Strathclyde Academical...

Guest Jydo

Researching on Wilkipedia regarding Third Lanark lead me to see some stuff about the proposed merger between Accies and Clyde from a few years ago. I seem to vaguely remember this. Think it was late 80s early 90s was it not? I was only around 9 or 10 at the time so cant remember much. Anyone care to share their knowledge about this?

Fotenote - Im sick of reading pish topics like "who do you think will win the 1st division?" and other topics like these. Can we come up with better things to discuss?

P.S. What is your favourite colour?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im sick of reading pish topics

Me too - let's make up some new ones! :lol:

From the club history page of the Accies official site:

2nd September 1970

All Directors present.

Minuted as follows; John Crines intimated his resignation. Joseph Friel appointed Secretary in place of John Hilley. Robert Gibb appointed as Managing Director. Share capital to be increased to £12,000. Letters of resignation from John Hilley and William Carlin were accepted.

The proposed merger was defeated thanks to the efforts of certain Directors and Shareholders. The first Scottish League fixture was not played and was declared void. It was played in April 1971. The new Board of Directors took over and sought the permission of the outgoing Chairman, John Crines, they approached the Scottish League officials to rescind the resignation and this was agreed to. The club then continued in full membership as before and had the dubious honour of having left and rejoined the League in the same week.

http://www.acciesfc.co.uk/home/index.php?o...8&Itemid=31

Judging by the age in your profile, it was before you were born.

It happened in 1970.

Dont know why this rang a bell? maybe i read about it somewhere before. Humble apologies for quoting the late 80s / early 90s.....

Just think how more successful we would maybe have been if we did merge with the Bully during this period...........if's, but's and mibee's.....

You making up a new topic then?

I can only think that you are perhaps thinking of when Clyde lodged at Douglas Park before Broadwood was built.

Ahh - that explains it. That's the Accies/Clyde connection from the early '90s.

When Clyde gave us Gary Clark and Billy Reid in lieu of rent! :lol:

A bit before my time but that proposed merger brought the "saviours" of Accies to the fore.

It took us many years to get rid of Jan Stepek/Jim Watson but they had asset stripped us by then.Watson however still has an executive box at the club.A farewell gesture from Ronnie McDonald.

I may be wrong but there may have been plans to move the merged side to East Kilbride.Accies did however look into an all seated stadium round about 1974 in Strathclyde Park.This would have surely catapulted us forward as a club if this had came to fruition.

Ahh - that explains it. That's the Accies/Clyde connection from the early '90s.

When Clyde gave us Gary Clark and Billy Reid in lieu of rent! :lol:

Thats what it was! Thanks. Thought I was going out of ma mind for a moment.......

A bit before my time but that proposed merger brought the "saviours" of Accies to the fore.

It took us many years to get rid of Jan Stepek/Jim Watson but they had asset stripped us by then.Watson however still has an executive box at the club.A farewell gesture from Ronnie McDonald.

I may be wrong but there may have been plans to move the merged side to East Kilbride.Accies did however look into an all seated stadium round about 1974 in Strathclyde Park.This would have surely catapulted us forward as a club if this had came to fruition.

do watson and sherry not still have their offices or have they just not taken their names off the doors yet :lol:

accies should build an old wooden hut and erect it next to the main stand and paint on it "accies shop" in memory of the auld ndp and a mascot fergie to throw stanes at the opposition goalie.

Watson still has an office at the club, part of the deal where we sold out to McDonald was that he gets an office in the club to write his life memoirs, or something like that. I'm sure that'll be a top seller.

Sherry does still hang about the club as well, although doing what I don't know. He is frequently seen in the half time hospitality thing in the function suite.

I preferred the other one, the Kenny Rodgers lookalike who resigned in disgrace after telling the whole Accies support at Cliftonhill one day to f**k off. Class.

Guest ali_le_point

Strathclyde Academical? Was that seriously considered as a name for the club? :o Straccies? :rolleyes: Lanarkshire County has an old-style ring to it. Hmm, Thirds were a Glasgow team BTW.

Archived