Cappielow Set For 2million Upgrade

The Cowshed was brilliant when away fans were allowed in it. Got into such a sorry state in the late 90's. The seating mixed with terracing is pretty cool though, very unique.

The away end is a state. Steps literally crumbling away, parts of brick coming out from under the benches.Can't see it lasting much longer if it doesn't receive some serious renovation. A roof is the last thing it needs right now.

It is getting some minor work done on it this summer. Hopefully it will help a bit. The whole ground is coming apart though. It needs a decent bit of work in the next few years or we're in trouble. All the good work of bringing it back up to a decent state is being undone by neglect.

Major credit to the volunteers who are helping at least make the ground look a bit better at the moment.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, as already mentioned, the away end behind the goal is getting a lot of work done to it like fixing the steps and benches and sorting out the turnstiles/gates, and general maintenance work all around the ground.

I love away fans in the Cowshed, great atmosphere.

Good good :) . If I fall and break my neck at the New Year game it won't be because of the booze, I promise :P .

It was always a hoot, even when both teams were having pretty average seasons it would always be a great atmosphere. I can't remember many boring 0-0's between the 2 teams.

It is getting some minor work done on it this summer. Hopefully it will help a bit. The whole ground is coming apart though. It needs a decent bit of work in the next few years or we're in trouble. All the good work of bringing it back up to a decent state is being undone by neglect.

Major credit to the volunteers who are helping at least make the ground look a bit better at the moment.

Yep well done to the volunteers.

That is the worry, I hope it hasn't been left too late. Stadiums like Cappelow and Somerset Park are a dying breed.

I understand why we had to leave Love St but if it was possible I'd swap our newish ground and training facilities to be back there in a heartbeat.

If you get in the Cowshed or the WDE, Cappielow is a outstanding place to watch the football. The Main Stand is horrible, no leg room at all.

Agreed, I was in the Cowshed a few years back and it's a smashing place to watch from. Unfortunately I'm 6 foot and have legs so the main stand is comfortably the most uncomfortable away day in the country for me.

Bring a decent number of fans and we'd open the WDE.

In saying that, I think more fans would travel if they knew they were getting that option. Especially on a sunny day.

Aye it's a self defeating circle. A lot of our fans (especially the older ones) are turned off by the cramped main stand, so less fans turn up, so we don't get the WDE, so we end up cramped into the main stand.

They wouldn't be allowed to use the terracing but it could lay empty. As long as they have 6000 covered seats.

I'm glad to see Morton are looking to upgrade Cappilow rather than go down the path of building some souless legoland stadium on the outskirts of town.

^^^^^ doesn't know where Greenock town is.

Is it really that bad a stadium? I've never been, but from this photo it looks a bit like Somerset Park. And I love Somerset Park!

morton20.jpg

Cappielow disnae look too bad there....Add 12 years of neglect and Voila!..a run down piece of shit! Getting to the sorry state it is now didn't happen overnight

Cappielow disnae look too bad there....Add 12 years of neglect and Voila!..a run down piece of shit! Getting to the sorry state it is now didn't happen overnight

Indeed. That picture highlights my earlier point. The first 2 or 3 years after Dougie took over the place was made to look quite nice fire what it was. A picture from 2003 will make it look good. Last season was the worst its been: paint all chipped away, terracing crumbling, bits of metal hanging off of places, and so on.

Indeed. That picture highlights my earlier point. The first 2 or 3 years after Dougie took over the place was made to look quite nice fire what it was. A picture from 2003 will make it look good. Last season was the worst its been: paint all chipped away, terracing crumbling, bits of metal hanging off of places, and so on.

So has it been confirmed that there will be £2m? Upgrading,I can't seem to find proof anywhere

Falkirks ground has a rubbish atmosphere but Cappielow is a proper dump, hate the wee stand we get cramped into!

*awaits 'one stand' jokes..*

Sorry to hijack a Morton thread for this but I seem to have a different memory to other Falkirk and visiting fans.

Nobody in their right mind says that TFS is atmospheric or a great place for excitement, where as Brockville was a dump but had a cracking atmosphere when it was full and a big game.

Here's where my memory has deserted me.

We seem to be getting insulted by fans of teams like QOS and Morton saying the TFS is crap for atmosphere.

When the f**k did a Falkirk game v any of these no marks have an atmosphere??????

We could play most of the league at the best stadiums in the world and the atmosphere would still be flat.

The Falkirk Stadium does have a crap atmosphere Gaz, there just stating the obvious.

Falkirk fans are good away from home but the majority of the crowd at home games are torn faced moaning c***s. :thumbsdown

Yet to see anything of note at Cappielow for years.

Well I take it Cappielow is NOT getting the £2m upgrade then,it isn't happening

We're just waiting on the Easdales selling their shares in sevco. Then they will invest heavily at Morton......

I know the same doesn't really apply for away fans. But Cappielow, much like Highbury in 04/05 is outdated and a bit of a dump, but I'd take it any day over the hollow vacuum that is the Emirates. Cappielow's got a cracking atmosphere when it gets going, unfortunately, 15 years of mediocrity and embarrassment on the park has slightly hindered this.

Archived