Pregnancy And Parenting

Due to a very serious issue that was quite literally laughed off by the head teacher my step sons have moved school. They are now at my old school, which unfortunately is a catholic school so they are being taught all those nice little stories about men in the sky. Now, they have been there a few months and the eldest gets his Confirmation this year, although they call it something different now apparently. He has homework every week about stories from the bible and he actually seems quite into it. I did tell him though that these things aren't facts. They are just stories that people believe and if he doesn't believe in it then that's fine, because not everyone does and I certainly don't. 

He is an intelligent boy anyway so always questions things. Anyway, he was christened as a baby but his wee brothers aren't. Now they will be so they can go to that school. It isn't something I wanted for my son because I think it's quite daft. However I was happy to do it because I know it would make my wee maw quite happy. 

Anyway my ex and I split up last year and our relationship has been up and down since. Out of the blue this morning she asked if I would be my step sons godfather, which took me completely by surprise. I know these things in theory mean hee haw and it's really about sentiment, but that lifted my spirits significantly. I wasn't sure whether to post it in here or the RTBC thread, but either way, it's pleasing. 

On 2/16/2017 at 22:03, keithgy said:

Maisie has a displaced hip and will need to get a cast on.

My daughter had this too, wasn't discovered till she was about 3/4 months old. She had to wear a Von Rosen splint for 6 weeks and then a Craig splint for 4 weeks. The Von Rosen splint was an utter bitch as it had to stay on at times, changing dirty nappies was murder. Craig splint was removeable and was considerably less hassle.

As Panda said it's a difficult couple of months but she should come through it fine. My wee one ended up never crawling and just bummed about with her legs crossed, like a wee shimmying buddha. (I wish I'd filmed it as I see babies doing it all the time on You've Been Framed!) She also took a wee bit longer to get up on her feet but she still got there eventually.

7 years later she's attending Dancing and Judo every week and to think I can remember fearing the worst and thinking she wasn't going to be able to walk properly.

She only has to attend a check up at the hospital annually now just to make sure that both legs are growing at the same rate, the leg with the displaced hip is marginally shorter but it's not noticeable.

She'll be fine and will cope with it better than the adults. ;)

Edited by Tommy Nooka

1 hour ago, Tommy Nooka said:

My daughter had this too, wasn't discovered till she was about 3/4 months old. She had to wear a Von Rosen splint for 6 weeks and then a Craig splint for 4 weeks. The Von Rosen splint was an utter bitch as it had to stay on at times, changing dirty nappies was murder. Craig splint was removeable and was considerably less hassle.

As Panda said it's a difficult couple of months but she should come through it fine. My wee one ended up never crawling and just bummed about with her legs crossed, like a wee shimmying buddha. (I wish I'd filmed it as I see babies doing it all the time on You've Been Framed!) She also took a wee bit longer to get up on her feet but she still got there eventually.

7 years later she's attending Dancing and Judo every week and to think I can remember fearing the worst and thinking she wasn't going to be able to walk properly.

She only has to attend a check up at the hospital annually now just to make sure that both legs are growing at the same rate, the leg with the displaced hip is marginally shorter but it's not noticeable.

She'll be fine and will cope with it better than the adults;)

Correct. Children treat everything as being "normal", it's only when they get up a bit they start acting like us...

On 16/02/2017 at 22:03, keithgy said:

Maisie has a displaced hip and will need to get a cast on.

Ava been up the sick kids today to see about her hips as both are coming out their sockets. Happy with her just now, so operation is getting put off till next year. 

Ava been up the sick kids today to see about her hips as both are coming out their sockets. Happy with her just now, so operation is getting put off till next year. 

What do they do for bairns with the hip displacement thing these days? I mind when I was about 12 a woman my mum knew had a bairn with this problem and they had to put the poor bairn in some weird big belt type thing until they got a date for the operation.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

What do they do for bairns with the hip displacement thing these days? I mind when I was about 12 a woman my mum knew had a bairn with this problem and they had to put the poor bairn in some weird big belt type thing until they got a date for the operation.

She'll be put in cast after op for 6 weeks bud, we knew this was coming, seemingly par for the course with kids with cerebral palsy 

She'll be put in cast after op for 6 weeks bud, we knew this was coming, seemingly par for the course with kids with cerebral palsy 

I wondered if they still did that or if some new method of fixing it had been discovered in the last 20 odd years. That woman my mum knew's bairn got put in a cast after his hip op. It was just some displacement condition caused by growing though, it wasn't down to cerebral palsy or anything like that. I mind the wee nipper giving no fucks about it though, romping about shouting "Look I've got hard pants!!!"[emoji1]

My wife is back to work so we've arranged our shifts around each other, meaning I'm going to a few of the baby groups my wife signed up to when she was on maternity leave. It's great, but I've quickly discovered that I hate most other parents. I mean kids are fantastic, and watching Bea interacting with other babies is great, but the parents are awful.

There's one group on a Wednesday which is great, parents seem like normal human beings, but the other two just seem to have people who exist in a weird world so removed from reality it's slightly frightening. I guess that's what happens when our local baby groups all seem to be in Morningside.

I go to a great group on a Tuesday, for parents with babies under 1 and we set up and organise it amongst ourselves. Some of the other groups aren't that great and too cliquey for my liking. I also hate the competition amongst mums. Boasting over how much your baby weighs :lol: who gives a f**k! 

I go to a great group on a Tuesday, for parents with babies under 1 and we set up and organise it amongst ourselves. Some of the other groups aren't that great and too cliquey for my liking. I also hate the competition amongst mums. Boasting over how much your baby weighs :lol: who gives a f**k! 

That's what the Morningside one is like. Boasting over nothing, 'my daughter already has 4 teeth' well done on your wonderful achievement. One of them announced that she doesn't think 'it's best' for the mother to go back to work before they are three. Felt like saying it's alright for you to say but some of us have to go to work so we can actually buy our bairn food and pay the rent.

I don't think it helps that my wife and I are both 27 but most folk at these groups seem to be in their mid-thirties and up. Nothing against older parents or anything but I always feel like we've got nothing in common with them. Probably also difficult being the only man at half of these things and my wife isn't the sort of person to give the time of day to people she doesn't like so she's not even pretended to make an effort with the snobbier ones (who all seemed to already know each other).

My daughter got her teeth quite early but to be honest there wasn't much point, got a phone call from school when she was in Primary 1 to say she'd had quite a bad fall. I arrived at the school and she was holding one of her incisors in her hand the other was dangling about, lovely! She tripped over someones foot in class and fell into a bookcase.

13 hours ago, jmothecat said:

There's one group on a Wednesday which is great, parents seem like normal human beings, but the other two just seem to have people who exist in a weird world so removed from reality it's slightly frightening. I guess that's what happens when our local baby groups all seem to be in Morningside.

Just Pie and Bovril for parents then basically?