Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, ATLIS said:

We're losing players to teams with x2/x3/x4 our fans. They have over double the income we do. 

It's probably the setting in of the new playoff system, bigger teams are coming down and as such there's more money in the league with those teams. We can't compete financially with Falkirk's and Dunfermline's income let alone St Mirren and Dundee Utd. You're making it out as if we giving away players for free to Dumbarton and Queen of the South but in reality we're selling on players and getting cash while we can to bigger clubs.

It's not just the 5 figure fees we're getting, we're taking on sell on fees too which could potentially mean a bit more down the line and help us grow a bit more. 

Falkirk/Dunfermline/St Mirren/Dundee Utd/Inverness aren't our rivals, teams like Dumbarton and Brechin are. They operate on a similar financial basis as us, and by rights that's who we should be battling against. I don't know if that'll take time for it to sink in with you but we have no right to be challenging at the top of the table so enjoy it while we can.

Yeah I know but as I said, we're not used to seeing it happen, even last season we were the big fish in a part time league and strengthened in January with the likes of Gallagher, Keaghan and and Rafa, as opposed to this season where we're in danger of losing our best players and being weaker.

I'm not doing that at all, doesn't matter who we're losing them too, it is making us weaker and we're in a very good place competing with those teams, and if we keep the players we'd have a great chance to finish in the play offs and make a lot more money in doing so. The cash we're making from selling players near the end of their contract is peanuts in comparison to a top 4 place. And we've budgeted for keeping those players all season so selling them now is a bit desperate imo, but maybe we are desperate?

The sell ons are good in theory but historically we've never made much from them yet, the best chance of cashing in big time was Dorrans but Massone sold his sell on contract before he left, I think we made something from Scougall playing a certain amount of games so that was good, but my main concern this season is selling too many of our key players and crashing down into the danger zone. Look what happened to Dundee Utd a couple of seasons ago to see what could happen to us.

Those teams you've mentioned may not be our rivals in a financial sense but they are in league positions, and currently we're in a great position to finish above half of them, and it just seems a shame if we throw that away this season. I wasn't actually referring to myself in it taking time to sink in ya cheeky fecker:lol: I was talking about your earlier post mentioning folk on FB going on about McAllister, Buchanan etc, i'm well awate on how ridiculous that is with our finances. But as I mentioned in my post, we've budgeted for this squad so imo we should hold onto the players and finish as high as possible instead of making 10K or less here and there and losing out on a great chance for financial rewards of a top 4 finish.

Ive often said I’d quite happily have 1 less player and employ a full time marketing person, nothing would happen straight away but we should be looking at a club like Motherwell who are being marketed the right way and are seeing the benefits with crowd increases. 

Think you’re a bit like me Andy, I’ve been saying as much since Charles Burnett was (attempting to be) the commercial manager. Motherwell aren’t perfect, and they’re certainly having a torrid time of it on the park at the moment, but there’s no doubt their image off it has improved greatly. They genuinely seem to have a grasp of things within their community, after a few years out in the wild. I’m not saying hiring some marketing lackey is the magical answer to all our problems, but there’s no doubt in my mind that having someone with advertising and marketing acumen in the club is as important as a 4G pitch, new stadium, etc. If we don’t, we will be left behind. I’ve got absolute faith in John Ward’s intentions for the club but one man can’t do it himself.

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

Every club below the old firm do only the bigger the club the more money they make. Our old board drove me nuts for letting good player leave for next to nothing the new board are better. Kenny MacLean 10% sell on. John McGinn 35% sell on , Stevie Malian 25% , Lewis Morgan add on's no idea what that is as of yet.  That's the way forward for clubs like Livie and Saints. 

Yeah and making sure our best players are on lengthy contracts too so what we're seeing just now doesn't happen. It was pretty obv which players we had/have are going to go on to bigger things, we should've had that sorted last season when it was obv we were winning the league.

Great read guys; it's very refreshing to visit a clubs thread without the constant trolling. Every club in Scotland are selling clubs unfortunately. As mentioned previously, letting players go for the right price makes the club far more attractive for future signings. Ideally you want to attract players who have the potential to be at a lot higher level in the game than where you are and you just need to enjoy the talent on show at the time. Don't feel Carrick comes under this bracket, he won't be missed and is replaceable. 

Good luck to Buchanan - great move for him to stay full time and play 1st team football.

Just now, Afro said:

Think you’re a bit like me Andy, I’ve been saying as much since Charles Burnett was (attempting to be) the commercial manager. Motherwell aren’t perfect, and they’re certainly having a torrid time of it on the park at the moment, but there’s no doubt their image off it has improved greatly. They genuinely seem to have a grasp of things within their community, after a few years out in the wild. I’m not saying hiring some marketing lackey is the magical answer to all our problems, but there’s no doubt in my mind that having someone with advertising and marketing acumen in the club is as important as a 4G pitch, new stadium, etc. If we don’t, we will be left behind. I’ve got absolute faith in John Ward’s intentions for the club but one man can’t do it himself.

