Pregnancy And Parenting

8 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

34 weeks pregnant n she didn't know ? I've never known anyone to go this far long without knowing.

Congrats man. Great news :-)

I know it's pretty crazy as we've went through it all before. She originally went to the doctor's as she had pretty bad back pain, and we found this out, compared to when she was far on with my boy she's not showing as much, still got a considerable bump but in comparison it's nowhere near the same. Can't quite get my head around how our own gp would estimate her as 2-3 weeks, but then 2 weeks later at the scan she's 30+4.  But as Rowan said - we avoid all the early pregnancy worries! 

11 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

I know it's pretty crazy as we've went through it all before. She originally went to the doctor's as she had pretty bad back pain, and we found this out, compared to when she was far on with my boy she's not showing as much, still got a considerable bump but in comparison it's nowhere near the same. Can't quite get my head around how our own gp would estimate her as 2-3 weeks, but then 2 weeks later at the scan she's 30+4.  But as Rowan said - we avoid all the early pregnancy worries! 

I know a lassie that didn’t know she was pregnant, not once, but twice, right up to full term before she found out. As gman says, mental stuff, all the best 

I kept correcting my girlfriend who is referring to her Mums partner (she's been with him about 8 years) as my daughters Granddad until the point she snapped at me and got genuinely upset at me saying he isn't her Granddad. We are going to carry on falling out over it as I am in no mood for backing down over it but this man is not my daughters Granddad and if he starts referring to her as his Granddaughter and she starts calling him Granddad in later life it will not sit right with me at all.

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

I kept correcting my girlfriend who is referring to her Mums partner (she's been with him about 8 years) as my daughters Granddad until the point she snapped at me and got genuinely upset at me saying he isn't her Granddad. We are going to carry on falling out over it as I am in no mood for backing down over it but this man is not my daughters Granddad and if he starts referring to her as his Granddaughter and she starts calling him Granddad in later life it will not sit right with me at all.

You're not going to win this one - I'd let it go, tbh. (Although I see your point.)

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're not going to win this one - I'd let it go, tbh. (Although I see your point.)

I know I'm probably not going to win with it but I think it does a disservice to my own father and her own father who have a far bigger bond to the baby as they have watched me and my mrs grow up throughout our lives to the stage where we now have a child of our own. The baby can only have 2 Granddads and 2 Grandmothers at the end of the day and it bugs me when I hear my Mrs say to my 12 week old daughter that she is going to be staying with her Granny and Granddad for a week when neither of her Granddads are actually going to be present!

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I know I'm probably not going to win with it but I think it does a disservice to my own father and her own father who have a far bigger bond to the baby as they have watched me and my mrs grow up throughout our lives to the stage where we now have a child of our own. The baby can only have 2 Granddads and 2 Grandmothers at the end of the day and it bugs me when I hear my Mrs say to my 12 week old daughter that she is going to be staying with her Granny and Granddad for a week when neither of her Granddads are actually going to be present!

It's a difficult one. I remember when I met my ex gfs 2 daughters for the first time. They were 4 and 6 at the time and I was their Mums first bf since she'd split up with their dad about 2 years earlier. The oldest asked me straight away "so are you our dad now?"

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

It's a difficult one. I remember when I met my ex gfs 2 daughters for the first time. They were 4 and 6 at the time and I was their Mums first bf since she'd split up with their dad about 2 years earlier. The oldest asked me straight away "so are you our dad now?"

I suppose when they're that age then "Dad" to them can just mean the guy who lives in the house with them and tells them what to do occasionally.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Says who? I havnt seen this written anywhere.

Why do you need it in writing? Me and my girlfriend have a father and a mother each which equals 2 grandfathers and 2 grandmothers for our daughter. Its not rocket science. 

What about calling him papa or some other form that differentiates him from the two actual dads. Tbh if it’s your partners step dad then you kind of have to respect her. I fully expect in 25 yrs if my ex is still with current fiancé and kids have kids she will be gran of some form. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I suppose when they're that age then "Dad" to them can just mean the guy who lives in the house with them and tells them what to do occasionally.

That's a very jaundice view of a father/father figures role in a childs life is it not?

1 minute ago, throbber said:

In terms of how babies are made (unless IVF is involved) then yes.

Any fuckwit with fully functioning swimmers can be a father........being a Dad is completely different.

2 minutes ago, Rowan said:

What about calling him papa or some other form that differentiates him from the two actual dads

Agree, we have a papa. He’s no one of the grandads, but he’s good with the kids and loves them, so deserves some type of title imo

Families are complex. At end of the day theober you need stop picking a fight and instead discuss it and come to an agreement.

As a parent, believe me, this is going to be a trivial issue compared to others that come your way. 

Edit to add: if he’s willing to pitch in to take your 3 month old for an entire week then he clearly is going to bond with her. Maybe a little more gratitude and less attitude. Grow up and accept life doesn’t come in perfect sums.

Edited by Rowan

Families are complex. At end of the day theober you need stop picking a fight and instead discuss it and come to an agreement.
As a parent, believe me, this is going to be a trivial issue compared to others that come your way. 

Edit to add: if he’s willing to pitch in to take your 3 month old for an entire week then he clearly is going to bond with her. Maybe a little more gratitude and less attitude. Grow up and accept life doesn’t come in perfect sums.

He isn’t taking her for a week as such my girlfriend is up that way to see her family, I don’t particularly want to be apart from the two of them for a week at this stage of her life either so it’s not as if I’m asking them to do me a favour.

Whst strikes me most about your post is they’ve been all about you. Not you’re child or girlfriend, just you.

If her family aren’t local then it’s understandable your girlfriend wants to take the baby and spend time with them. I did exactly the same. 

56 minutes ago, throbber said:

And life started 4000 years BC, as if my ancestors were monkeys lol.

Whst strikes me most about your post is they’ve been all about you. Not you’re child or girlfriend, just you.
If her family aren’t local then it’s understandable your girlfriend wants to take the baby and spend time with them. I did exactly the same. 

I don’t have any problem with her family or her step dad I just don’t like him being referred to as her granddad when my dad and my partners dad are the ones who deserve that title. I’m not objecting to her going and spending time with him or anything like that, he can have what ever rapport with her that he wants.

Without trying to come across as 'birthday caird pish', I'd see it as such a positive for your wee one. The idea that she has 3 grandfathers/papas is a great thing. Better that than her not having anyone in that role.

If the person in question had only been on the scene a year or so I could understand what you are saying but after 8 years is it not fair to say he's part of the family anyway?