Livingston - all the threads merged

Danny will be big miss and great signing for St Mirren.

i would like to start signing some of our players for next season , Halkett , byrne , pittman and probably Mullin. If we lose all our top players we could struggle next season. Would like to see us make an effort to keep our best players 

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Over achieve or not, we're where we are on merit, and would have a good chance of staying there, this is going to have an adverse affect though, so imo it is a gamble releasing him too. 

That's true but what happens if we end up finishing 7th and we're 100-200k down due to keeping Mullen (with no compo package as well). Especially when he wanted a move and didn't want to be here, why keep an unhappy player

Nothing has happened here, the club have cashed in on a player that we’d have lost for nothing in the summer, he wanted to move on, to get anything for him is good going at this stage imo. 

Lets be honest he wasn’t a prolific scorer, yes he was good at what he done which was be a pest, win headers and free kicks but I think a goalscorer is what we lack and hopefully this lad coming in can do that. 

Edited by andylivi1

Just now, Livilion28 said:

Danny will be big miss and great signing for St Mirren.

i would like to start signing some of our players for next season , Halkett , byrne , pittman and probably Mullin. If we lose all our top players we could struggle next season. Would like to see us make an effort to keep our best players 

Think this is a pivotal point in the season, we could get stronger if we sign Halkett and Mullin up with Pittman and Byrne. But if Halkett signs a pre contract in January and others leave it'll destroy the work Hopkin's been doing for two-three seasons now. Back to square one, hopefully the board are smart enough to tie players like that up to at least demand a fee, Halkett alone would be a huge fee for us surely

On the face of it, disappointing that one of our key players has went to a direct rival. Realistically, we'll not really be anywhere near St Mirren come May, but with a player like Mullen in our side, we at least had a chance. Pains me to say it but Carrick is nowhere near the player he is, the alternative of course is playing Mackin and Todorov up front who IMO are too similar to each other. Our pressing style worked very well at the start of this season because we had someone like Mullen to press from the front. As we seen away to St Mirren (ironically), we don't have that pace and energy up front when they're a pairing.

Beginning to wonder now if his "injury" before Glenafton was a bit of a cover for this. I've been a big fan of Danny Mullen since he first came in to the team, but even I will happily admit that he is nowhere near the level required to play at a higher level at the moment. That's not to say he can't in the future - he absolutely can, and he has knuckled down superbly the past two or three seasons to really force himself into the side as a starter. I still wouldn't say he's had a true run in the side, obviously he feels that he'll stand a better chance of progressing at St Mirren whilst starting at a level he is well aware of. I'll also happily admit that St Mirren, with their infrastructure, are arguably underachieving with regards they should be a top flight club in a few folks' eyes; meanwhile, we are definitely punching above our weight. Good luck to him, except against us obviously.

Be interesting to see who we bring in on loan from a Premiership club as has been touted - needs to be someone with a good bit of pace about them and who can actually score, or else we're rooked. If we do make the play-offs off the back of this, it will be an even more impressive achievement tbh. Would be hopeful that the transfer fee can be reinvested in keeping Halkett, Mullin and Pittman and getting some very good fees in the summer for them.

Just now, ATLIS said:

Only guess is that he refused to play before Glenafton? Demanded a move then and said he wasn't playing - but who knows? He's been a brilliant player for us and we got a good deal, no point reading too far into it

Suppose so, just a bit shocked he's away, hadn't been on last night to read it was on the cards so took me by surprise today. Feels a bit like when we punted Beany and Anndreu to save on wages, but ended up on a slippery slope fighting relegation, had we kept our squad together from the prev season we'd have been in with an excellent chance of top 4, and that was the season the money went into the Championship, so we lost on on a couple of hundred grand by saving on some wages that season.

As you say though, it's done now, we've made some dosh, hopefully we get someone in and still make the top 4, then i'll be a happy chappy.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Over achieve or not, we're where we are on merit, and would have a good chance of staying there, this is going to have an adverse affect though, so imo it is a gamble releasing him too. 

There would have been no benefit in keeping him; we couldn't have played him when he'd likely have signed a pre-contractual agreement for St Mirren in January; we would have been paying his wages but lost out on a transfer fee for no benefit whatsoever.

I must admit being a bit surprised that its St Mirren though; there seemed to be a bit of needle between him and their supporters the last few times we've played them but there you go. He's obviously looking at maybe his best chance of playing in the SPL?

Unfortunately I do suspect this wont be the only one to leave the club in the next couple of months.

I think players at Livingston will want to weigh up options , im sure there will be a lot of interest in our players 

The way I see it, why wouldn't they want to commit to a future here in the meantime? Realistically, the guys who are probably moving on are all mainstays in the team, held in very high esteem by the fans, and are attracting attention from clubs much bigger than us. Signing on for another season with a group of players who all get on well together under a manager who's respected by them doesn't sound like a far fetched shout.

Just now, Afro said:

The way I see it, why wouldn't they want to commit to a future here in the meantime? Realistically, the guys who are probably moving on are all mainstays in the team, held in very high esteem by the fans, and are attracting attention from clubs much bigger than us. Signing on for another season with a group of players who all get on well together under a manager who's respected by them doesn't sound like a far fetched shout.

When we pay £600 max it's clear we won't be keeping any stars. Would you stay at your job if you knew you could double your wages doing the same thing across the road? Even if your co-workers loved you you'd be daft not to.

Truth is, the players want to be playing in front of a decent crowd, not 1k each week. They want bigger wages, and naturally want to progress. We're a stepping stone and have been for years now, I don't see how this is a surprise to some. They've got a chance to go to a better level, this for example could be Mullen's chance to break into the Premiership and do well there.

