Pregnancy And Parenting

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Superb. She's a baller wee Sakura!

Is Christmas big in Japan? Presumably not so much if they schedule hospital appointments on the day annual gift man is due

Cheers mate.

Yeh Christmas is a normal working day here. Young couples and families tend to acknowledge it with gifts but certainly not with turkey dinners though. New year is a big thing with everything being shut and a national holiday.

My boys trying his hardest to take little steps now, takes one or two then gives up, I don't think he's confident yet to let go fully. Any tips on how to help? He's not really interested in his walker or that he prefers to sofa surf and play! 

Here's him dressed up as Mickey. 

FB_IMG_1511106403946.jpg

We would walk Aila with one hand and another thing we did was sit facing each other about 6/7 feet apart and let her walk between us and if she fell we were close enough to catch her. He'll walk when he's ready though and I wouldn't worry about rushing it.

You want to be thinking of ways to slow him down from walking, believe me! [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Rowan said:

My youngest didn’t walk until she was 18months old. Just leave him to it.

Fair play, I'm not trying to force it as such, but he's obviously lacking the confidence that's why I'm asking for advice, as he is capable he takes steps to each bit of couch without holding on. 

Fair play, I'm not trying to force it as such, but he's obviously lacking the confidence that's why I'm asking for advice, as he is capable he takes steps to each bit of couch without holding on. 

This will sound daft but do you have any other toddlers in your social circle? Monkey see monkey do is massive with Aila. She threatened to crawl for almost a month but just couldn't get her other leg to go where she wanted. My mate brought his wee one round who had recently started crawling and after half an hour she had managed to figure out her legs for the first time. We were actually sitting there open mouthed when she did it, given we'd be trying to help her for weeks with it.

The confidence will come. Do you have carpets or wooden floors? She was a lot more cautious at our house (laminate) than she was at my mums (carpet). She actually took most of her big strides at my mum and dad's house and I'm convinced it was because falling down on carpet was less uncomfortable so she took more 'risks'.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

This will sound daft but do you have any other toddlers in your social circle? Monkey see monkey do is massive with Aila. She threatened to crawl for almost a month but just couldn't get her other leg to go where she wanted. My mate brought his wee one round who had recently started crawling and after half an hour she had managed to figure out her legs for the first time. We were actually sitting there open mouthed when she did it, given we'd be trying to help her for weeks with it.

The confidence will come. Do you have carpets or wooden floors? She was a lot more cautious at our house (laminate) than she was at my mums (carpet). She actually took most of her big strides at my mum and dad's house and I'm convinced it was because falling down on carpet was less uncomfortable so she took more 'risks'.

Yeah, he interacts with my nephew's, and some of my girlfriend's friends have kids as well. We just moved house there last month, and got all new carpets. I know what you mean, in our last house we had wooden flooring in the hall and he found it slippy to crawl on never mind take steps. He's much more confident on the carpet, as you say it's less uncomfortable. 

Is Aila pronounced like Eilidh with an “A” sound at the end of it? Or is it more like Isla?

Apparently it's supposed to be pronounced the same way as Isla but we don't. We pronounce it 'A-la'/'Eh-La'. We wanted a name that wasn't common but wasn't ridiculous either and one that was easy to pronounce. We thought we had ticked every box until we heard all the different ways folk tried to say her name [emoji38]

Apparently it's supposed to be pronounced the same way as Isla but we don't. We pronounce it 'A-la'/'Eh-La'. We wanted a name that wasn't common but wasn't ridiculous either and one that was easy to pronounce. We thought we had ticked every box until we heard all the different ways folk tried to say her name [emoji38]

You have probably had to explain that a thousand times already. And your child will need to explain this all through her life as well!

I can understand some of the pronunciations folk have come out with but others are borderline stupidity.

One was 'Al-eh-ah' - so I assume they were just dyslexic and another was 'Ah-lia' - basically say 'A liar' without the R.

I've not heard it pronounced like Eilidh as you suggested so that's another new one [emoji38]

To avoid confusion, regardless of whether the next one is a boy or a girl, it's getting called Bert.

I can understand some of the pronunciations folk have come out with but others are borderline stupidity.

One was 'Al-eh-ah' - so I assume they were just dyslexic and another was 'Ah-lia' - basically say 'A liar' without the R.

I've not heard it pronounced like Eilidh as you suggested so that's another new one [emoji38]

To avoid confusion, regardless of whether the next one is a boy or a girl, it's getting called Bert.

I didn’t mean pronounced as Eilidh but just the first syllable as being the same! I had originally thought about the name Aaliya when I saw the name as well, she was an American singer who died in a plane crash in 2001.