The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I don't think Steen was an influence. Vinny Mac loves that worked shoot stuff, so long as it isn't done too often. CM Punk isn't the first and won't be the last.

Oh no, I didn't mean the actual concept for the promo itself, the Undertaker one I mentioned before is just one of the examples, was more the content I was referring to, mentioning ROH and Colt Cabana seeing as how the Steen promo is a fairly large talking point on the 'net at the minute.

Finally got a chance to see Punks promo there (can't get videos on the server in the office), one of the best I've seen in a long long time. CM Punk is the best thing in mainstream wrestling a present by a mile.

Edited to add, that's the 'Taker interview there, wasn't American Badass as I thought, was just before the Taker Vince feud and the Ministry,etc, not exactly the same as it obviously mentions Kane, Paul Bearer, etc, but similar theme until Vince gets involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVHJ8srJ0Q&feature=related

Edited by J_Stewart

I may be missing something, but if that was a straight shoot Vince McMahon would have cut that mic the second Punk wandered from his scripted promo, sounds like a worked shoot to me. It says to me that they have signed a new deal and Punk is going to be pushed as the top heel in the company.

Now after watching, it was one incredible promo. I'd go as far as to say the best I've seen in the last 10 years, well, for WWE at least. I think Vince has given him a list of topics and tld him to go and deliver the promo howevr he likes. I had goosebumps watching it.

The beginning sounded very "scripted" before he burst into the "shoot". Great stuff.

I hope I am right in guessing he will stay. If they throw the spotlight on him as the top heel going and give him a degree of freedom and inout in his work then this could be the most successful thing in years.

I'm praying he stays and if so I'm praying WWE don't f**k up by immediately jobbing him out to Cena. Let him beat Cena cleanly, hold the title for a long, long time, creating a great feud beore eventually allowing Cena to take the title back!!!!! Please!!!!

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

I may be missing something, but if that was a straight shoot Vince McMahon would have cut that mic the second Punk wandered from his scripted promo, sounds like a worked shoot to me.

They're tied to a schedule though, Punk had about 6-8 minutes of time though. If they cut him off after a minute then they have over 5 minutes of air time that they need to fill. Punk going off is only gonna make people talk about him, the WWE and Raw.

I also think that the cut to ad break felt like it wasn't scripted, none of the commentary team closed the show like they usually do.

Also Michael Cole apparently announced Punk's suspension after the show, off air?

Again, I do think these things could and probably are kayfabe but I do think there's a chance that Punk could've just snapped and figured he can do whatever the f**k he wants to since he's leaving. Lord knows anything he does negatively to the WWE is only gonna improve his status anywhere else he goes.

They're tied to a schedule though, Punk had about 6-8 minutes of time though. If they cut him off after a minute then they have over 5 minutes of air time that they need to fill. Punk going off is only gonna make people talk about him, the WWE and Raw.

I also think that the cut to ad break felt like it wasn't scripted, none of the commentary team closed the show like they usually do.

Also Michael Cole apparently announced Punk's suspension after the show, off air?

Again, I do think these things could and probably are kayfabe but I do think there's a chance that Punk could've just snapped and figured he can do whatever the f**k he wants to since he's leaving. Lord knows anything he does negatively to the WWE is only gonna improve his status anywhere else he goes.

How the f**k would Michael Cole know the second RAW went off air?:blink: Surely there has to be some kind of meeting before a suspension is handed out, not just said by a commentator 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, Punk doesn't strike me as a stupid guy. I can't imagine him burning his bridges with WWE in that manner.

Another thing, why the SCSA t-shirt?

EDIT: Also, didn't Punk mention on Twitter earlier in the day about not caring if they fire him now etc. etc.?

Great, next week's Raw gives away what will happen at MITB. Vince tells Cena it's Cena and Punk at MITB for the title, but then adds that if Cena loses, Cena is fired. What bullshit. Why did they have to throw that shite in there?! There may have been a slight chance of Punk winning, and people may have at least thought so, even if it was due to interference/screw job/etc, but now it's beyond doubt that Cena will win.

How the f**k would Michael Cole know the second RAW went off air?:blink: Surely there has to be some kind of meeting before a suspension is handed out, not just said by a commentator 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, Punk doesn't strike me as a stupid guy. I can't imagine him burning his bridges with WWE in that manner.

Another thing, why the SCSA t-shirt?

EDIT: Also, didn't Punk mention on Twitter earlier in the day about not caring if they fire him now etc. etc.?

That's what someone else said, I'm just saying it again. I don't know the details.

Maybe he feels that he could never get the push he deserves/wants in the company since he's not a face so he may as well make himself a lot bigger to the other companies(TNA, ROH, New Japan Pro Wrestling) by doing a promo like that.

I initially thought(before he started the promo) that it was a shot at Austin's alcohol connections given his lack of them. But now I'm thinking it was because Austin was a rebel and his promo was certainly similar, kayfabe or not.

