Quick Question Thread

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:37, Raidernation said:

Why does the US coverage of EPL games ALWAYS have to show lolverpool fans singing ynwa?

They're trying to spot the guy who is singing out of key.
They have been told he is wearing a red top.

Why do folk say they are ON the bus/train? Surely you're in the bus/train. No one says "I'm on the car". The English language is mental.

Not mental at all...

On when you have to go up (stairs, steps etc) to enter and in when you go down.

On a bike, in a car.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Why do folk say they are ON the bus/train? Surely you're in the bus/train. No one says "I'm on the car". The English language is mental.

They say in the bus or train in Spain, though confusingly it sounds like on. "en el autobús"

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

What if it's an open-top bus? (I know a lot of people here won't know what that means...)

You're still in what for all purposes is a mobile container. You wouldn't throw something "on" a bucket.

38 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I know that, but the amount of punters that talk about 'roll on sausage' is incredible.

This is rattling about my head almost as badly as roasted cheese. Really getting my hackles up. Why would people say this? 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Are they not saying "Roll 'n Sausage" like Salt n Pepa, Fish n Chips or Eggy Dip Dip n Tommy Soup?

I'm sure someone put a sign/menu on here a while back that clearly said "Roll on Sausage". I know it doesn't bear thinking about.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm sure someone put a sign/menu on here a while back that clearly said "Roll on Sausage". I know it doesn't bear thinking about.

I've seen a sign outside a pub offering "Veggie Con Carne" but you can't account for some people's lexical liabilities. 

Having said that, there are some people here who thinks it's acceptable...

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9579&start=60