Livingston - all the threads merged

If Hopkin stays, I would imagine that would be a great incentive for the majority of the out-of-contract players to sign on for another season. Provided we could build upon the core of our squad, I don’t see a reason why we couldn’t compete at least next season. I can’t see our mentality and style of play changing so we should be in with a shout at least.

Without appearing condescending to the Morton fans, Hopkin could take the Morton job at anytime, given what he’s achieved now. To pass up a go at the top flight seems a bit daft to me but each to their own. The most disappointing aspect of all this speculation is that he’s being linked with teams like Carlisle and Morton, and not jobs like Ipswich and Sunderland as Jack Ross is. A big club is missing out on a cracking manager if so.

Hahaha. St Mirren are a top league side by any measure. Livingston have tried to find a niche in West Lothian, with little enthusiasm from the locals. Remind me again, how many times have you been in administration while chasing the dream?
Then why have you spent so many seasons outside of the top league?

Twice and we survived both. Mon the Livi!

8 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Why? Livingston have done brilliantly to get back to back promotions. However, their best players are earning much less than any other team in the top league and indeed most Championships sides. They will lose their better players and will struggle to compete for signings with Falkirk, Dunfermline, ICT etc. I am sure he realises that he had taken them as far as it is possible to go.
The only way you can compete next season would be to go down the route that led to admin before. The other time you were in the top league you spent money like Rangers deceased and look what happened. Hopkin will leave on a high, his reputation intact.

You seem to be under the misapprehension having a lot of money saves you from relegation. 

Hibs had the 4th biggest budget the year they were relegated. County and Partick had the 7th and 8th in the season just past. 

Hamilton regularly stay up with a budget dwarfed by those who go down.

St Mirren and Livingston both have an equal chance of staying up, at this moment. 

You seem to be under the misapprehension having a lot of money saves you from relegation. 
Hibs had the 4th biggest budget the year they were relegated. County and Partick had the 7th and 8th in the season just past. 
Hamilton regularly stay up with a budget dwarfed by those who go down.
St Mirren and Livingston both have an equal chance of staying up, at this moment. 

You are being deliberately obtuse young man. I am not saying Livingston are stick ons for the drop. I am saying Hopkin will know that due to financial constraints, he has taken them as far as he realistically can. The only way is down in the long term. Being a Morton fan, he has more to gain going there. Starts from a low base and with new owners and cash, he can get them challenging. At Livingston, it will be a struggle to get players and stay up

Just now, CambieBud said:

You are being deliberately obtuse young man. I am not saying Livingston are stick ons for the drop. I am saying Hopkin will know that due to financial constraints, he has taken them as far as he realistically can. The only way is down in the long term. Being a Morton fan, he has more to gain going there. Starts from a low base and with new owners and cash, he can get them challenging. At Livingston, it will be a struggle to get players and stay up

Where can he get Morton that he can't get Livingston? 

Both are Hamilton level of clubs, and as Hamilton shows, both can cope in the bottom half if they get it right. 

Hamilton have years of experience at that level, mostly on the back of McCarthy and McArthur money. Livingston are already 700k in debt with a fan base of 700. They will have a bigger budget than last year, but that will be offset against higher wages. Can only see it ending in tears again

I get where you’re coming from, but we had the lowest FT budget in the Championship last season - should Hopkin have chucked it after winning League 1, as we should’ve been 8th/9th?

Hamilton have proven money =/= safety in the top division consistently, I’m not suggesting we’ll do likewise but if we keep the same core of players from last season and DH continues to apply this mentality to the squad, there’s no reason we can’t make a bloody good go of it.

Look, I don’t have any beef with your achievements. They have been spectacular in such a short time. Footballers don’t play for the love of the game though. Your pay structure is based on being a league 1/ Championship side. Players would earn substantially more at Dundee Utd, ICT, Ross County and Falkirk. Hopkin knows all this, so will probably leave on a high. Bad luck for you but I’m sure, unlike Sevco, you’ve enjoyed the journey.

God can we not have one full season and post season that is nice and easy. 

Hoppy linked with Carlisle, rejected, then back on, rejected again. 

Linked with Morton, goes quiet, all of a sudden he’s 2/5 favourite and rumours he’s going to be announced as manager as early as today, Today comes, he’s turned Morton down. 

He’s now wanted by St Mirren to replace Jack Ross. 

Give us a break ffs. 

15 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Hamilton have years of experience at that level, mostly on the back of McCarthy and McArthur money. Livingston are already 700k in debt with a fan base of 700. They will have a bigger budget than last year, but that will be offset against higher wages. Can only see it ending in tears again

Hamilton sold them two almost a decade ago, and have since been relegated and gone back up. 

God can we not have one full season and post season that is nice and easy. 
Hoppy linked with Carlisle, rejected, then back on, rejected again. 
Linked with Morton, goes quiet, all of a sudden he’s 2/5 favourite and rumours he’s going to be announced as manager as early as today, Today comes, he’s turned Morton down. 
He’s now wanted by St Mirren to replace Jack Ross. 
Give us a break ffs. 

Mind boggling, to me, that DH is linked with jobs at Morton and St Mirren and not the same calibre as Jack Ross was. Not directly comparing their managerial abilities but I would’ve thought getting a very limited squad promoted to the top flight would’ve prompted a bit of interested, especially given Hopkin’s standing in English football.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Why on earth would a Premiership manager be interested in the Morton job?

This. 

Might be wrong but I think he will still be Livingston manager this time next week.

4 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Livingston are already 700k in debt with a fan base of 700. 

Ok, this is where we can confirm you're talking shite and stop listening to you. You're twisting facts to suit your argument - 700k debt, yes. You're however neglecting the fact that this time last year the debt was 1.5m. So within a year we have halved our debt? No need for us to worry whatsoever, no doubt that come this time next year we will be relegated with the debt under 250k

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Ok, this is where we can confirm you're talking shite and stop listening to you. You're twisting facts to suit your argument - 700k debt, yes. You're however neglecting the fact that this time last year the debt was 1.5m. So within a year we have halved our debt? No need for us to worry whatsoever, no doubt that come this time next year we will be relegated with the debt under 250k

You forgot to mention that the £700k debt was effectively directors loans mostly from the previous board i.e. not operational or trading shortfall.

Edited by Durnford

I can't see hopkin leaving, especially not to come down a division. I would expect him to want the chance to prove himself in the premier league and get a good move in a year or 2.

As for the budget chat we recently saw what teams were getting as prize money and what they were spending on wages over the course of the season in the premier league giving you the option of paying reasonable wages, easily competing with St, Johnston, Motherwell, Hamilton and most likely St Mirren. In the worst case scenario the club collects the £1mil cash for finishing last, clearing your debt and having £300K in the bank on the way back down, there is absolutely no financial downside to a season in the top flight.

The St Mirren fan is either on the wind up or just talking shite, either way he's being a tit.

Hoppy is going to be linked with every job around till Mon/Tues when he sits down with the board and decides what he's doing, hopefully he'll stick with us and have a shot of keeping us up next season, I really think he'd have a decent chance of doing so. If not then he should at least go to a club in a higher league than SPFL Championship or it would be sad to see him waste all his work at Livi to take a step down a level.