Black Scottish Footballers

Viktor Kasule....played for Albion Rovers end of the 80's but dont think he ever got a call up!! :P

I'm 99% sure that he's english.

Ex-Dundee Utd (not sure where he is now) player Danier Ogunmade went to school in Coatbridge. Not sure where he was born though.

I'm 99% sure that he's english.

Ex-Dundee Utd (not sure where he is now) player Danier Ogunmade went to school in Coatbridge. Not sure where he was born though.

Danny Ogunmade was born in Glasgow and to confirm the Lanarkshire connection,briefly played Junior with Bellshill in 2004-05.

Vic Kasule was born in Glasgow on 28/5/65, joining Albion Rovers during the 82-83 season from Motherwell Miners Ams.

• 5 months later...
I had a conversation about this with a mate at work who is from Cameroon. We both came to the conclusion that the reason is that there just aren't that many black people in scotland. The number is definitely increasing and I think in about 10-15 years there will probably be at least a couple of black players in the scotland team. IMHO this will be a very good development. Scotland really lack both pace and power and black players (not all i might add) tend to have more of both (yes I know that is a bit of a generalisation but it's also fairly accurate).

Yep, I'd go with that.

A guy played for Swindon & Gillimgham a few years called Iffy something. He was Scottish

Yep, Iffy Onuora, and acording to wikipedia he was born in Glasgow. He's now managed Swindon Town, Gillingham and Lincoln City, as a caretaker for the latter two.

According to todays Record, Man Utd player Danny Welbeck is apparently "Scottish". Ridiculous.

According to todays Record, Man Utd player Danny Welbeck is apparently "Scottish". Ridiculous.

:D

Where on earth did they get that from ? He was born in Manchester to Ghanaian parents. Already played for Ingerland at Youth level.

Where on earth did they get that from ? He was born in Manchester to Ghanaian parents. Already played for Ingerland at Youth level.

He apparently has a family connection to Scotland. Probably means that he had a granny born in Glasgow. He's a hot prospect in English football so its likely just another nonsense story.

its always annoyed me that scotland has had very little influx from immigrants and ethnic minorities into the game, esp the national team (lou macari springs to mind)

we must be one of the few countries in the world to have not had this, plus we have a problem with ireland poaching players who have an irish background so that makes it a double whammy.

think cosgrove did a good peice about this in his hampden bablyon book.

where are all the italian, asian, polish players.

anyone remember jazz juttla who was on rangers books for a while.

hopefull in 15 years time the lithuainian and eastern europe people's kid will want to play for us.

its always annoyed me that scotland has had very little influx from immigrants and ethnic minorities into the game, esp the national team (lou macari springs to mind)

we must be one of the few countries in the world to have not had this, plus we have a problem with ireland poaching players who have an irish background so that makes it a double whammy.

think cosgrove did a good peice about this in his hampden bablyon book.

where are all the italian, asian, polish players.

anyone remember jazz juttla who was on rangers books for a while.

hopefull in 15 years time the lithuainian and eastern europe people's kid will want to play for us.

Yep, was at Morton after he left Rangers. Never made it with us though, think he went junior.

[quote name='sonnj'

<_<

We get castigated again yet it's been o.k. for you lot to play Ingerlish and South African footballers for years. The first guy mentioned in this thread was from Guyana and played for you. You've had a Swede captain you and there's a Malaysian in the team as well as your usual Ingerlish. And you want a load of second-generation Eastern Europeans. And yet, as usual, have a go at the Irish. We didn't pick anybody born outside of Ireland until 1965.

You can't have it both ways.

The biggest “ethnic” population in Scotland is probably the Irish and we have had plenty of players born and raised here with Irish family origins play for us over the years

I had a conversation about this with a mate at work who is from Cameroon. We both came to the conclusion that the reason is that there just aren't that many black people in scotland. The number is definitely increasing and I think in about 10-15 years there will probably be at least a couple of black players in the scotland team. IMHO this will be a very good development. Scotland really lack both pace and power and black players (not all i might add) tend to have more of both (yes I know that is a bit of a generalisation but it's also fairly accurate).

We have already discussed this.

Whites are stronger blacks are faster.

Supported by FACTS

• 2 months later...
Guest crudenbud
Kevin Harper was born in England but raised in Edinburgh.

Black Scottish-born footballers include Chris Mackie (ex Alloa), Malcolm Kpedekpo (ex Aberdeen), Chris Ogboke (ex Montrose). Callum McRobbie of Aberdeen's U19s could be mixed race?

Quite siimply the best footballer I've ever seen close up. His mum lives about 5 doors down from my folks and when I was a kid I'd go down to the school footy pitch and Malcolm would let us have a kick about with him. He's be down there every night practising on his tod, hitting the bar from the halfway line at will. I was in awe, but then I was a 9 year old kid and this guy was signed for Aberdeen and had been chased by Celtic for years beforehand - he might have been dreadful but thats not how my memory tells it!

Works as an accountant in Edinburgh now - think he was just too clever to be a footballer - seem to remember he was given the choice of a big job with an accountancy firm or a 1 year deal with the Dons, and he went with the job.

Quite siimply the best footballer I've ever seen close up. His mum lives about 5 doors down from my folks and when I was a kid I'd go down to the school footy pitch and Malcolm would let us have a kick about with him. He's be down there every night practising on his tod, hitting the bar from the halfway line at will. I was in awe, but then I was a 9 year old kid and this guy was signed for Aberdeen and had been chased by Celtic for years beforehand - he might have been dreadful but thats not how my memory tells it!

Works as an accountant in Edinburgh now - think he was just too clever to be a footballer - seem to remember he was given the choice of a big job with an accountancy firm or a 1 year deal with the Dons, and he went with the job.

I was at uni with Malcolm - really nice guy. He had some kind of flexi-training regime during his 3 years and uni then went full time after he graduated. I would be sittign with him in lectures on a Friday and then Sunday he come as a sub at Ibrox. He scored a barrelled load in the reserves but never quite broke into the first team.

It was only when Aberdeen released him that he packed it in to become an accountant - he had a few offers from some other premier leagues sides but decided it wasn't for him

<_<

We get castigated again yet it's been o.k. for you lot to play Ingerlish and South African footballers for years. The first guy mentioned in this thread was from Guyana and played for you. You've had a Swede captain you and there's a Malaysian in the team as well as your usual Ingerlish. And you want a load of second-generation Eastern Europeans. And yet, as usual, have a go at the Irish. We didn't pick anybody born outside of Ireland until 1965.

You can't have it both ways.

Out of interest, why can't you bring yourself to write the word "English"? It really isn't difficult.