The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

The rest of the show shouldn't be getting overlooked btw. Bucks/Roppongi, Kota/Cody, Goto/Suzuki, Jr. 4 Way and Naito/Okada were all fucking great as well. I'd actually say the main event JUST edged Jericho/Omega but both were just fucking exhausting to watch.

Edited by Randy Giles

Watched Y2J vs Omega there, a rare slow burning treat. What a b*****d Jericho can be, the greatest. Might try and catch a few of the other matches over the weekend. NJPW gets exhausting real quick so have to select my matches carefully. For the most part the ones Randy listed are the ones I'll be trying to see.

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

WRestle kingdom doesn’t really do piss break matches, does it?

I'd say the gauntlet match was kind of that. Even seemed to be deliberate. Some good talent in there doing not much of anything. The way they just rattle through the big matches at the top end of the card is remarkable though.

9 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

For the most part the ones Randy listed are the ones I'll be trying to see.

Definitely the best matches, although Goto  v Suzuki is only for fans of that NJPW "mega strong style" style of wrestling.

One thing that struck me was that it was easy to follow along  with the basic story despite not really knowing what was going on, if that makes sense.  Like, say the Hair Match, Suzuki vs Goto  Although the promo is in Japanese (and well below what WWE produce, not that it matters) when they come out for the match, there's a clear heel, a clear face, a clear story, and a conclusion at the end of it.  I'd watched a few of the people involved wrestle in other companies, but still don't really  know them, and the way the matches were put together made that a bit easier.  Contrast that with WWE sometimes, and even when you're a regular watcher, it's sometimes hard to pick out the story in matches.  

There was some amount of utter shit in WWE in 2017. What were your particular lowlights?

In no specific order;

- Sister Abigail

- Pumpkin Finn Balor

- Wyatt vs Orton at Mania

- Undertaker vs Reigns at Mania

- Jason Jordan throwing vegetables at Elias and practically begging folk to like him

- Jason Jordan being Kurt Angle's son

- Jason Jordan

- Jinder Mahal winning the title

- Jinder Mahal retaining the title

- Jinder Mahal's racist jokes towards Nakamura

- Jinder Mahal

- Punjabi Prison

- Cena's marriage proposal at Mania

- Cena winning his 16th World Title

- Lesnar vs Strowman

- Goldberg vs Kevin Owens

- Shane McMahon wrestling

- Shane McMahon being presented as the equal of absolutely anyone on the roster, let alone top guys

- Shane McMahon

- Stephanie McMahon

- Kane

- The sad sight of Kurt Angle limping through a couple of matches

- Ellsworth winning the women's MITB

- Jobbing out Rusev

- Alexa Bliss' 'This Is Your Life' sketch towards Bayley

- Bayley not wanting to use a kendo stick

- Enzo in a Shark Cage

- The Street Profits

- The Cruiserweight Division

- Roman Reigns being number 30 at the Rumble

- Emmalina

- A flag match. In 2017.

- Having a PPV called Great Balls of Fire. Great Balls of Fire.

They were fine in NXT. Giving them the face paint is half the problem. Also Great Balls of Fire is funny and the PPV was decent.

Worst thing not already mentioned that I can think of is the First Ever History Making Women’s MITB match being won by a man.

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Vince McMahon tweeting a video calling Martin Luther King his hero is the definition of fake news emoji23.png.

To be fair Vince has said this quite a few times before and always marks MLK Day each year on the closest Raw to it.

However you'd think someone who claims Martin Luther King is his hero would have a better track record of not appearing to be a bit of a foaming racist at times (and also not think that two black guys should tag up just because they're black).