Livingston - all the threads merged

16 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Hopkin is now odds on favourite to become Morton manager. Seriously hope this doesn't happen.

All that really means is more money has been put on him. I know he's a Morton man and everything but I'm sure if he's leaving us it'll be to a bigger club and make the most of his stock being high while it still is.

1 hour ago, hoobahabba said:

Hopkin is now odds on favourite to become Morton manager. Seriously hope this doesn't happen.

It would be a bit made if he turned down Carlisle to go to Morton! Although the odds at 2/5!! Some people are confident it will be him....

Hope we arrange a friendly with Blackburn United. It'll be great to see two senior West Lothian sides go up against each other. A reward for moving senior playing a Premiership side.

All that really means is more money has been put on him. I know he's a Morton man and everything but I'm sure if he's leaving us it'll be to a bigger club and make the most of his stock being high while it still is.

As we all know a Manager's stock can fall away very quickly indeed and Hopkin's next move is potentially quite a significant one. While I can understand him turning down Carlisle United, in a Scottish context, they are a pretty decent sized club - average home crowds of 4500+ and capable of much more if challenging for promotion. Only the old firm, Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs are any bigger than Carlisle.

I can understand him waiting for a more attractive English opportunity to come along but to leave a promoted Livvy for Morton doesn't really stack up - supporter or not. I think that would represent a strange decision unless of course he has been promised a decent player budget at Cappielow and feels that he could deliver a second consecutive "against the odds" promotion.

As we all know a Manager's stock can fall away very quickly indeed and Hopkin's next move is potentially quite a significant one. While I can understand him turning down Carlisle United, in a Scottish context, they are a pretty decent sized club - average home crowds of 4500+ and capable of much more if challenging for promotion. Only the old firm, Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs are any bigger than Carlisle.

I can understand him waiting for a more attractive English opportunity to come along but to leave a promoted Livvy for Morton doesn't really stack up - supporter or not. I think that would represent a strange decision unless of course he has been promised a decent player budget at Cappielow and feels that he could deliver a second consecutive "against the odds" promotion.

Aren’t Carlisle a bit of a basket case at the moment? From what I’m reading there’s been a bit of a player exodus and many seem certain they’ll struggle next season.

If Hopkin stays at Livi, it’s really a no-lose situation for him IMO. We will have comfortably the lowest budget, and by rights we shouldn’t be finishing anywhere above 12th. If we stay up, his stock is sky high; if we go down, it’s hardly a disaster given it’s expected.

I would be hopeful he’d want a crack at it with us but if a side with the calibre of Sunderland or Ipswich came calling, it’s difficult to see him turning that down.

Hearing there is something in these rumours linking Hoppy with Morton. 

I really don’t get it if he decides to go, Morton will be one of the teams next season that I can see being a bit meh, too good to go down, not good enough to challenge the top 5 teams. 

Lets hope he sees some sense and sticks with us next season, will just have to wait and see. 

I daresay that with the Easdales being involved at Morton, there will be decent dough (or the promise of it anyway) for a manager to spend next season.

The move to odds on, as has been said before, really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

It would indeed be strange if Hoppy was to turn his back on Premiership football for another season (at least) in the Championship. The more I think about it, the more unlikely it seems to me.

Could take a few of our players with him if he leaves.  Could do with knowing this week one way or the other though so the club can start building for next season. If we need a new manager it would be better knowing sooner rather than later. At least with us now being a Premiership team we'd have a lot more applicants up for the job. Hope Hoppy sticks with us though.

4 hours ago, hoobahabba said:

He's been odds on for three weeks almost, it's nothing new. No announcement now until Friday at earliest, I don't think we actually have that much to worry about to be honest but if he does go I would like to see us go for another young and hungry manager, someone like Cathro might be a shout if we could get him. Surely would've learned for his time at Hearts and would be last chance saloon in management for him.

Even Lovell came across as very knowledgeable in the playoff games as a pundit - if he's done his badges I wouldn't be averse to seeing someone like him take over given his background.

Would also not be against giving it to Alexander if he has done his badges, another great pro with a great career who seems to know the game well.

No point in getting caught up in speculation now though - I'm fairly certain Hopkin is the man to take us forward and will do so for at least another season

2 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Cathro :lol:

Was bound to fail at Hearts from the start, he was fairly naïve at the time but wouldn't be against giving him a shot - albeit it is a very weirdly outlandish thought. Knowing us we'll end up taking on Duffy :D 

Edited by ATLIS

As Hopkin has asked the board to come up with his budget for next season, what are peoples thoughts on what he may get allocated?

Based on an increased gate, increased prize money, sponsorship etc I would be surprised if we could not offer at least what Hamilton players are on, if not more.

I wouldn't touch Cathro with a barge pole. I'd rather have Jim Duffy than him, genuinely.

Re. budget - I've no idea what Hamilton are giving their players, but I'd like to think something comparable would be achievable. 

33 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I wouldn't touch Cathro with a barge pole. I'd rather have Jim Duffy than him, genuinely.

Re. budget - I've no idea what Hamilton are giving their players, but I'd like to think something comparable would be achievable. 

Their average wage this season was apparently £798/ week, going by this article, 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-weekly-wages-revealed-11596087

So prob a good few players on around a grand week as well as a few younger boys on 5/600...

This will be their the 5th season in the top flight so prob a decent bit of money on the bank what what price money, full houses against Old firm and previous player sales!

What would you say your average wage is at the moment? About £400?

Our board will err on the side of caution when working out our budget, they wont be looking at our home end crowds increasing that much with how low they were last season when we were doing so well, it wasn't until the play offs they crowds took off and rocketed, and I doubt John Ward is going to get carried away thinking that will happen into next season. He alluded to as much in that interview Afro put up, saying what happens if we lose all the time in the Premiership, how many will keep going to see us losing games every week. Hamilton know exactly what their budget will be, there isn't the same unknown factor with them.

If Hoppy stays I think we'll do ok though and the attendance will be a lot higher than our board expects, but they'll be cautiously setting it at a level they can afford soi can't see that being as high as Accies.. Not unless the ST sales increase a lot anyway, and everyone buys them quite quickly, but at this stage when they're working out a figure that wont have happened yet.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Their average wage this season was apparently £798/ week, going by this article, 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-weekly-wages-revealed-11596087

So prob a good few players on around a grand week as well as a few younger boys on 5/600...

This will be their the 5th season in the top flight so prob a decent bit of money on the bank what what price money, full houses against Old firm and previous player sales!

What would you say your average wage is at the moment? About £400?

There was apparently a wage cap of about £250 - £300 pw although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some on-loan players were on significantly above that.  The two sevco players were apparently being funded by their parent company but I'm unsure if we were expected to make a contribution (probably). Remember this was based on the assumption that we would probably end up in seventh or eighth position with the prize money being significantly less than that of 2nd. Also not taken into account is the variable such as win bonus etc.

Next season I would understand if players were looking to double or even treble their income; after all a footballer's career is short.

To be fair, Morton is a bigger club[emoji23]