adam said:

Lovely work.  +1.  

I misplaced my rucksack in London last week. Apart from various items which make me attractive to the opposite sex (a comb, a can of deodorant and a stick of concealer for my nose), I didn't lose anything important apart from a letter which tells me my new tax code. In the wrong hands, is this a big problem? Should I be worried? I don't know much about the world.

8 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I misplaced my rucksack in London last week. Apart from various items which make me attractive to the opposite sex (a comb, a can of deodorant and a stick of concealer for my nose), I didn't lose anything important apart from a letter which tells me my new tax code. In the wrong hands, is this a big problem? Should I be worried? I don't know much about the world.

What's wrong with your nose? If the letter included your NI number along with your name and address it might be handy for identity theft schemes, but as there's nothing you can do about it I wouldn't worry.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's wrong with your nose? If the letter included your NI number along with your name and address it might be handy for identity theft schemes, but as there's nothing you can do about it I wouldn't worry.

My nose occasionally/frequently has a mild reddish tinge, so I tone it down by using female beauty products. It's not a major problem but it just irritates me. I also think I've got quite a big nose, although no amount of concealer can hide that.

Not sure if my NI number was on the letter. My name and address definitely were. Either way, thanks ☺

Edited by The Real Saints

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

My nose occasionally/frequently has a mild reddish tinge, so I tone it down by using female beauty products. It's not a major problem but it just irritates me. I also think I've got quite a big nose, although no amount of concealer can hide that.

Not sure if my NI number was on the letter. My name and address definitely were. Either way, thanks ☺

Maybe it's an STD? An old boss of mine had some nasty sexually transmitted thing wrong with his nose and it was a spotty, flaky beacon. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who'd pretend to be him with that snib?