Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Doh A Deer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

centralparker

centralparker

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts
  • My Team:Cowdenbeath
I can accept that life in the Tartan Army has changed since the England-hating days of the 70s and 80s.

I have no problem with songs like "Comin' doon the road" replacing the likes of "If ye hate the fuckin' English...."

But "Doh, a deer, a female deer" leaves me flummoxed. What the hell has that got to do with Scottish fitba? A song from the Sound of Fuckin Music! What a friggin' embarassment.

Time to stamp out this nonsense!

uberman

uberman

Tokyo Gore Police

• Gold Members
  • 9,551 posts
  • My Team:Greenock Morton
Are you Homer Simpson???

It's Doe, a deer, a female deer

centralparker

centralparker

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 7,801 posts
  • My Team:Cowdenbeath

Are you Homer Simpson???

It's Doe, a deer, a female deer

Surely it's Doh, as in the musical scale.

Still a shite song for a football game.

uberman

uberman

Tokyo Gore Police

• Gold Members
  • 9,551 posts
No, its doe, as in this

Guest_XaaronPrimus_*

Guest_XaaronPrimus_*
  • Surfer
Wiki has the song as Do-Re-Mi

The music note is Do, so Centralparker ain't right.

Robbo

Robbo

First Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • My Team:Raith Rovers
Nothing Wrong With The Song

Mon the Rovers

Mon the Rovers

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,998 posts
I see what you are trying to say about the song, it is very strange to hear it sung at football games.

But you have to admit it is superb when the Tartan Army start singing it. No-one can deny it. The proof is in the post above me, and it was also magnificent in October at the France game

And it brings us back to OOOH.........

Spiders For Life

Spiders For Life

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • My Team:Queen's Park
  • Gamertag:QPcg

Scotland were playing away one night.

A representative of the team they were playing mentioned that the Scots fans sing all game.
He said something along the lines of 'I wouldnt be surprised if we got 'Doe a Deer' from them'.
So the Scotland fans sang it. And its been sung since.

I cant remember what team it was, but I think thats the general jist of it.

I asked this in a previous thread and got that reply :)
3rd Division. Fantastic

Chris

Chris

UB90 #22

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • My Team:St.Mirren

I asked this in a previous thread and got that reply :)

Actually before a friendly in Austria round about the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s, the local papers were talking about Scotland fans singing constantly, and said something along the lines of tonight we're really going to have the sound of music! So Scotland fans decided to sing doh a deer...
Strossburi und der KSC

MattBairn

MattBairn

Come crawling faster...Obey your Master

• Platinum Members
  • 10,956 posts
  • My Team:Falkirk

Actually before a friendly in Austria round about the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s, the local papers were talking about Scotland fans singing constantly, and said something along the lines of tonight we're really going to have the sound of music! So Scotland fans decided to sing doh a deer...

I got the jist of it though ;)

central staggie

central staggie

Third Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • My Team:Scotland
So thats what the f**k its got to do with a football match!

Love that song.
Always Shite On The Caley Side Of The Bridge, Dara, Dara, Dara Dara Dara

Karl Fletcher

Karl Fletcher

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,868 posts
  • My Team:Aberdeen

Nothing Wrong With The Song

May make that my new flashbox on Bebo. I was there, we sang it for around 25 minutes it was phenomenal B)

Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard.

Stuart Cosgrove - Honorary Aberdonian

diamonds2002

diamonds2002

Sunday League Sub

• Gold Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • My Team:Airdrieonians
What does "you'll never walk alone" have to do with football?

or Paper Rose?
or Sunshine on Leith?
or Only the Lonely?

or any of the various other club songs out there?

We hate Airdrie more than you

Mon the Rovers

Mon the Rovers

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,998 posts

What does "you'll never walk alone" have to do with football?

or Paper Rose?
or Sunshine on Leith?
or Only the Lonely?

or any of the various other club songs out there?

Yep, it doesn't have to be about football to sing it :rolleyes:

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts
  • My Team:Clyde

I can accept that life in the Tartan Army has changed since the England-hating days of the 70s and 80s.

I have no problem with songs like "Comin' doon the road" replacing the likes of "If ye hate the fuckin' English...."

But "Doh, a deer, a female deer" leaves me flummoxed. What the hell has that got to do with Scottish fitba? A song from the Sound of Fuckin Music! What a friggin' embarassment.

Time to stamp out this nonsense!

I couldn't agree more mate!! that song is embarresing, really is. Its a mary poppins song for fuksake. When I first heard it, I thought they were changing the lyrics to suit scotland but they dont!! there singin aboot fuckin drops of golden suns and needles sewing thread. its pathetic.

Imagine singing that song against england, they would laugh their arses off at us. Bring back the real songs man!

Edited by ClydeNewcomer, 23 April 2007 - 21:21.

Chris

Chris

UB90 #22

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

I couldn't agree more mate!! that song is embarresing, really is. Its a mary poppins song for fuksake. When I first heard it, I thought they were changing the lyrics to suit scotland but they dont!! there singin aboot fuckin drops of golden suns and needles sewing thread. its pathetic.

Imagine singing that song against england, they would laugh their arses off at us. Bring back the real songs man!

You must be one of the stupidest people ever to manage to switch on a PC. You really do reach new heights with every post.