He did. I think he said he was in full "i can do whatever I want" mode, (paraphrasing)

That's what someone else said, I'm just saying it again. I don't know the details.

Maybe he feels that he could never get the push he deserves/wants in the company since he's not a face so he may as well make himself a lot bigger to the other companies(TNA, ROH, New Japan Pro Wrestling) by doing a promo like that.

I initially thought(before he started the promo) that it was a shot at Austin's alcohol connections given his lack of them. But now I'm thinking it was because Austin was a rebel and his promo was certainly similar, kayfabe or not.

He did. I think he said he was in full "i can do whatever I want" mode, (paraphrasing)

Well I'm still saying it's a work. No way would Michael Cole be able to announce a suspenion so soon after. I reckon it is a carefully planned and supremely and expert delivered promo. Punk IS that good. To have even sparked the debate as to whether it was real or not is an incredible piece of work.

Well I'm still saying it's a work. No way would Michael Cole be able to announce a suspenion so soon after. I reckon it is a carefully planned and supremely and expert delivered promo. Punk IS that good. To have even sparked the debate as to whether it was real or not is an incredible piece of work.

To be fair, a debate was sparked when Vince McMahon had his 'accident' as to whether it was real or not and if he was actually dead! :lol:

UPDATE: As of Tuesday, June 28, WWE and CM Punk have reached an agreement that Punk will fulfill his non-televised live event obligations for the remainder of his contract, through July 17. Furthermore, both sides have mutually agreed not to disparage one another.

UPDATE: As of Tuesday, June 28, WWE and CM Punk have reached an agreement that Punk will fulfill his non-televised live event obligations for the remainder of his contract, through July 17. Furthermore, both sides have mutually agreed not to disparage one another.

Pretty much confirms it's a work then. IMO.

Sources report that CM Punk's entire promo at the end of RAW this week was improvised by Punk and not scripted. Nobody in the back knew what Punk was going to say until he said it live on RAW.

WWE officials told Punk to go out and say in his own words why he was leaving the company, why he wanted the WWE Title and why he wanted to leave with it in his possession. There was a discussion that when officials felt Punk was going too far, they would pull the plug on the segment and cut his mic.

It's said that Punk was upset months ago when Triple H came back to feud with The Undertaker and while some of his comments on RAW towards Vince McMahon were well thought out to appear not as a shoot to the average viewer, most believe that Punk's comments towards Triple H and John Laurinaitis were strictly a shoot.

Word also is that Punk had some notes for his speech jotted down on his wrist tape.

As far as his contract status, Punk's deal apparently expires the second week of July but he signed an extension to work through Money in the Bank. Still with last night's new storyline development, sources maintain that Punk is leaving at Money in the Bank.

Maybe this is just the worker in me talking, but how on earth can anyone think this was a shoot? Vince WOULD have cut of him 30 seconds in if he wanted or was deviating too far from the direction he was told to go.

Punk is given some lee-way with his promos due to his ability on the stick to put things across in the way his character would, without the help of writers, however he is told what route to go, and we all know that as Todd said, Vince loves the worked shoot. That said, that will go down as the promo of the year. Punk showed something that too many workers don't do. You don't need to shout down the mic, especially if you're lecturing the crowd. Tone matters, yet he managed to keep their attention by throwing in mentions of ROH and NJPW.

You'll also know that he said hello to his buddy Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana. If you want to say Hi to Colt in person, get yourself to the Northern Hotel, Aberdeen on August 20th. *Shameless plug over*

Maybe this is just the worker in me talking, but how on earth can anyone think this was a shoot? Vince WOULD have cut of him 30 seconds in if he wanted or was deviating too far from the direction he was told to go.

Punk is given some lee-way with his promos due to his ability on the stick to put things across in the way his character would, without the help of writers, however he is told what route to go, and we all know that as Todd said, Vince loves the worked shoot. That said, that will go down as the promo of the year. Punk showed something that too many workers don't do. You don't need to shout down the mic, especially if you're lecturing the crowd. Tone matters, yet he managed to keep their attention by throwing in mentions of ROH and NJPW.

You'll also know that he said hello to his buddy Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana. If you want to say Hi to Colt in person, get yourself to the Northern Hotel, Aberdeen on August 20th. *Shameless plug over*

It was definitely a work, there's no doubting that, but apparently (what I read this morning anyway) he was essentially told to go out and talk about the reasons he was leaving and was given free reign to discuss what he wanted and if and when the producers or Vince felt he was going too far they'd cut him off, which would probably explain why it was cut off just before a story about Vince and the WWE's current stance on bullying was made to look terrible.

MVP said on twitter that he thought this could be Punks "Austin 3:16" moment...I very much hope he's right and WWE don't f**k this up, haven't been as excited about something in wrestling since the Nexus debut and Punks promo was much better than that.

Quite fancy the Northern Hotel on the 20th, any idea how many it'll hold Dee?