Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Fao Montrose Fans

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

SteamingparBoz

SteamingparBoz

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • My Team:Dunfermline
  • Gamertag:Mackieboz
Hi, look I just want to confirm something that I have thought existed for ages now.

Was there once a hooligan element of your support years ago by the name of

" Portland Bill Seaside Squad"???
Same rules apply.

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • My Team:Montrose

Hi, look I just want to confirm something that I have thought existed for ages now.

IF BY HOOLIGAN YOU MEAN CASUALS THEN YES. HOWEVER MOST WERE LIKELY TO RUN A MILE AT THE MEREST SIGN OF TROUBLE!
LYING IN A DEN IN BOMBAY, WITH A SLACK JAW, AND NOT MUCH TOO SAY. I SAID TO THE MAN, "ARE YOU TRYING TO TEMPT ME BECAUSE I COME FROM THE LAND OF PLENTY?" AND HE SAID,

YOU LIVE IN MONTROSE DON'T YOU!

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Puntastic

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,303 posts
  • My Team:Stirling Albion

Not sure three pensioners, a couple of neds and an alsation count as a "Squad"?

;) :unsure:
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Not sure three pensioners, a couple of neds and an alsation count as a "Squad"?

;) :unsure:

NEDS, NEDS, NEDS, WE HAVE NO NED POPULATION UNLIKE YOURSELVES OR ANY OTHER AREA OF SCOTLAND POPULATED BY WEEGIES OR WORSE STILL WANNABE WEEGIES.!! :bounce3

PENSIONERS ON THE OTHER HAND, LOADS OF THEM EVERYWHERE!
LYING IN A DEN IN BOMBAY, WITH A SLACK JAW, AND NOT MUCH TOO SAY. I SAID TO THE MAN, "ARE YOU TRYING TO TEMPT ME BECAUSE I COME FROM THE LAND OF PLENTY?" AND HE SAID,

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*
  • Surfer

NEDS, NEDS, NEDS, WE HAVE NO NED POPULATION UNLIKE YOURSELVES OR ANY OTHER AREA OF SCOTLAND POPULATED BY WEEGIES OR WORSE STILL WANNABE WEEGIES.!! :bounce3

PENSIONERS ON THE OTHER HAND, LOADS OF THEM EVERYWHERE!

There's that damn Capslock problem again :ph34r:

Edited by Tatty Boabie, 13 November 2006 - 16:45.

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Puntastic

• Gold Members
  • 25,303 posts
  • My Team:Stirling Albion

It's that damn Capslock problem again :ph34r:

We'll put it down to the predominance of Pensioners

:rolleyes:
Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

There's that damn Capslock problem again :ph34r:

And I thought it was two words "Caps" and "Lock", but hay ho back to Ready Steady Cook with a nice mug of cocoa. Might even turn up the heating a bit its terribly cold up north. :huh:

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*
  • Surfer

And I thought it was two words "Caps" and "Lock", but hay ho back to Ready Steady Cook with a nice mug of cocoa. Might even turn up the heating a bit its terribly cold up north. :huh:

:D

You're right, it is two words :(

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

You're right, it is two words :(

Thx :)

GeeJay

GeeJay

SPL Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts
  • My Team:Queen's Park
Saw a bunch of about 10-15 16 year olds when we were there on Saturday who seemed to presume that they were some sort of casual squad, but were wearing Rangers tops and trackies! Not very casual :lol: I just laughed, its amazing what pish, 'glamourous' films like Green Street can do to people's imagination.

Aye, this site shows some the past and present groups that people are aware of. It has Montrose, and also an 'Arbroath Soccer Society' although I've heard them called 'Arbroath Soccer Crew' aswell. I presume that Mo' and Arbroath casuals only come out of the woodwork when there is a derby between the two? People I talk to up there say there is considerable amount of scraps in the towns before and after the Angus derby. I'd say its easier to operate a smaller casual group in the lower divisions (Airdrie, Dundee Utility) where there are much less polis than in SPL.

Edited by BenchWarmer7, 13 November 2006 - 17:04.

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Saw a bunch of about 10-15 16 year olds when we were there on Saturday who seemed to presume that they were some sort of casual squad, but were wearing Rangers tops and trackies! Not very casual :lol: I just laughed, its amazing what pish, 'glamourous' films like Green Street can do to people's imagination.

Aye, this site shows some the past and present groups that people are aware of. It has Montrose, and also an 'Arbroath Soccer Society' although I've heard them called 'Arbroath Soccer Crew' aswell. I presume that Mo' and Arbroath casuals only come out of the woodwork when there is a derby between the two? People I talk to up there say there is considerable amount of scraps in the towns before and after the Angus derby. I'd say its easier to operate a smaller casual group in the lower divisions (Airdrie, Dundee Utility) where there are much less polis than in SPL.

