Benburb

The Mantis

Great photo of old Tinto, I wonder when it was taken as I seem to remember the huge enclosure not being the full length of the park. Was it shortened at some point? I believe that it actually came from Ibrox stadium about the late 1930's or thereabouts when Glasgow Rangers built a new enclosure opposite the main stand. Anyone confirm this?

I would have liked the new stadium to have been named after Tommy Douglas, who was a great sevant of the club and died last year. Maybe if they put a roof over the seats they could name it as the Tommy Douglas srtand. Best of luck to the Bens after their promotion, perhaps we might be visiting them in another year or so.

Very good read and good photo from the Year 2000 match.

The covered enclosure was built as new in 1954.

The first match with the enclosure was a Scottish Junior Cup tie against Shotts Bon Accord when Benburb won against all odds. In the pre-substitute days the Bens goalie got injured in front of a huge crowd and they played with 10 men including a small striker in goal. Benburb won the match 3-2 with Tommy Douglas amongst the scorers.

The biggest crowd at Tinto Park is given as 20,000 a few years earlier. This was a Scottish Junior Cup match against Bo'ness United won by a single Bobby Fitzsimmons goal for the Bens.

Both the above games have larger detail in my book 'A Time in Govan' which can be downloaded for free on e-books. 300 pages of 'fitba including plenty about the two Govan Junior teams and the Rangers. A hard copy of the book is available from virtually all booksellers and all proceeds go the Preshal Trust. 

Archived