Pregnancy And Parenting

40 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

My three and a half year old keeps waking up, inconsolable with what I can only describe as ‘night terrors’. We initially thought she was in pain but she is saying nothing hurts. 

Anyone had any experience of this and any tips of how to console her? 

This won't probably help, but my earliest memories are of being scared of nothingness, nightmares of undulating whiteness, maybe belated memories from the womb. Who knows but I think it was not long after being put in my own room. Maybe worth trying moving her bed into your room for a spell?

My three and a half year old keeps waking up, inconsolable with what I can only describe as ‘night terrors’. We initially thought she was in pain but she is saying nothing hurts. 

It's not uncommon and it'll pass before too long is probably the most comfort i can offer. Our oldest had a few episodes of it and it was pretty unsettling. There isn't an awful lot you can do to console her other than hugs and reassurance. Trying too hard to wake them properly can cause them to lash out or become confused. Ours normally had no recollection whatsoever the next day.

We find she was most likely to get them when she had a fever or goy too warm in bed. So a cool bedroom/Calpol before bed might help. Over eating before bedtime is meant to be a potential cause too.

How did folk do/ehat age was the wee one when you took the dummy from them?

We're on holiday next week and are thinking it might be a good time to get her off it. Unsure whether the best approach is to completely remove it or just let her have it at nap and bed time. Those are the times she normally has it anyway so it would probably be pointless. I feel somewhat cruel doing it when she's just past 1 but feel if she's less likely to remember it just now it will be easier than doing it later. I don't like seeing kids running around with dummies who speak while it's in! So I want it removed before then.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

We're on holiday next week and are thinking it might be a good time to get her off it. Unsure whether the best approach is to completely remove it or just let her have it at nap and bed time. Those are the times she normally has it anyway so it would probably be pointless. I feel somewhat cruel doing it when she's just past 1 but feel if she's less likely to remember it just now it will be easier than doing it later. I don't like seeing kids running around with dummies who speak while it's in! So I want it removed before then.

Our daughter was about 18 months, and we only did it because she got a rash round her mouth and thought the dummy might be the cause of it.

Our son is just coming up for 2 and he still gets it in bed.  I'm dreading when we take it off him at night.

See I reckon she'd probably scream for a couple nights then be fine. A lot of the time she dozes off without it anyway. During the night she can wake up looking for it and that's my fear: not giving her it then and it results in her waking up fully.

We absolutely dreaded it with our oldest. Got her down to naps and bedtime for a week or so. Worried about the first night but she slept through and never really worried about it again.

I'd just go for it, hide them and don't talk or make a deal about it.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:39, keithgy said:

It will break my heart when Ben asks who is dad is and we have to tell him his dad didn't want to know him.

Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Go for it!

two of mine didn’t have dummies or suck thumbs.

third sucks two fingers but thankfully only when she’s about to dose off. Can’t just chop her fingers off though so should maybe have given her a dummy when she started sucking fingers. Just hoping she stops before the age I did, 23 

I hate seeing 3/4 yr olds with dummies in mouths in suoermarkets etc. 

Someone we know did a "dummy fairy" type thing. Tell them to leave the dummy in a certain location before bed and the dummy fairy will come and take it and leave them a wee present. Worked well apparently. Although I guess it depends how old they are and if they can understand that concept. Will probably give it a go when it's time for ours to get rid of hers. Will he a wee while until we get to that though I think. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It isn’t as bad as you think honest :lol: we had double trouble as we got rid of their sooky blanket at the same time as their dummy 

On 14/10/2017 at 23:01, heedthebaa said:

Granddaughter booked in to the sick kids in November for her inevitable hip operation. She's going to be in plaster from the waist to her toes for 6-7 weeks. X-rays confirming she needs it done as soon as, so it'll be all hands to the pumps for her recovery over Xmas

Ava been up to the sick kids today for a pre op and the respiratory team said she’s not fit for the intended op, so looking like she’s probably cancelled until March time. She doesn’t keep well between October and March with all the bugs, so it looks like just Botox injections that replaced the hyoscine patches to reduce saliva and a slow drip antibiotic to see her through winter. Seekner but what can you do 

10 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Ava been up to the sick kids today for a pre op and the respiratory team said she’s not fit for the intended op, so looking like she’s probably cancelled until March time. She doesn’t keep well between October and March with all the bugs, so it looks like just Botox injections that replaced the hyoscine patches to reduce saliva and a slow drip antibiotic to see her through winter. Seekner but what can you do 

That's too bad. Keep on keeping on.

13 hours ago, EH75 said:

Someone we know did a "dummy fairy" type thing. Tell them to leave the dummy in a certain location before bed and the dummy fairy will come and take it and leave them a wee present. Worked well apparently. Although I guess it depends how old they are and if they can understand that concept. Will probably give it a go when it's time for ours to get rid of hers. Will he a wee while until we get to that though I think. 

We did a similar thing, instead we got our son to put them in the bin and he didn’t get a present after it :lol:

It works really well as they know that it is not available, rather than just taking your word for it that they are all gone. Don’t think we had any real problems through the night or anything.

Anyone else think one of the best things about being a parent is getting to use baby wipes to wipe your arse on a regular basis?

George really struggles to sleep any length at night. He goes from one cold to the next then it’s teeth etc. He’s 10 months and I could count on two hands the amount of ‘good’ sleeps he’s had. Still, he’s a cracking wee guy and through the day he’s as happy as can be [emoji2]

We did this, and it worked a treat.

At about 18 months we decided to only give dummies when sleeping. Just before the age of 3 we did the big farewell with the 'baba fairy'. The fairy takes them and gives them to babies who need them.

On 11/18/2017 at 08:37, heedthebaa said:

That's bad luck. Probably for the best as no sense in putting Ava at any further risk. Chin up mate.

On 16 November 2017 at 23:00, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Oi! You pair of p***ks that gave red dots to this, piss off.  I might have my differences with bobby on other threads but this thread is an utter no,no to be in anyway nasty to each other as far as I am concerned.

On 10 November 2017 at 21:39, keithgy said:

It will break my heart when Ben asks who is dad is and we have to tell him his dad didn't want to know him.

My stepson has always thought that I was his real dad. I did ask my wife a few times to tell him the truth but she always said no. His real dad broke her nose when she caught him cheating whilst she was pregnant. He has 4 other kids and he was in the local paper once saying how much that he always wanted 4 kids but he conveniently forgot about his 5th and oldest, (my stepson). My wife used to take the lad to see his grandmother every couple of weeks to keep in touch but his real dad just ignored him.

Last year, for some reason, the "father" told his other kids about the existence of my wife's boy. Cue a Facebook appeal to find him from them and lo and behold a halfwit relative declared that they knew who they were looking for. Of course it showed up on his own timeline so the cat was well and truly out the bag. 

When I next saw my stepson, he hugged me and said that as far as he was concerned, I was his dad as I was the one who raised him and I was the person who gave him his guidance and values in life.

The other "family" were very aggressive in their attitude towards my wife when she told them to back off. Their initial reply was that if they could not meet their brother then they would call Jeremy Kyle:lol:

There are a great deal of things about that "family" that would make your toes curl if I was to tell about them but I won't.

My stepson had his real dads name as his middle name. Last week, under his own idea, he had his birth certificate altered to make his middle name the same as my own wonderful stepfather who we both absolutely adored.

I love the boy to bits.

Edited by supermik