Pregnancy And Parenting

You know the saying, careful what you wish for?
Well, I got my wee girl a wee bit later when I was 40, I have two older boys in their late teens. Now I always wanted a girl and furthermore I wanted the wee lassie to doat on me, you know a real Daddy's girl.
She's 3 now and is utterly obsessed with me, when I am home Mum cannot even hand her her cup, she will take it from her mum, scream No and put it on the worktop then point at it and say "daddy". Of course we don't buy into it and I tell her to beat it however she is not easily put off.
Bed time when I'm working is a 20-30 minute affair however when I'm home she will not go to bed, wants to just sit with me all the time.
Of course she's as cute as a button and loved to bits but jeezo she's hard work.

Unorthodox Christmas here in Japan spending most of the day at the hospital for Sakuras full body scan.......no relapse or metastasis  comes as a very welcome Christmas gift :) 

Merry Christmas everyone xxx

Not at the christmas table, but that happened to us when the eldest was only about 8 months old. We went out for a meal for my dads 50th, and were going to head to a surprise party for him afterwards.
10 minutes before we were due to leave, the wee boy spewed all over the table. Queue a quick dash to asdas, a complete change of uniform for him and then down to the party before my dad got there. Never moved so fast in all my days

Grandchild nr 15 arrived on Christmas Eve - Grace Elizabeth, 6 lbs. All well. All siblings delighted. Will see how long that lasts for the 8 year old! Haven't seen her yet as I've been laid low with a chest infection and have been barely able to get out of bed, never mind anything else. 25 years between eldest grandchild and youngest.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Grandchild nr 15 arrived on Christmas Eve - Grace Elizabeth, 6 lbs. All well. All siblings delighted. Will see how long that lasts for the 8 year old! Haven't seen her yet as I've been laid low with a chest infection and have been barely able to get out of bed, never mind anything else. 25 years between eldest grandchild and youngest.

Congrats JG :thumsup2

21 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Congratulations!

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:33, sjc said:

Unorthodox Christmas here in Japan spending most of the day at the hospital for Sakuras full body scan.......no relapse or metastasis  comes as a very welcome Christmas gift :) 

Merry Christmas everyone xxx

Maybe unorthodox, but very welcome news, I'm sure! :thumsup2

Wee one is at a screaming/screeching stage it would appear. It's driving me nuts. It physically hurts my ears so it then turns me into a crabbit git. It's clearly her getting ready for the tantrum stage as it generally occurs when we take her away from something she was doing (that she shouldn't have been!). She'll just sit and do this for a wee while.

How did folk deal with this? I don't think I'll ever give in to her tantrums when the time comes. My niece used to kick off big style whem she was younger and her idiot parents* would instantly give in to her. This resulted in the wee one screaming and shouting for years anytime she never got her way as she knew it worked. At an age where they can communicate I'll find it easy but just now it's difficult as she can't be spoken to. She has a wee idea what "No" means though. Did folk just ignore even at this young age?

Her screech reminds me of Jurassic Park when the baby T-Rex hatches but with added ear piercing sharpness.

* Morons on in general who had a child for a fashion accessory at a young age and didn't realise there was more to it than pushing a pram. Their combined mental age is about 13 year old as well unfortunately.

Wee one is at a screaming/screeching stage it would appear. It's driving me nuts. It physically hurts my ears so it then turns me into a crabbit git. It's clearly her getting ready for the tantrum stage as it generally occurs when we take her away from something she was doing (that she shouldn't have been!). She'll just sit and do this for a wee while.

How did folk deal with this? I don't think I'll ever give in to her tantrums when the time comes. My niece used to kick off big style whem she was younger and her idiot parents* would instantly give in to her. This resulted in the wee one screaming and shouting for years anytime she never got her way as she knew it worked. At an age where they can communicate I'll find it easy but just now it's difficult as she can't be spoken to. She has a wee idea what "No" means though. Did folk just ignore even at this young age?

Her screech reminds me of Jurassic Park when the baby T-Rex hatches but with added ear piercing sharpness.

* Morons on in general who had a child for a fashion accessory at a young age and didn't realise there was more to it than pushing a pram. Their combined mental age is about 13 year old as well unfortunately.

How old is she? My wee one is 9 months and I find myself worrying about doing exactly what you say - giving in too easy to her crying and trying to comfort/satisfy her by giving her stuff to try to make her stop crying.

How old is she? My wee one is 9 months and I find myself worrying about doing exactly what you say - giving in too easy to her crying and trying to comfort/satisfy her by giving her stuff to try to make her stop crying.

She's almost 14 months. I'm not worried about giving into her as I know I won't because I've seen what happens in the long term if you give in in the short term.

I'm just unsure if I should be ignoring her or saying "no"/"that's enough" etc. at this each as she doesn't really understand what that means so to her it's just me looking at her angrily and saying gibberish. At least when she's able to understand I'll be able to explain why what she is doing is wrong.

(To give you an example of how used to getting her own way my niece was/how I know I won't give in to tantrums. We took her to a local parade a few years back. She had been doing something wrong and I told her if she continued she'd be going home. She continued to misbehave and I stuck by my word. She naturally flung herself to the ground and started screaming so I picked her up and started to walk home. It was about a 15 minute walk and she screamed the whole way (and continued when we got home) but I thought there is no point making 'threats' and not seeing them through. Her behaviour was ridiculous that day but the reason for it being she had learned by that point if she behaved like that her morons would give in. So tantrums won't work on me with Aila, I'm just not sure the best approach at this specific age really).

I’d say ignore it, ensure she’s safe and walk away.

My youngest still throws awful tantrums when she’s tired. I still ignore her but I’ve seen me walk away and sit in the close or garden. 

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

She's almost 14 months. I'm not worried about giving into her as I know I won't because I've seen what happens in the long term if you give in in the short term.

I'm just unsure if I should be ignoring her or saying "no"/"that's enough" etc. at this each as she doesn't really understand what that means so to her it's just me looking at her angrily and saying gibberish. At least when she's able to understand I'll be able to explain why what she is doing is wrong.

(To give you an example of how used to getting her own way my niece was/how I know I won't give in to tantrums. We took her to a local parade a few years back. She had been doing something wrong and I told her if she continued she'd be going home. She continued to misbehave and I stuck by my word. She naturally flung herself to the ground and started screaming so I picked her up and started to walk home. It was about a 15 minute walk and she screamed the whole way (and continued when we got home) but I thought there is no point making 'threats' and not seeing them through. Her behaviour was ridiculous that day but the reason for it being she had learned by that point if she behaved like that her morons would give in. So tantrums won't work on me with Aila, I'm just not sure the best approach at this specific age really).

I wouldn't underestimate what a 14 month old understands, they're all different but some understand well before that age.

32 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I wouldn't underestimate what a 14 month old understands, they're all different but some understand well before that age.

Bang on. 

A firm "no" is as much about the way it's said as what is said. Believe me, she'll know that you're not happy about what she's doing. If that doesn't work, remove her from what she's doing and she will learn quickly by association exactly what "no" means. 

1 minute ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Bang on. 

A firm "no" is as much about the way it's said as what is said. Believe me, she'll know that you're not happy about what she's doing. If that doesn't work, remove her from what she's doing and she will learn quickly by association exactly what "no" means. 

Parenting is not easy, for a start every kid is different in loads of ways, even doing what is correct or what you think is correct isn't always the right way for a particular child, the worst mistake I made was preparing one of them too well for school, unfortunately closed-mindedness, over eagerness,ego or some other shit had me thinking I was doing what was best for him, I was wrong big style.