The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

30 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Imagine being the sort of sad sack that actually looks for leaked images.

I mean if you have Twitter it's pretty hard to avoid them. If you're actively searching them out though then that's a bit weird.  

Recently watched the top 50 OMG ECW moments.

In the top 10 (I forget which place) was the Sandman crucifixion. I still can't understand the whole massive overreaction to it. What a bunch of absolute fucking pussies. Guys getting pretty mutilated in the ring; fine. But bring in a wee bit of religious imagery; boo-hoo! 

What a load of previous wee wankers who were offended.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jim Ross' wife has died in a crash of some sort. He's been posting updates on Twitter. Heartbreaking stuff.

Yeah, saw that this morning.  Sounds like she was on a moped without a helmet.  Stupid thing to do, makes it all the sadder that it was completely avoidable.

Shite for the guy and like everyone else I feel for him.

However, I really want to make 'bah gawd, look at the carnage!' type jokes, but feel it would be rather poor taste not to mention a bit dickish.

I think I'm done with wrestling. I don't mind watching classic matches or events but new content.... I'm done.

Over the past 4 years or so, I've kept an interest because of certain individuals and the Rumble to Mania period of the year. Punk, Bryan and Grado being the saving graces to keep things really interesting.

I attended a handful of ICW shows up until FnL last year which, as good as it was, won't get as good as the previous year. These were good because of going with my friends enjoying a beer and having a weekend of laughs, but I'm decreasingly excited at the thought of watching a show, or keeping up to date with WWE.

I don't know if it's just me, but it's all gone rather stale and samey old in terms of ridiculous booking and believability within that. For example, Wyatt as world champ... I don't buy that. He's lost every major feud since losing to Cena at WM30 which was absolutely fantastic story telling and he should have went over to become a real believable threat.
Next year, he's in a one way feud with Taker whom should never be back since the streak ended. Taker has no input, shows up and beats him.
Then Taker is Vince's weapon against Shane out of absolutely nothing. Shane by the way, who shouldn't be in the fucking ring.

Sigh, maybe it's just a phase but nothing grabs me about it anymore.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I think I'm done with wrestling. I don't mind watching classic matches or events but new content.... I'm done.

Over the past 4 years or so, I've kept an interest because of certain individuals and the Rumble to Mania period of the year. Punk, Bryan and Grado being the saving graces to keep things really interesting.

I attended a handful of ICW shows up until FnL last year which, as good as it was, won't get as good as the previous year. These were good because of going with my friends enjoying a beer and having a weekend of laughs, but I'm decreasingly excited at the thought of watching a show, or keeping up to date with WWE.

I don't know if it's just me, but it's all gone rather stale and samey old in terms of ridiculous booking and believability within that. For example, Wyatt as world champ... I don't buy that. He's lost every major feud since losing to Cena at WM30 which was absolutely fantastic story telling and he should have went over to become a real believable threat.
Next year, he's in a one way feud with Taker whom should never be back since the streak ended. Taker has no input, shows up and beats him.
Then Taker is Vince's weapon against Shane out of absolutely nothing. Shane by the way, who shouldn't be in the fucking ring.

Sigh, maybe it's just a phase but nothing grabs me about it anymore.

I was in a similar situation to yoursekf just a couple of years ago, convinced I was finally coming to the end, had stopped watching WWE. Then, a mate comvinced me to go with him to the NXT show at The Hydro. That genuinly seemed to wake me up as of to how brilliant wrestling at its core can be. Went home, re-subscribed to the Network and watched things like Breaking Ground & WWE 24 as well, I was pretty much hooked again. 

I'm not a big fan of the current product, though SmackDown from a few months ago was some of the most enjoyable WWE TV in years. 

If you feel you need to, take a break from RAW & SD, just watch classic stuff on the Network or go full cold turkey. I'm going through this list at the minute and thoroughly enjoying it, might be worth a try  http://www.wwe.com/article/100-best-matches

The sheer amount of stuff out there makes it near impossible for me to stop watching. When one promotion has a bad run, there'll be another to keep me going in the meantime. PROGRESS have not long released their latest show and it's brilliant, with a definite something for everyone feel. wXw had their 16 Carat Gold tournament which by all accounts was fantastic. NJPW have been delivering a seriously high number of brilliant matches this year alone, and WWE have delivered some serious goods too.

As for WoS, it's good to see them getting that exposure, and a 10 episode run should be much better for them than a one off.

• 2 weeks later...