Chris Iwelumo

Myers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he should be caled up at least as a squad player. He is in outstanding goal scoring form in the championship - obviously international is a big step up but he has goals in him no doubt.

At 6'4 he would bring a different dimension to the side even if he was coming off the bench when we are pushing for a goal.

Echoing my posts on TAMB;

I've long asked for this guy to be called up. Wouldn't like to see him starting but he would provide something quite substantial to hit if we're looking for a goal and time is running out on us for instance. Or say if a team were denying us through middle, keeping it narrow or what have you. Skopje would be a prime and recent example.

I've been surprised by his early season form at Wolves, but it's irrelevant. It's not necessarily his ability in front of goal we would be looking for, you could obviously consider it a perk though. All I know is that with his power in the air and hold up skill he's an awkward customer for defences. He would provide, in himself, another dimension for Scotland.

I went to the B game Vs. the Republic of Ireland at the excelsior myself and I can assure you that he was, that night at least, a total class above the rest. He won his every header, held the ball superbly well and as a matter of fact, as a technical player; first touch, dribbling etc. he seemed quite honed. Displayed a great work-rate that evening also, he was never seen standing idly in the middle, he was always looking to get on the ball. Moving into channels, running across the defence. There was a lot of intelligence about his play too. In short - Iwelumo looked to have everything you would want in a target man. I was very, very impressed that evening.

All of the above said however I'm not at all fond of coming to conclusions on the evidence of B internationals, second string affairs and the likes. They're generally nothing like the real full blooded game of football where there's somewhat more on the line. I've since seen him on a number of occasions for Charlton & Wolverhampton in the championship and his displays then have only served to reinforce what I saw at Airdrie that evening.

I think it would be an injustice if he wasn't at least given an opportunity to prove himself in one of our friendlies, preferably in the immediate future. (First team of course).

FWIW I would have both Steven Fletcher & Ross McCormack on the fringes of the squad. Too much talent to be overlooked. Clever players.

Incidently, how are guys like Michael Stewart and Kris Commons getting a call up before Ross McCormack? When did Stewart become a player?

As far as I'm aware he's had a cracking start to the season.

He ran the midfield against us last week (whilst also scoring a peach of a goal) and he also got MoM at the weekend.

Put simply, 8 goals in the Championship must make him the in form Scottish striker of a sufficient standard. I'd have him in the squad for the Norway game.

Even with his recurring problem he has?

What's his recurring problem, anger management? On the incident on Saturday the Preston player has gone in to the ref to tell him nothing happened, otherwise I don't know much about his history, but he's 6'4 and scores goals at Championship level, I don't see how that can be completely overlooked.

What's his recurring problem, anger management? On the incident on Saturday the Preston player has gone in to the ref to tell him nothing happened, otherwise I don't know much about his history, but he's 6'4 and scores goals at Championship level, I don't see how that can be completely overlooked.

That he's black.

I think we should have a targetman, as one of our 5 attacking options. I'm not sure if Boyd really counts as a targetman, despite his height, considering he doesn't really hold up the ball.

This is a really childish way to look at it but considering Iwelumo's team is higher up the division than O'Connor's, he's started more games than O'Connor and scored more goals than O'Connor, maybe he should be ahead of O'Connor in the next squad. Atleast Iwelumo would definitely turn up, and his form is more impressive than that of Kris Commons, who Burley thought deserved a chance.

I'd also like to point out that Stewart and commons are getting called up before guys like McCormack because they play completely different positions.

Also Stewart has three goals from central midfield (more than any other midfielder in SPL and one more than Miller) andhas at least two MOMs. He more than earns his call up.

I haven't seen much personally, but judging from the positive reports from people in this thread, as well as the stone cold fact of 8 Championship goals this season, a call up to the squad to face Norway wouldn't be undeserved.

I haven't seen much personally, but judging from the positive reports from people in this thread, as well as the stone cold fact of 8 Championship goals this season, a call up to the squad to face Norway wouldn't be undeserved.

I used to love Iwelumo, of course he rarely or possibly never scored for Saints, but you could see he would be good, he reminded me of Ronaldo at the time, id love to see him called up, he is the kind of guy we need and havent had up front for years.

We tend not to pick black players though, i think we have had a couple of brown ones before, so maybe he is in with a chance.

Archived