IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nobody knows, they'll make it up as they go along

Well, I hope they make it for U20s players only or it seems even more pointless. 

As others have said, the idea seems even more ridiculous after seeing the draw.  Especially crazy that we're in a different section from Edinburgh City and Spartans.  At least drawing them might have brought in a little more interest.

I'd consider going along to a match if we were at home but highly doubt we'd be playing at Tynecastle and possibly not even in Edinburgh.  I really don't see where any interest is going to come from here; from fans of Premiership clubs or from lower league teams playing against the U20s teams.  I'm hoping the U20s lose (other than Hearts obviously).  A derby against long-term lower league clubs like Hibs would draw some interest at least.

The seethe continues for this competition. It's actually embarrassing the way people are going on about it. I'm actually looking forward to playing the Jambos U-20s, it's a team we've never played before (obviously), and it's at home. I reckon we'll get just as much of a crowd for this than we would had it been the old format against a team we've played 300 times before. 

Boycotts  :lol:  Man, this place never changes, no matter how long you're away for. 

The seethe continues for this competition. It's actually embarrassing the way people are going on about it. I'm actually looking forward to playing the Jambos U-20s, it's a team we've never played before (obviously), and it's at home. I reckon we'll get just as much of a crowd for this than we would had it been the old format against a team we've played 300 times before. 

Boycotts  :lol:  Man, this place never changes, no matter how long you're away for. 

It's your total, blinkered inability to see beyond ah'll watch ma team wherever they play that's a bit more embarrassing to be honest.

Still not sure why so many fans are that bothered. Senior sides should be pumping youth sides anyway, while the Welsh/Irish sides will throw games to prevent travelling costs. So at the end of the day you'll have the same teams in the Quarters, but you'll have had more ties to make money, more prize money and potentially some TV money for not much effort.

It's your total, blinkered inability to see beyond ah'll watch ma team wherever they play that's a bit more embarrassing to be honest.

Well yeah, the whole reason I go to the fitba is to watch my own team. It doesn't really bother me who we play, unless it's a 'big' game against a top side or a promotion/relegation decider. But for a run of the mill league/cup game, it's not that important. 

I've said it before, this new format might well be a total disaster, but I'll give it a chance. I'm a lot more interested than what I would be if it was the usual format. 

Each to their own, I just don't get why people are being such cocks about it all though. it's the Challenge Cup ffs, not the World Cup

you'll have had more ties to make money, more prize money and potentially some TV money

Except there is no TV money; the prizemoney is barely up on previously; progressing through the prizemoney barely increases round to round (exiting in R4 is worth £500 more than exiting in R2); and 'B' teams may draw poorer crowds?

Well, I hope they make it for U20s players only or it seems even more pointless. 

As others have said, the idea seems even more ridiculous after seeing the draw.  Especially crazy that we're in a different section from Edinburgh City and Spartans.  At least drawing them might have brought in a little more interest.

I'd consider going along to a match if we were at home but highly doubt we'd be playing at Tynecastle and possibly not even in Edinburgh.  I really don't see where any interest is going to come from here; from fans of Premiership clubs or from lower league teams playing against the U20s teams.  I'm hoping the U20s lose (other than Hearts obviously).  A derby against long-term lower league clubs like Hibs would draw some interest at least.

1/10. Very, very poor attempt.

Except there is no TV money; the prizemoney is barely up on previously; progressing through the prizemoney barely increases round to round (exiting in R4 is worth £500 more than exiting in R2); and 'B' teams may draw poorer crowds?

Poorer crowds that what exactly? The bottom line is that the majority of the Round 1 entrants (and around half of the Round 2 entrants) would expect to be horsed out of the tournament in the First Round originally. The Round 1 entrants now get what should be a more than winnable tie against Under-20 sides - regardless of whether you object to their participation or not - then a still winnable tie against teams from SPFL1 if they progress. By the time they face credible opposition, they'll be on their third fixture in the competition rather than their first. If they get put out by non-league sides or a youth side at the first hurdle, then they evidently haven't earned a crack at one of the big sides in the competition.

Really wouldn't care. It's already been well outlined what a joke this competition has became. Hopefully we play our u20's aswell.

Don't be silly apart from the big 3 or 4 clubs every club will be grateful for the very good prize money on offer, thanks to the great sponsorship agreed. £17750 for the winners and even £3500 if exit in round 1. The amounts rise as the rounds progress.

Say what you want but this has caused a bit of a buzz around my office at least.

I work with a couple of cove fans so ties in nicely for me - not sure they have a ground yet tbf but I'm sure that'll be sorted.

They are playing at Station Park in Forfar for the time being

Don't be silly apart from the big 3 or 4 clubs every club will be grateful for the very good prize money on offer, thanks to the great sponsorship agreed. £17750 for the winners and even £3500 if exit in round 1. The amounts rise as the rounds progress.

:lol:

Archived