Livingston - all the threads merged

3 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

To be fair, Morton is a bigger clubemoji23.png

Would be struggling to say it's a step up. If he's going it's just moving sideways. It's a move down and a weird lack of ambition if he does go though

5 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

To be fair, Morton is a bigger clubemoji23.png

Would be able to do what he did at Livi with us? As much as I'd love that to happen, I’m not too sure and that’s more down to Morton rather than Hopkin.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

Would be able to do what he did at Livi with us? As much as I'd love that to happen, I’m not too sure and that’s more down to Morton rather than Hopkin.

Hopkins was Birchill's assistant for a year before he took over himself so he got to know the team pretty well.

Then taking over a failing side for a few weeks we lest in the play-offs and got demoted.

It then wasn't until several weeks into the next season that we started to click and eventually the side started to pull away from the rest of the pack.

He's performed miracles and managed to maintain a winning ethos amongst the team but obviously it wasn't achieved over night and he really knew each member of the team well before getting them to move forward and up their game.

Would he be allowed that length of time at Morton; without Brechin and Dumbarton in the league I would suggest the Championship is going to be a lot more challenging this year with some sides prepared to splash the cash for success.

4 hours ago, madton said:

This will be their the 5th season in the top flight so prob a decent bit of money on the bank what what price money, full houses against Old firm and previous player sales!

I'm sure there was until someone fell for the old Nigerian prince scam.

Our squad wage is approximately, on average,  £350 pw. 

Anyway, re Hoppy I'm sure all will be revealed one way or another at Cappielow soon. Maybe even before the weekend.

Edited by mozam76

Real shame to not really see much development of Matthew Knox as he was supposed to be a hot prospect and with the clubs he had been on trail with, Manchester United etc. You would of thought he would of been pushed in the direction of first team football by Livingston if only to boost his value. I find it difficult to imagine how Livingston are going to sell him or even keep him because he hasn’t exactly done much for Livingston or while on loan for part of this season. I really rate him as a Player and has always done me wonders on football manager for about 3 years now maybe more. So was always surprised he was either not picked up by a bigger club or kept by Livingston and used as a first team regular . What’s your thoughts on the situation and does anyone see him possibly getting a chance next season ? 

Edited by LiviLion00

You're surely not basing how well you thought a player would do because of his merits on FM? Good grief.

I also find it bizarre how anyone can say they really rate him as a player, when he has hardly featured. I'm sure his auld man will plant a piece in the East Lothian Bugle in order to drum up some interest.

Saw glimpses of a good player in an early season cup gameor pre season one, can't remember exactly which now, but he's really not progressed any and wasn't even a starting choice at East Fife, Jack Hamilton looks a far more exciting prospect than Knox ever did. If we get another offer for him I think we should bite their hand off. Was hoping he'd show us what all the fuss has been about with the early hype but afraid i'm just not seeing it.

Looks like it'll be next week before we hear anything more on Hoppy, the board are still getting things worked out on what budget he can work with, it has taken everyone by surprise us getting promoted and nobody was prepared for it.

I’m not basising it on that at all, was just saying that with the information that games has on players etc he always becomes a good player.  Maybe if you had watched him for the youth squad you wouldn’t find it so bizarre. 

The thing is I’ve watched him quite often in the youth team and he doesn’t stand out for me at all. 

Hes just not progressed, I truly hope he proves me wrong because he seems like a good lad but it’s not happening for him and a move could be the best thing for both parties. 

Many a promising youth player fails to make the transition into the first team, but I think one of the biggest problems for Knox is the hype his family and friends have generated about him that he has possibly bought into, but also he cannot deliver upon

I hope I am wrong, but despite all the occasional flashes of promise, he is light years behind Dorrans, Snodgrass, Griffiths, Scougal, McNulty and the likes in terms of showing people what he is capable of each and every week

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Saw glimpses of a good player in an early season cup gameor pre season one, can't remember exactly which now, but he's really not progressed any and wasn't even a starting choice at East Fife, Jack Hamilton looks a far more exciting prospect than Knox ever did. If we get another offer for him I think we should bite their hand off. Was hoping he'd show us what all the fuss has been about with the early hype but afraid i'm just not seeing it.

Looks like it'll be next week before we hear anything more on Hoppy, the board are still getting things worked out on what budget he can work with, it has taken everyone by surprise us getting promoted and nobody was prepared for it.

You're probably right, if he doesn’t come back and show signs of being a first team player then we probably should sell him on. Jack does look good to be honest but maybe had more chance down to him being more ready at the time than Knox was but I still think a good season of Knox being a regular with good quality players around him to learn from then he could become what he was supposed to be. 

Promotion has definitely took the club by suprise no doubt about that. But we have been a strong side all season and really hard to beat at times when we even did end up losing games. Hibs for example in the cup and not to forget beating Patrick several times ( cup & playoffs ) based on that and how we done in the league I always thought it was possible and said multiple times it was possible. 

I think Snoddy was 16 when he was playing against Rangers in the SPL for us and Dorrans wasn't much older, if Knox was good enough he should've been playing in our first team by now, he isn't really a youth player anymore and has been around a few seasons now but hasn't broken into the first team. Last season should've been when it happened, if it was going to. He's about the same age Griffiths was when he played first team football too, prob Scougall and McNulty were about that age as well, 18 coming on 19.

For those senior games where he was involved he seemed to always involve some showboating which invariably didn't end well; either losing the ball cheaply (ans unnecessarily putting the rest of team under pressure) or simply falling on his ar5e. Unfortunately it did seem sometimes that he felt he was a whole lot better than the opposition.

That being said for a couple of games at the beginning of the season he appeared to have grown up a bit and developed a bit of a battling edge. Unfortunately for him his appearances were subsequently limited by the arrival of Penrice on loan.

His father apparently being a one man publicity campaign and keep leaking stories to the press that one EPL side or other was looking at him certainly never helped his profile and people ended up getting fed up with all the hype.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I think Snoddy was 16 when he was playing against Rangers in the SPL for us and Dorrans wasn't much older, if Knox was good enough he should've been playing in our first team by now, he isn't really a youth player anymore and has been around a few seasons now but hasn't broken into the first team. Last season should've been when it happened, if it was going to. He's about the same age Griffiths was when he played first team football too, prob Scougall and McNulty were about that age as well, 18 coming on 19.

I believe Knox will be 19 in December. Griffiths was a regular when he was 17; kept winning MOTM champagne when he was under age. 

What ever happens with Knox I just hope Livingston benefit from it either financially or with a quality first team player. Just a shame really because could be too late to actually get any good money from him. Maybe should of accepted rangers offer but only time will tell I guess. Buzzing for next season, just to even see how the club grows and hopefully they become a SPL regular. Don’t want to call it too soon but anyone else feeling a Europa league spot ? (Joke obviously) but you never know and even the possibility of Livingston being able to go achieve that is massive. The fact they can potentially go challange for theses kind of things is crazy and hope they can do that. 

Won't get any money for him now it's far too late. Unless he picks up seriously well he'll fall away to a shit Championship club like Falkirk or Morton