Quick Question Thread

I'm in Ayr today and went up the street for lunch and a skive. Noticed a place called The Kyle Shopping Centre. My (genuine btw) question is is the place recently opened, closing down or just a general shithole? If it's the latter it makes our shitey Loreburn Centre look like Manhattan.

It's been open for years but it is badly run down as you saw. Not helped by the opening of Ayr Central 5 minutes up the road. It's meant to be getting converted into a cinema as the current one is even more run down.

It's been open for years but it is badly run down as you saw. Not helped by the opening of Ayr Central 5 minutes up the road. It's meant to be getting converted into a cinema as the current one is even more run down.

I remember the Kyle centre being new and sparkly - circa early 90s.

Time passes quickly eh? What a shitter.

How's Callendar Square in Falkirk coming along these days? I noticed it was back to being almost empty again last time I was through (a while back, admittedly). Seems to regularly go through periods of semi-abandonment.

How's Callendar Square in Falkirk coming along these days? I noticed it was back to being almost empty again last time I was through (a while back, admittedly). Seems to regularly go through periods of semi-abandonment.
They have 16 stores/we stalls there now compared to the 50 to 60 in the Howgate. If the council did not have a long lease with them paying next to nothing in rent (it was part of the deal to build it) for the One Stop Shop it would of shut long ago.

6 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

They have 16 stores/we stalls there now compared to the 50 to 60 in the Howgate. If the council did not have a long lease with them paying next to nothing in rent (it was part of the deal to build it) for the One Stop Shop it would of shut long ago.

Shame. I first visited in 1996 and thought it must not be officially open yet; never seen a shopping centre with so many empty outlets.

I hear the High Street's not doing great either. Used to like a trip through to Falkirk for a rake around the shops, but closing Burger King just took the magic away for me  :P

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I love nightshift. I find it gives you a lot more time to yourself and the roads are empty. The only downside is in the Winter you can go without seeing the sun for a while.

^^^ Shiftwork prostitute.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

This should be up your street if you can overlook the seedy intro..

I watched 59 seconds of that.  It wasn't good.  I'm glad you're being compared to Michael Jackson on another thread, it serves you right.

I'm in Ayr today and went up the street for lunch and a skive. Noticed a place called The Kyle Shopping Centre. My (genuine btw) question is is the place recently opened, closing down or just a general shithole? If it's the latter it makes our shitey Loreburn Centre look like Manhattan.

I work in the sector. The Kyle has been open 20+years but last time I was in, the only active occupier was the girl selling sky at her kiosk. And she was delighted to see me.

Long story short: (and Ayr is a prime example), rewind 25 years and developers are pressurising the council for planning to 'create' a new 50,000 sq ft shopping centre to bring the big names in. All the middling names all relocate to be near the new incoming big name in the new centre. That leaves vacant property in its wake.

Then the even bigger 'newer' name wants to come in. In Ayr's case, that Debenhams. So they build a whole new 150,000 sq ft centre (because you can't create 30,000sq ft out of nowhere) and everybody comes with them because it's all shiny and new.

So in 20 years you've trebled the available retail space in the town centre but, actually, there are few new entrants to the market. Net result is serious oversupply of floor space but all the developers are doing is dragging the fodder about the town and the High Street (and therefore the town) is the ultimate loser.

Ayr, Kilmarnock, Irvine, Hamilton, Kirkcaldy, Dunfermline etc, etc. The list is as long as there are towns in this country.

Very complicated argument with the super centres of Silverburn, Braehead, Fort, Fort Kinnaird etc factored into it but, on the whole, my view is that there's been far too much focus short termism and, long term, there's now a structural oversupply of space.

Tl;dr? If you work in retail, you're fkd. Soz.

Anyone been to White Hart Lane before? How easy/difficult is it to get tickets? Was looking at the Tottenham vs Arsenal game in April but that will more than likely be too hard an ask. Want to strike the stadium off my list before they move into their new one.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone been to White Hart Lane before? How easy/difficult is it to get tickets? Was looking at the Tottenham vs Arsenal game in April but that will more than likely be too hard an ask. Want to strike the stadium off my list before they move into their new one.

Went a few weeks ago for the Boro game but in the away end so can't really help, but it was pretty full for that game so I imagine tickets for an Arsenal game might be difficult/very expensive.

Went a few weeks ago for the Boro game but in the away end so can't really help, but it was pretty full for that game so I imagine tickets for an Arsenal game might be difficult/very expensive.

Yeah Arsenal game is just a pipe dream - will be looking for a home tie around that time though.