Quick Question Thread

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone been to White Hart Lane before? How easy/difficult is it to get tickets? Was looking at the Tottenham vs Arsenal game in April but that will more than likely be too hard an ask. Want to strike the stadium off my list before they move into their new one.

Got tickets a couple of years ago through StubHub who are their official reseller. Was reasonably easy & not too expensive but it was the last game of the season with nothing at stake. If they're still in contention the tickets will be harder to get and dearer.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone been to White Hart Lane before? How easy/difficult is it to get tickets? Was looking at the Tottenham vs Arsenal game in April but that will more than likely be too hard an ask. Want to strike the stadium off my list before they move into their new one.

I went a few years ago, but it was in a couple of season books we were borrowing.

Tottenham is an utter shithole, if that helps. 

53 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Only once, in 1983.  My older cousin is married to a Spurs fan (then living in Edmonton and now staying near The Sneck) and he got tickets to this derby and invited me when I was at Uni.

Absolutely brilliant game which did no favours for Scottish goalies' reputations....George Wood was playing for The Arsenal.  Graham Roberts (soon to be of our parish) Steve Archibald and Alan Brazil turned out for Spurs.

Edited by The_Kincardine

It's pretty difficult to get tickets now Ludo. I've tried a few times in the last couple of seasons as I'd also hoped to visit WHL before they moved but unfortunately doesn't look much like it'll be happening. It also doesn't help that they've had to reduce the capacity this season.

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Does/has anyone here work/worked nightshift and would you recommend it?

Nightshift is great for a few months for all the reasons given above but I think there's been some research done that says it has an adverse effect on your health and possibly on your lifespan.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/oct/28/night-shift-three-million-workers-health-risks-obesity-cancer-diabetes

Edited by The DA

I work in the sector. The Kyle has been open 20+years but last time I was in, the only active occupier was the girl selling sky at her kiosk. And she was delighted to see me.

Long story short: (and Ayr is a prime example), rewind 25 years and developers are pressurising the council for planning to 'create' a new 50,000 sq ft shopping centre to bring the big names in. All the middling names all relocate to be near the new incoming big name in the new centre. That leaves vacant property in its wake.

Then the even bigger 'newer' name wants to come in. In Ayr's case, that Debenhams. So they build a whole new 150,000 sq ft centre (because you can't create 30,000sq ft out of nowhere) and everybody comes with them because it's all shiny and new.

So in 20 years you've trebled the available retail space in the town centre but, actually, there are few new entrants to the market. Net result is serious oversupply of floor space but all the developers are doing is dragging the fodder about the town and the High Street (and therefore the town) is the ultimate loser.

Ayr, Kilmarnock, Irvine, Hamilton, Kirkcaldy, Dunfermline etc, etc. The list is as long as there are towns in this country.

Very complicated argument with the super centres of Silverburn, Braehead, Fort, Fort Kinnaird etc factored into it but, on the whole, my view is that there's been far too much focus short termism and, long term, there's now a structural oversupply of space.

Tl;dr? If you work in retail, you're fkd. Soz.

Outstanding post.

You should be working for the council in charge of town planning.

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I went a few years ago, but it was in a couple of season books we were borrowing.

Tottenham is an utter shithole, if that helps. 

It is indeed, although to be fair football grounds are almost always in the shittiest areas and it's certainly been the case for all the London ones I've visited. Although not been to any West End ones so imagine they'd be decent!

Maybe try 'European Football Weekends' facebook group, over 7000 members.

Although unlikely to get arsenal tickets unless you're paying a fortune

I've struck a deal with someone in America over an item that I wish to purchase from them.

What's the best way for me to make payment to them? Normally over here I just do it the way of getting an account number and a sort code and send the money straight across to them. Is that possible to do for someone over there? If so, how does it convert? I just work out what it is in $ and send the £? eg. if it was $100 I send £80 and it converts itself somehow??

Or does none of that work and I need to do it through something like paypal? I have never used that before!

The problem will be in knowing which exchange rate to use as the bank rates are different from currency exchanges. I'd go Western Union and transfer in USD even it might cost you more in fees.

This. Also many money exchanges now offer a direct to account service from overseas, this depends on how trusting the recipient is, as you need account number, sort code etc for the destination account, I use this method to transfer money to my UK account from UAE but not sure if I'd dish the same details out to someone wishing to transfer money into my account.
The latter method saves me a lot, as charges are based on the actual exchange rate & % of the sum involved- I think it was 1.2% the last large transaction I did. It takes 2 days to reach the destination account.

10 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

This. Also many money exchanges now offer a direct to account service from overseas, this depends on how trusting the recipient is, as you need account number, sort code etc for the destination account, I use this method to transfer money to my UK account from UAE but not sure if I'd dish the same details out to someone wishing to transfer money into my account.
The latter method saves me a lot, as charges are based on the actual exchange rate & % of the sum involved- I think it was 1.2% the last large transaction I did. It takes 2 days to reach the destination account.

Western Union are handy if you get into trouble abroad. Had my wallet nicked in Porto with all my cash and cards. Luckily I'd made a photocopy of my cards and passport (worth doing) so went to an internet cafe and got Western Union to send an emergency wedge. Picked it up a couple of hours later from a local branch. Cost about 10% but I think it's cheaper now.

5 hours ago, The DA said:

Nightshift is great for a few months for all the reasons given above but I think there's been some research done that says it has an adverse effect on your health and possibly on your lifespan.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/oct/28/night-shift-three-million-workers-health-risks-obesity-cancer-diabetes

Oh that's okay, I don't really fancy living past 70 anyway. Plus it's not a job for life, exactly.

Thanks for the replies anyway gang. I'm probably going to pass for now since it would ruin me for other stuff I have to do.

Western Union are handy if you get into trouble abroad. Had my wallet nicked in Porto with all my cash and cards. Luckily I'd made a photocopy of my cards and passport (worth doing) so went to an internet cafe and got Western Union to send an emergency wedge. Picked it up a couple of hours later from a local branch. Cost about 10% but I think it's cheaper now.

Yes, it's a good service. They now also do a cash passport service, where you register in advance and get given a number, any mishaps and they guarantee to have cash to you within a few hours. Not sure of the charges but I'm pretty certain it's a lot less if you register in advance (for a nominal fee).

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My betting app (McBookie) is saying that I'm in private browsing mode so isn't loadiing up properly, any idea how to fix this?

You could try going through your browser instead. I didn't know they had an app.