Of course it's a Mary Poppins song - that's the whole fucking idea! :rolleyes:

As for singing it against England - we have, long before you took any interest in Scotland, and we will again. Let's face it, you only don't like it because there are too many complicated words for you to learn, like 'tea' and 'jam'.
Strossburi und der KSC

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts

Its ok to sing it once as a laugh, but to sing it as a regular song is really embarressing

we should be singing about kickin c***s heads in, instead where singing about ladybirds and butterflies floating in a mid summers day

have we turned into a big bunch of jessies over night?

Edited by ClydeNewcomer, 23 April 2007 - 21:27.

Chris

Chris

UB90 #22

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

have we turned into a big bunch of jessies over night?

Clearly not considering we've been singing it for almost as long as you've been alive. :rolleyes:

Kicking folks' c***s in... and I thought you were of the opinion that neds didn't support Scotland? :lol: :blink:
Strossburi und der KSC

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts

You must be one of the stupidest people ever to manage to switch on a PC. You really do reach new heights with every post.

Of course it's a Mary Poppins song - that's the whole fucking idea! :rolleyes:

As for singing it against England - we have, long before you took any interest in Scotland, and we will again. Let's face it, you only don't like it because there are too many complicated words for you to learn, like 'tea' and 'jam'.

i have been a scotland fan since i was born ya wee dick. I have a photo of me with a tartan hat and scotland flag on when i was 6 months old ;)

Anyway im sure the song started against Norway in france 98 ya tit! infact im possitive. Get your facts right

Chris

Chris

UB90 #22

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

i have been a scotland fan since i was born ya wee dick. I have a photo of me with a tartan hat and scotland flag on when i was 6 months old ;)

Anyway im sure the song started against Norway in france 98 ya tit! infact im possitive. Get your facts right

1) I'm probably considerably bigger than you, for what that's worth. :huh:

2) You're wrong, go and ask some kind soul on the TAMB

3) Even if we had started it then, when was the last time we sang it at Wembley against England? :1eye

f**k me you're thick.
Strossburi und der KSC

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts

1) I'm probably considerably bigger than you, for what that's worth. :huh:

2) You're wrong, go and ask some kind soul on the TAMB

3) Even if we had started it then, when was the last time we sang it at Wembley against England? :1eye

f**k me you're thick.

lol I am reasonably tall and build like a tank matey. thats what 4 years of weight lifting will do tae ye ;)

I must admit I never noticed us singin it at wembley against england thankfully. All I remember was our fans totally outsinging england. Especially at half time.

End of the day it doesn't take anything away from the fact that we have great fans.

South Lanarkshire Jag

South Lanarkshire Jag

Feed The Dug.

• Gold Members
  • 15,921 posts
  • My Team:Partick Thistle

lol I am reasonably tall and build like a tank matey. thats what 4 years of weight lifting will do tae ye ;)

I must admit I never noticed us singin it at wembley against england thankfully. All I remember was our fans totally outsinging england. Especially at half time.

End of the day it doesn't take anything away from the fact that we have great fans.

obviously your the exception aint u

i always thought it was sung because the sound of music was filmed in Austria and Euro 2008 was being held there that was my reason for assuming it was sung. I appreciate, however that im probably wrong

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts

i always thought it was sung because the sound of music was filmed in Austria and Euro 2008 was being held there that was my reason for assuming it was sung. I appreciate, however that im probably wrong

na thats a myth it was first sang against norway in france 98.

Why would anyone think about where the sound of music was filmed?? ye just wouldn't even think aboot that.

Someone on a site also said it was started because scotland fans were recently singing non stop, and a newspaper headline said something like, you will hear the sound of music tonight!.
I don't know about that though

ClydeNewcomer

ClydeNewcomer

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 5,289 posts

So I am not a good fan because I think singing a mary poppins song is embarressing??

I can assure you, you will not find a bigger, more passionette scotland fan than me. Ask anyone that knows me. Anyway anytime im at a scotland end its me who screams for every single decision and any slight thing that goes for or against us

Including friendlies against the isle of wight ladies under 18's. I shout at every game

Chris

Chris

UB90 #22

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

na thats a myth it was first sang against norway in france 98.

Why would anyone think about where the sound of music was filmed?? ye just wouldn't even think aboot that.

Someone on a site also said it was started because scotland fans were recently singing non stop, and a newspaper headline said something like, you will hear the sound of music tonight!.
I don't know about that though

I just wrote that on here you clown! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Jeezo. :huh:

Go and ask on the TAMB if you don't believe me. You are talking utter pish about Norway 98 though I'm afraid.
Strossburi und der KSC

Robbo

Robbo

First Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

You are talking utter pish about Norway 98 though I'm afraid.

He certainly is.

Guest_Spanky Rodriguez_*

Guest_Spanky Rodriguez_*
  • Surfer

You should get your own TV show. Absolutely precious.

Kaz

Kaz

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • My Team:Airdrieonians
:lol: this guy is superb

Yes, especially when you have more important things to think about like kicking people in the head eh?

MattBairn

MattBairn

Come crawling faster...Obey your Master

• Platinum Members
  • 10,956 posts
  • My Team:Falkirk

So I am not a good fan because I think singing a mary poppins song is embarressing??

I dont even know where to start. :lol:

This has to be an alias. :blink:

Wug

Wug

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,948 posts

Sorry mate. However much I enjoy your posts, you're wrong. I know for a fact that it was sung in Austria (either 1996 or 1997) as we drew 0-0. That maybe wasn't the first time it was sang but I'm pretty sure 1997 was before 1997, in fact I'm positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users