Black Scottish Footballers

On an unrelated point... My grandad was the only white player in the Ugandan League Select team to face a touring team captained by Sir Stanley Matthews in the Ide Amin days. My grandad also raced Amin in the swimming pool on various occasions. I'm also a direct descendant of Robert The Bruce so I might have a genuine claim to the title 'Last King of Scotland'.

The superbly-named Wale Quik-Ajet (who was indeed very quick) played a couple of games for Queen's Park and dotted around a few other sides, including the Accies....but he really wasn't that good other than his speed. I think that his folks were Nigerian and he spent some of his childhood there although he was born here.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dorian Ogunro is an ex player of and current manager at Edinburgh University, King Cup winners 2014 and successful Lowland League applicants...

...and he lived down the road from me in Edinburgh when I was a kid...!

• 3 months later...

After seeing Chris Iwelumo make his Scotland debut, I was just wondering if there are any other black footballers that were born in this country.

Andrew Watson in the 18th century was a pioneer for Black footballers a student at Glasgow Uni was our captain

18th century? :o

Walter Tull was another one that was going to sign for Rangers died in the great war played for Northampton and Spurs,suffered disgusting racial abuse in England was the first black officer in the Brit army was in the football regiment they made up

Andrew Watson was a fascinating character & there has been a few articles about his life. I believe there is a bit in the Hampden Museum about him. Captain of Scotland. I have a postcard of him bought from the last years Kelvingrove football exhibition.

Andrew Watson (24 May 1856 – 8 March 1921) is widely considered to be the world's first black association footballer to play at international level.[2][3][4] He was capped three times for Scotland between 1881 and 1882. Although Arthur Wharton is commonly thought to be Britain's first black player, Watson's career predates him by over a decade.

Hamish

Wiki reckons he worked in Liverpool and then retired to London.

I am shocked that you appear to be mistaken.

Really so is Stuart Cosgrove then that done a documentary about his life,take that any day over Wicki anybody can write on that if they want

Dryhorce - not for the first time, you're talking nonsense (and maybe so was Cosgrove).

He lived on Merseyside. He's buried in Richmond Cemetery, London.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/fate-of-scotland-s-first-black-footballer-revealed-1-2845754

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/andrew-watson-a-gravestone-that-deserves-more

Dryhorce - not for the first time, you're talking nonsense (and maybe so was Cosgrove).

He lived on Merseyside. He's buried in Richmond Cemetery, London.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/fate-of-scotland-s-first-black-footballer-revealed-1-2845754

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/andrew-watson-a-gravestone-that-deserves-more

Fair enough I brought him up though in the first place,maye they found his grave after the show was made?

Ever thought about that eventuality ever occurring but you would rather say that I was talking shite?

What is wrong with you did you not get enough cuddles or something when you were a child?