My mate's son offered his services in marketing/promotion for next to nothing but Livi wanted him to travel back from Glasgow to Livingston every day so he couldn't do it, he's living at a flat in Glasgow and attending Glasgow Uni as well as a marketing job in Glasgow instead. We really need to get someone in marketing at Livi if we want to increase our gates and make the most of ourselves playing in the Championship.

Just now, wee_bairn said:

Great read guys; it's very refreshing to visit a clubs thread without the constant trolling. Every club in Scotland are selling clubs unfortunately. As mentioned previously, letting players go for the right price makes the club far more attractive for future signings. Ideally you want to attract players who have the potential to be at a lot higher level in the game than where you are and you just need to enjoy the talent on show at the time. Don't feel Carrick comes under this bracket, he won't be missed and is replaceable. 

Good luck to Buchanan - great move for him to stay full time and play 1st team football.

You've said it now. :lol: We've had our fair share of trolling on this thread, esp going through 2 admins.

Heard a rumour about Bobby Barr coming back, he tweeted a few days ago something along the lines of "Livi Days" with a pic of him in a Livi top. Probably where the rumour came from tbh.

Derek Lyle could be an option for a 6 month deal if he's actually being freed, not one for the future but is guaranteed a good couple of goals and can definitely finish which has been one of our biggest issues

Edited by ATLIS

46 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Heard a rumour about Bobby Barr coming back, he tweeted a few days ago something along the lines of "Livi Days" with a pic of him in a Livi top. Probably where the rumour came from tbh.

Derek Lyle could be an option for a 6 month deal if he's actually being freed, not one for the future but is guaranteed a good couple of goals and can definitely finish which has been one of our biggest issues

Funny you say that, I also saw that tweet and thought the same thing, if we do indeed lose Josh Mullin, Bobby Barr would be a decent replacement for sure. Not sure how much is in that though. 

Josh Mullin is twice the player Bobby Barr ever was. Blew too hot and cold, was nigh-on unplayable on his day mind you, and had a real penchant for tweeting shite about that club from Govan (each to their own).

Telling John Hughes to get fucked was probably one of his highlights.

16 minutes ago, Afro said:

Josh Mullin is twice the player Bobby Barr ever was. Blew too hot and cold, was nigh-on unplayable on his day mind you, and had a real penchant for tweeting shite about that club from Govan (each to their own).

Telling John Hughes to get fucked was probably one of his highlights.

I agree Josh Mullin is a better player, that’s why he’s had interest from premiership clubs and Barr is playing in League 1, but going back to realism, Bobby Barr is exactly the type of player we have to go for, a player in the league below that has potential to do us a decent turn for a season or two and won’t be on a lot of money. 

11 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

I agree Josh Mullin is a better player, that’s why he’s had interest from premiership clubs and Barr is playing in League 1, but going back to realism, Bobby Barr is exactly the type of player we have to go for, a player in the league below that has potential to do us a decent turn for a season or two and won’t be on a lot of money. 

Unfortunately Barr has had a number of shots at the championship and failed to really impress on any of them in my opinion. With all due respect to Bobby; League 1 is his level now. If we were stuck in the position of going for an explayer I'd rather go for someone like Danny Denholm; least-ways you know what you're going to get.

On Carrick I think it had become increasingly obvious over the last twelve months that he wasn't really an out-and-out striker.  Cant really complain about his work rate or the fact that he played half a game with a hand broken in several places rather than be substituted but it is pretty obvioiud that he is an attacking midfield at best.

Bobby Barr split opinions, I always liked him and thought he improved with us, his crossing ins't anywhere near the standard of Mullin's but he can take players on and get past them better and when he cut inside he always became a goal threat. Ripped Falkirk and Raith to bit quite a few times for us and linked up well with Keaghan when we hit teams on the counter. Would hate to lose Josh but Bobby would be a decent replacement to soften the blow. Would give us a pacey winger anyway, and  a good option from te bench when players are tired.

I think a big indication is we played Keaghan out of position on the right today and he struggled but we stuck with him while Mullin remained on the bench for 90 minutes. 

I was just about to ask why Mullin hasn't had a game for us recently. Is he struggling with injury? Fallen out with Hoppy? I saw on Twitter he was in Budapest on Monday (might have been an old tweet mind you). Has he maybe signed a pre contract with another club and waiting for it to be resolved so he doesn't get injured?
Very strange state of affairs tbh.

4 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

I was just about to ask why Mullin hasn't had a game for us recently. Is he struggling with injury? Fallen out with Hoppy? I saw on Twitter he was in Budapest on Monday (might have been an old tweet mind you). Has he maybe signed a pre contract with another club and waiting for it to be resolved so he doesn't get injured?

He isn't signing a contract so the club want to sell him, it's just so that he doesn't get injured during the window. Just money probably + wants to go to a higher level

5 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

He’s in the situation that Danny Mullen was, he’s indicated he isn’t going to sign a new contract so we have made him available to other teams, obviously we don’t want him to get injured so we can get something for him this month. 

Wouldnt surprise me if he’s the other midfielder St Mirren are signing. 

Only time will tell though.