Livingston - all the threads merged

If Livi do now go bust, could Airdrie and Cowdenbeath go back down????? If they can promote teams as easy can they relegate them too!???

No, the SFL have made it clear in the event of Livi's demise that the third division would operate with nine clubs.

I must say the decision wasn't one I expected in all honesty. As I said in an earlier post, I expected a heavy points deduction, but I didn't think they would relegate them three days before the start of the season.

It's a bugger for Airdrie, who instead of hosting Arbroath at home, now have to travel to Dingwall and face Ross County.

If anything has come of this whole sorry affair, it should be that the SFL should have proper rules in place in the event of a club going into administration instead of dealing with a club "as they see fit".

To relegate a team three days before the start of the season is completely farcical and again highlights the deficiencies a governing body in Scottish football has. This decision should have, at least, been taken after the meeting between Rankine, McDougall and McGruther and the SFL last week.

Given that Livingston only went into administration two weeks ago, the earliest that they could have dished out this sanction was last week which even then had been too late so the SFL is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I must say the decision wasn't one I expected in all honesty. As I said in an earlier post, I expected a heavy points deduction, but I didn't think they would relegate them three days before the start of the season.

It's a bugger for Airdrie, who instead of hosting Arbroath at home, now have to travel to Dingwall and face Ross County.

If anything has come of this whole sorry affair, it should be that the SFL should have proper rules in place in the event of a club going into administration instead of dealing with a club "as they see fit".

To relegate a team three days before the start of the season is completely farcical and again highlights the deficiencies a governing body in Scottish football has. This decision should have, at least, been taken after the meeting between Rankine, McDougall and McGruther and the SFL last week.

i agree with most of what your saying but to describe it as a bugger for airdrie having to go to county is a bit much.obviously everyone hates going to dingwall but on this occasion if i was an airdrie fan i'd be pissing myself with glee.they've just been relegated not once but twice yet get to stay in div 1 again.jammy feckers i say.

What an absolute joke of themselves the SFL have made.

Ok... Livingston are hardly in a great position but with only a few days to go before the start of the season the League should have just assumed we had already played a game in this season.

Hence a points deduction is the only sensible and sane sanction!!

What kind of precedent are the league setting! They could ask all member clubs to find that kind of money at 3 days notice and I bet not one club could stump up the cash.

I reckon in the future the league will not continue with this precedent when they realise in the cold light of day how much they have shafted one club and caused a total mess for all other clubs.

Why are division 1 clubs more important than division 3 clubs? One member one vote. We can't risk division 1 clubs losing out on fixtures, but division 3? Pah... we don't care about them.

What a total farce of an organisation the SFL are. Making up the rules as they go along... as per usual.

Edited by Piehutt

If Livingston appeal and lose they should be expelled from the league. On what grounds would they have a case in front of the Court of Session anyway? The SFL seems to have kept a fully open book to be thrown at them and there's no illegalities that I can see - well, apart from all those at that wretched football club.

If Livi go bust then the 3rd division would play with 9 teams and the SFL would have less costly job of re-imbursing the 9 clubs in that league.

They aren't bound by the rules to do that - but it's a hell of a lot cheaper in Div 3 than in Div 1!!

Why are division 1 clubs more important than division 3 clubs? One member one vote. We can't risk division 1 clubs losing out on fixtures, but division 3? Pah... we don't care about them.

What a total farce of an organisation the SFL are.

Must admit I thought that myself, and the only reasoning I could come up with is thatif Livi were to stay in the first and then not complete their games the first division would have no competion at the bottom end of the league. This of course could now be said for the Third Division, but then they don't have any relegation to worry about anyway, so maybe less of a blow - competition wise, although financially it doesn't help these clubs - will the SFL compensate these clubs if Livi don't play the games ??

If Livingston appeal and lose they should be expelled from the league. On what grounds would they have a case in front of the Court of Session anyway? The SFL seems to have kept a fully open book to be thrown at them and there's no illegalities that I can see - well, apart from all those at that wretched football club.

I suspect the SFL will have told McGruther (on the quiet) that any failed appeal would result in expulsion anyway. Certainly if they fail to provide good grounds for an appeal, and they try to f**k up the start of the season as nothing more than a delaying tactic, the SFL will almost certainly boot their arses into oblivion.

Yup, the SFL somehow cannot accomodate Raith playing at home on the opening Saturday but can re-arrange three(possibly only two) teams full fixture list in 3 days.

The reason for you not starting with a home game was explained time and time again.

Why?

Because it would mean you would be starting the season with a home game.

If Livi go bust then the 3rd division would play with 9 teams and the SFL would have less costly job of re-imbursing the 9 clubs in that league.

They would not move Airdrie & Cowden back down and leave the 1st with 9 teams.

No, the SFL have made it clear in the event of Livi's demise that the third division would operate with nine clubs.

Aw well wishful thinking.

Nothing to stop Livvy closing down now then setting up another club. The club could be based from Almodvale and apply for any vacant spot next year.

Bugger off Simpy, you bloody vulture! :D

No SFL spot here to be had...yet!

Have to admit I'm now of the opinion that Livi should tell them to stick it, let Div 3 struggle with a 9 man league and a month's worth of fallow weekends they can ill afford, and watch as Airdrie go bust mid-season from one more year's worth of being at the tail end of Division 1 too many.

Granted that the SFL had little choice after the Gretna precedent in the past, but to do so with the season about to begin was utter madness - and its all the clubs that will pay for it.

SFL = couldn't run a bath! :rolleyes:

If they did, they would have the best facilities out of any other team that could apply. in theory there could be a Livingston Athletic FC which would be a 100% debt free company ready for action.

or Livingston Thistle (I'm sure George would approve!)

There is an element of risk there that the league wouldn't let them in of course.

Like when they went "right lads, let's gazump the SoS and get Gretna first!"? :lol:

What an absolute joke of themselves the SFL have made.

Ok... Livingston are hardly in a great position but with only a few days to go before the start of the season the League should have just assumed we had already played a game in this season.

Hence a points deduction is the only sensible and sane sanction!!

What kind of precedent are the league setting! They could ask all member clubs to find that kind of money at 3 days notice and I bet not one club could stump up the cash.

I reckon in the future the league will not continue with this precedent when they realise in the cold light of day how much they have shafted one club and caused a total mess for all other clubs.

What a total farce of an organisation the SFL are.

The SFL just can't win. I don't suppose they were too happy for Livi to go into administration two weeks ago either. Not exactly convenient.

How can you say the SFL shafted them? They shafted themselves and if we are being honest they could maybe have came forward earlier as regards the situation.

Keeps promotion/relegation fair + it's viable for SFL to compensate 3rd Div clubs for 2 lost games.

Must admit I thought that myself, and the only reasoning I could come up with is thatif Livi were to stay in the first and then not complete their games the first division would have no competion at the bottom end of the league. This of course could now be said for the Third Division, but then they don't have any relegation to worry about anyway, so maybe less of a blow - competition wise, although financially it doesn't help these clubs - will the SFL compensate these clubs if Livi don't play the games ??

A nine team First Division effectively spells no automatic relegation in the entire SFL for season 2009/2010. Whereas a 9 team Third Division just means that Egin will be treated to a slightly higher finish than last year. They could also be compensated more easily but regardless, they are the bottom rung of the system and to do anything else would be fundamentally stupid.