Portland Bill SeasideSquad is pretty much defunct although if anyone knows differently I'd love to know. Angus derby matches now seem to be an excuse for Aberdeen and Dundee hooligans to meet halfway for a scrap. Arbroath and Mo fans then bear the blame for any trouble as was the case last saturday post match. <_<

Hampden Diehard

Hampden Diehard

First Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • My Team:Queen's Park
  • Gamertag:Games are for daft wee boys
The Mo mob were quite numerous in their heyday, and, believe it or not, gave the East Stirling bus driver a doing one day on his bus. Another of their big hard escapades was to attack kids who were at a BB camp while they were asleep in their tents. They made a bit of trouble one day when we were there until the police arrived to chase them off. I remember that there was an older guy with them, at least twice the age of anyone else. He just about summed it all up.

Before the game, they gave one of the wee boys supporting us a scribbled piece of paper (presumably their idea of a calling card) with Portland Bill Seaside Specials (was it Specials rather than Squad?) written on it. It also told us not to believe what people in Arbroath said about them! A bit comical. Naturally they tried to stone the bus from too far away.

Edited by Hampden Diehard, 13 November 2006 - 17:25.

QUEEN'S PARK U.S.M.
Unstoppable Soccer Machine

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

The Mo mob were quite numerous in their heyday, and, believe it or not, gave the East Stirling bus driver a doing one day on his bus. Another of their big hard escapades was to attack kids who were at a BB camp while they were asleep in their tents. They made a bit of trouble one day when we were there until the police arrived to chase them off. I remember that there was an older guy with them, at least twice the age of anyone else. He just about summed it all up.

Before the game, they gave one of the wee boys supporting us a scribbled piece of paper (presumably their idea of a calling card) with Portland Bill Seaside Specials (was it Specials rather than Squad?) written on it. It also told us not to believe what people in Arbroath said about them! A bit comical. Naturally they tried to stone the bus from too far away.

To true my friend, I was once at Brechin v Mo and after the game a "casual " walked past us primary schoolkids waiting for the service bus back to Montrose and uttered the line "My troops" laugh I nearly peed myself.

As for the last bit, without wishing to condone acts of hooliganism, I somehow think a scribbled piece of paper would rank quite lowly in hooligan stakes.

SimonLichtie

SimonLichtie

Bring back Derrick Brown!

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • My Team:Arbroath

Portland Bill SeasideSquad is pretty much defunct although if anyone knows differently I'd love to know. Angus derby matches now seem to be an excuse for Aberdeen and Dundee hooligans to meet halfway for a scrap. Arbroath and Mo fans then bear the blame for any trouble as was the case last saturday post match. <_<

That's not what i've been hearing. Although, I dont think it's in the interests of anyone to go into this.

OZMO

OZMO

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

That's not what i've been hearing. Although, I dont think it's in the interests of anyone to go into this.

True Simon, but lets just say I'm not a million miles from the truth when I mention Aberdeen and Dundee "fans" meeting in Montrose to conveniently coincide with a potentially explosive Div 3 fixture.

The point I'm making is that the PBSS as was in the mid eighties early nineties is defunct most of their members are married with kids etc.

What i'd like to know is the reason for the original posting of this thread from a Dunfermline fan.?

C'Way The Mo

C'Way The Mo

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
The PBSS was a fairly large casual group, probably numbering around 300 at it's peak in the 1985 chamionship season- Arbroath had similar numbers. Both sets of casuals are mentioned in a book i forget the name of, but was written by an ex Aberdeen casual.
Although some people belittle it nowadays i do remember quite serious incidents occurring - especially when casuals from other teams stopped off on the way back from away matches at Aberdeen.
The PBSS were originally known as the Montrose Soccer Unit and you can still see MSU sprayed at the Victoria Bridge gathering place.
Most of the members are nearing 40 now and you still see one or two of them at the games.
When Montrose played Dundee Utd in the Cup in 2000/2001 season i was in a Montrose pub after the match when United casuals attacked it - unfortunatley for the United neds there was a load of these ex- PBSS casuals in the pub having a drink.
As for OZMO's statement about the post match derby trouble last week, there is every possibility that the violence in the High St was in fact other teams supporters as i have met a few people who witnessed it but nobody who knows anyone involved.

philosopher

philosopher

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • My Team:Elgin City

Capslock is an inner-city estate in Glasgow, home of the famous Capslock United (formed by the amalgamation of Capslock Rovers and Capslock Thistle in 1973). Their biggest achievement was to win the 1982 HP Photoprint Trophy by defeating Numlock Wanderers 3-2 in the final, with the winning goal scored in time added on by their Armenian centre half Ctrlalt Delete. As the ball struck him on the head the whole game restarted with the fans wildly chanting "End Task Now". The manager, of course, was the Colombian S. P. Acebar.

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*

Guest_Tatty Boabie_*
  • Surfer

Capslock is an inner-city estate in Glasgow, home of the famous Capslock United (formed by the amalgamation of Capslock Rovers and Capslock Thistle in 1973). Their biggest achievement was to win the 1982 HP Photoprint Trophy by defeating Numlock Wanderers 3-2 in the final, with the winning goal scored in time added on by their Armenian centre half Ctrlalt Delete. As the ball struck him on the head the whole game restarted with the fans wildly chanting "End Task Now". The manager, of course, was the Colombian S. P. Acebar.