We can't realistically afford to compete as when there's interest, we sell. Without a bigger fan base this will just be the Livi way for now.

When we pay £600 max it's clear we won't be keeping any stars. Would you stay at your job if you knew you could double your wages doing the same thing across the road? Even if your co-workers loved you you'd be daft not to.

Truth is, the players want to be playing in front of a decent crowd, not 1k each week. They want bigger wages, and naturally want to progress. We're a stepping stone and have been for years now, I don't see how this is a surprise to some. They've got a chance to go to a better level, this for example could be Mullen's chance to break into the Premiership and do well there.

We can't realistically afford to compete as when there's interest, we sell. Without a bigger fan base this will just be the Livi way for now.

I think I've worded that wrong: my point is, these players are inevitably going to move on. There's no harm to their careers staying here before the right club come in for them. Sideways moves to clubs like St Mirren for players like Halkett and Byrne ultimately won't do them much good when I would suspect English clubs will be in for them come summer.

Given Danny's previous record a move to a team like St Mirren make perfect sense.

Just now, Afro said:

I think I've worded that wrong: my point is, these players are inevitably going to move on. There's no harm to their careers staying here before the right club come in for them. Sideways moves to clubs like St Mirren for players like Halkett and Byrne ultimately won't do them much good when I would suspect English clubs will be in for them come summer.

Given Danny's previous record a move to a team like St Mirren make perfect sense.

Not sure St Mirren is a move sideways, they're looking pretty likely to go up. Gives them a chance to settle at a club and go up with a squad they know. Depends on their preference, some might prefer to stay up here

Just now, Durnford said:

here would have been no benefit in keeping him; we couldn't have played him when he'd likely have signed a pre-contractual agreement for St Mirren in January; we would have been paying his wages but lost out on a transfer fee for no benefit whatsoever.

I must admit being a bit surprised that its St Mirren though; there seemed to be a bit of needle between him and their supporters the last few times we've played them but there you go. He's obviously looking at maybe his best chance of playing in the SPL?

Unfortunately I do suspect this wont be the only one to leave the club in the next couple of months.

As I've already posted several times, the benefit would've been in what league placing we finish, and the financial gains from that, Mullen was  hugely involved to have us where we are now. As I've also said, it's done now so we just need to get on with it, was just a bit of a shock reading he's away, esp as we hadn't gotten to the Jan transfer window.

Obv we're in danger of losing more players in Jan, going to be a worrying time seeing if we can hold onto players like Mullin, Byrne, Pittman, and Halkett.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

As I've already posted several times, the benefit would've been in what league placing we finish, and the financial gains from that, Mullen was a hugely involved to have us where we are now. As I've also said, it's done now so we just need to get on with it, was just a bit of a shock reading he's away, esp as we hadn't gotten to the Jan transfer window.

Obv we're in danger of losing more players in Jan, going to be a worrying time seeing if we can hold onto players like Mullin, Byrne, Pittman, and Halkett.

We couldn't have played Mullen particularly in those games involving St Mirren, or in those likely to impact St Mirren's position compared to ours, hence how would that have improved our league position?

Leastways the funds and saving on wages gives us the chance of encouraging someone else to join us or, as someone else has mentioned, the loan striker from a higher league.

Just now, Durnford said:

We couldn't have played Mullen particularly in those games involving St Mirren, or in those likely to impact St Mirren's position compared to ours, hence how would that have improved our league position?

Leastways the funds and saving on wages gives us the chance of encouraging someone else to join us or, as someone else has mentioned, the loan striker from a higher league.

We couldn't play our own player against St Mirren because he'd be on a PC, pretty sure we could have. The PC means nothing till it is a done deal, as we found out when Clum changed his mind about signing for us after telling everyone he was coming to Livi. But in any case there are a lot of games to still be played and Mullen would've def helped in getting us a top 4 place. We're going over old ground now though.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We couldn't play our own player against St Mirren because he'd be on a PC, pretty sure we could have. The PC means nothing till it is a done deal, as we found out when Clum changed his mind about signing for us after telling everyone he was coming to Livi. But in any case there are a lot of games to still be played and Mullen would've def helped in getting us a top 4 place. We're going over old ground now though.

Legally you could play him but why on earth would you want to? He's already said he wants away; and if his good performance could impact his chances of playing in the SPL next season would his heart be in it?

Also wasn't there a problem with Callum Elliot's registration i.e. it wasn't or something?

Edited by Durnford

No point in going over old ground, imo I think the club have done fairly well out of it, yes we’ve lost a good player but we’ve made some money out of it, and let’s be honest we are a club that needs players to move on for a fee to continue being, the guys that are running the club now are running it like a business and that’s ok with me. 

Moving on, I believe the club will announce a loan signing at 5pm, a player that we’ve looked at in the past but been unable to get, he’s a young lad who’s always impressed me when I’ve seen him, Only time will tell how it turns out. 

Edited by andylivi1

2 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

No point in going over old ground, imo I think the club have done fairly well out of it, yes we’ve lost a good player but we’ve made some money out of it, and let’s be honest we are a club that needs players to move on for a fee to continue being, the guys that are running the club now are running it like a business and that’s ok with me. 

Moving on, I believe the club will announce a loan signing at 5pm, a player that we’ve looked at in the past but been unable to get, he’s a young lad who’s always impressed me when I’ve seen him, Only time will tell how it turns out. 

see my post above :)