You have just performed an illegal operation and will be shut down :ph34r:

dubs

dubs

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 14,809 posts
  • My Team:Stenhousemuir
Didn't see them when we played them a few weeks ago, but there's still April 21st.

Neilly

Neilly

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 9,645 posts
There was about 7 neds who stood with us for the half time kick about at half time. They seemed harmless enough to me.
This is my territory be on your way...

Guest_BELLROCK_*

Guest_BELLROCK_*
  • Surfer

The PBSS was a fairly large casual group, probably numbering around 300 at it's peak in the 1985 chamionship season- Arbroath had similar numbers. Both sets of casuals are mentioned in a book i forget the name of, but was written by an ex Aberdeen casual.
Although some people belittle it nowadays i do remember quite serious incidents occurring - especially when casuals from other teams stopped off on the way back from away matches at Aberdeen.
The PBSS were originally known as the Montrose Soccer Unit and you can still see MSU sprayed at the Victoria Bridge gathering place.
Most of the members are nearing 40 now and you still see one or two of them at the games.
When Montrose played Dundee Utd in the Cup in 2000/2001 season i was in a Montrose pub after the match when United casuals attacked it - unfortunatley for the United neds there was a load of these ex- PBSS casuals in the pub having a drink.
As for OZMO's statement about the post match derby trouble last week, there is every possibility that the violence in the High St was in fact other teams supporters as i have met a few people who witnessed it but nobody who knows anyone involved.

I spoke to a few Arbroath lads (who are in their 40's and were involved in early 80's thing)
seemingly a fight broke out in the market arms and spilled into the street.
Around 20 ppl were involved, none were from Montrose but Aberdeen/Arbroath.
This was no little ned set- to, but lads in their 40's having a blast from the past.
However i also heard that a few local saps starting throwing bottles at Arbroath fans heading to the railway station, but took to their heels when AFC turned and charged.
Is the 80's movement making a return :o

Guest_guthers_*

Guest_guthers_*
  • Surfer
thats the ultras

farflung lichtie

farflung lichtie

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
Division 3 needs more neds - retro or otherwise. We could stage halftime entertainment.

We need more pensioners, we need more capslockers and any other ocker around.

What we've got are wide open empty spaces and the silence. Is Div 3 it's like to be dead?
Supporting Arbroath = the best of all possible worlds. Gayfield Park = stairway to heaven. The team and fans = the worst in the league, apart from all the others. Everything is rosy in our garden

SteamingparBoz

SteamingparBoz

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • My Team:Dunfermline
  • Gamertag:Mackieboz

True Simon, but lets just say I'm not a million miles from the truth when I mention Aberdeen and Dundee "fans" meeting in Montrose to conveniently coincide with a potentially explosive Div 3 fixture.

The point I'm making is that the PBSS as was in the mid eighties early nineties is defunct most of their members are married with kids etc.

What i'd like to know is the reason for the original posting of this thread from a Dunfermline fan.?

If you read my original post, you will see that I was asking if it were true, as it seemed like a sappy name for a "casual" element to one's support, especially for the 80's when the hooligan trend was kicking about full blast.

Thanks for the info though folks.
Same rules apply.

Gowfer_Lichtie

Gowfer_Lichtie

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Capslock problem?

More like damn Raploch problem :ph34r:

Edited by Gowfer_Lichtie, 14 November 2006 - 08:59.

http://server11.site...te/sitelogo.gif[/img][img]

"All of our affairs, since the union of crowns, have been managed by the advice of English ministers, and the principal offices of the kingdom filled with such men, as the court of England knew would be subservient to their designs: by which means they had so visible an influence upon our whole administration, that we have, from that time, appeared to the rest of the world more like a conquered province, than a free independent people." Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun

djn

djn

Second Toughest In The Third Division

• Gold Members
  • 9,173 posts
  • My Team:Berwick Rangers
  • Gamertag:Horace Goes Skiing

We need more pensioners,

Aye, we remember your thug pensioner element from last year :unsure:

We MUST get 3 points and get this horrible looking Berwick monkey off our backs.

Jammy

Jammy

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Gamertag:jammy27
Does anyone know where the name Portland Bill Seaside Squad was taken from? It's an interesting name if nothing else certainly.

philosopher

philosopher

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • My Team:Elgin City

Does anyone know where the name Portland Bill Seaside Squad was taken from? It's an interesting name if nothing else certainly.

Portland Bill is a lighthouse near Weymouth ... and Montrose is a town ...er ... and ... er ... the seaside has to do with lighthouses ... kind of .. and ... soccer casuals are pretty dim and ... er ... there was a squad of them ... er ...

Guest_Links Park Lurker_*

Guest_Links Park Lurker_*
  • Surfer

I think it was from a kids programme called Portland Bill - a sort of a Captain Pugwash derivative and they took their song from the theme tune. I can't remember all the words but the first line was;
"Will you come with me to the rollin' sea!" :huh:

Anyone know the rest?

Jammy

Jammy

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Gamertag:jammy27
It all sounds about as random as 'Akabusi Loyal' in honesty. I certainly didn't expect the name to have been stolen from a children's television cartoon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users