Have the golden years of Scottish Football just ended?

The new season is a month away, and i am dreading it.

As an Aberdeen fan, you could argue that nobody has benefitted more from the liquidation of Rangers than us. 

The last four seasons have been full of competitive football. There have been plenty ups and downs for all teams. We've had multiple cup wins by the so-called "diddy teams". Celtic haven't managed a treble, which was seen as a formality at the start of every season.

We've had the emergence of Ross County as a stable, decent top flight side, even winning the league cup. 

What we haven't had, is the usual bombardment of bigotry/hatred/sectarianism/general cuntyness from the two cheeks. Since Sevco won the championship (at the second attempt  :lol: ),  The abuse has began to flow again, and It's only going to get worse.

My question is, were the last four seasons the "golden years" of Scottish Domestic football? It's hard to find another era where so many of the smaller clubs have thrived and been so successful. Attendances have risen, and most clubs in the SPL are now debt-free, despite warnings of Armageddon as an attempt to allow the new club to be voted into the top flight

Note to any **** looking in - You weren't relegated, you weren't punished. You actually got treated better than clubs that have been trying to gain league access for decades. Your club went out of business, and you had to scramble registration for a new club together. The SFA did everything in its power to accommodate you, and the clubs unprecedentedly voted to admit you to the third division. Any accusations by your supporters of other clubs punishing you are ludicrous, and based completely on arrogance and overzealous attempts at disguising your club's failures by blaming other teams for your own financial mismanagement and borderline cheating.

Now where was i? After the peaceful and entertaining past few seasons, will anyone be put off by the reuniting of the Old Firm for at least 3 games this season? I for one will be deliberately paying less attention to the league.

We had a fantastic chance to implement real change for the betterment of our game, and appear t have completely f*cked it. Things are going to go back to the way they were, and it's unlikely that we will get another opportunity to make such changes any time soon. I mean, Campbell Ogilvie, Neil Doncaster and Stewart Regan are all still employed, that is a farce in itself.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aberdeen and Hearts will have as much chance of doing something in the league this year as last year.  Rangers won't be anywhere near the pace in the first season back imo.

Yet you're going to slink off and "pay less attention to the league" because Rangers are back in it?  You sound like a fan Aberdeen should be proud of.

Aberdeen and Hearts will have as much chance of doing something in the league this year as last year.  Rangers won't be anywhere near the pace in the first season back imo.

Yet you're going to slink off and "pay less attention to the league" because Rangers are back in it?  You sound like a fan Aberdeen should be proud of.

It's not that Aberdeen and Hearts won't do well. It's the baggage that comes with the Old Firm both being in the top league. 

Nobody wants you here. 

Everyone else has moved out of the 19th century, it's time for you to do the same, or f**k off. Preferably the second option.

Look at the spread of trophies over the last 5 years and compare it to the previous few 5 year periods. Scottish football has rarely been more competitive.

The press, the SFA, the SPFL and everyone involved should have been shouting from the rooftops about how we were moving forward. Instead they just kept praying for a return to the comfort of being able to do f**k all and blame it on the two biggest clubs.

While it has been more competitive without Rangers, the standard of football has dropped dramatically. Celtic should have been streets ahead of everyone in Scotland and yet they ended up in a title challenge with Aberdeen. 

Without Rangers and Celtic this league doesn't receive the (albeit small) amount of money that it does. It's small club mentality to think that Scottish football thrives without one (or both) of the Old Firm.

Our league is already on the way to standard of the Irish domestic game, we have no need to fast track it there.

I think we will actually see a small resurgence of our game now. Some of the players Rangers have brought in already have been impressive, Celtic will be far stronger and the increased revenue can only improve Aberdeen and Hearts.

While it has been more competitive without Rangers, the standard of football has dropped dramatically. Celtic should have been streets ahead of everyone in Scotland and yet they ended up in a title challenge with Aberdeen. 

Without Rangers and Celtic this league doesn't receive the (albeit small) amount of money that it does. It's small club mentality to think that Scottish football thrives without one (or both) of the Old Firm.

Our league is already on the way to standard of the Irish domestic game, we have no need to fast track it there.

I think we will actually see a small resurgence of our game now. Some of the players Rangers have brought in already have been impressive, Celtic will be far stronger and the increased revenue can only improve Aberdeen and Hearts.

This mentality is exactly why everyone hates you.

Just because Celtic and Sevco don't have the big names they used to, doesn't mean the rest of the league hasn't been playing good football. There have been some cracking games over the past 4 seasons without you c*nts.

Despite what the Scottish media might tell you, it isn't all about the Old Firm. 

Signing a bunch of EPL pensioners isn't going to win you the league BTW. Guarantee they are on stupid salaries too.

Sooner you f**k off to England, the better.

The OP is over exaggerating the importance of sevco IMO they won't be a force in our football for a few seasons , not that that will stop the red top journos writing about them.

During their delayed journey through the seaside leagues the number of pages devoted to them was the same as before just relegated to the inside pages as befitted their status at that time

Even in the glory days for Aberdeen and Dundee Utd the back pages were still filled with what the OF were doing , so nothing changes there.

They are the 2 biggest teams whether we like it or not , moaning about it won't change that . As my old gran used to say pay them no heed

As for the end of the golden years for Scottish football that IMO ended in the 80s/90s

See instead of regurgitating the nonsense you get spoon fed by the media, try having an opinion of your own?

And as for the players rangers have brought in being impressive :lol:

Rossiter , Barton and krancjar are decent signings on paper for the scottish premiership, time will tell wether they can perform on the pitch

Ahh a competitive league disappears but we get a bit more money, where have I seen this before.

You do realise at the height of the two horse race the old firm matches were absolutely brutal in terms of "standard of football" and watching Aberdeen was, in terms of standard of football, fucking horrendous.

But yeah, tell us how sky will pay the league a bit more money, most of which goes to two clubs, who then render the rest of us irrelevant.

Aye, I see your point.

The OP is over exaggerating the importance of sevco IMO they won't be a force in our football for a few seasons , not that that will stop the red top journos writing about them.

During their delayed journey through the seaside leagues the number of pages devoted to them was the same as before just relegated to the inside pages as befitted their status at that time

Even in the glory days for Aberdeen and Dundee Utd the back pages were still filled with what the OF were doing , so nothing changes there.

They are the 2 biggest teams whether we like it or not , moaning about it won't change that . As my old gran used to say pay them no heed

As for the end of the golden years for Scottish football that IMO ended in the 80s/90s

It's not so much that Sevco will be a force, I think they'll do well to finish top 6 this season. It's more the baggage that comes with them both being in the top league.

The media considers all other clubs to be irrelevant, it's all about the old firm. 

I had a look on Follow Follow last night. The amount of posts containing "Tarrier, ******, *****s" etc are absolutely disgusting. There is no need for any of that shit in this day and age. 

The old firm drag both our game and societies into the dark ages. The authorities let them off with all of their bigoted shite, there are never any punishments. 

Whilst those two c***s are still a part of Scottish Football, the game is a bogey.

I don't seem to recall a similar fuss being made when Aberdeen took in Ward on loan from Liverpool last season. Yet Rossiter is some sort of world beater according to the press. Barton is a good signing but Krancjar has been playing second rate football in America, if he was any good he'd have been somewhere better than the US retirement home.

Anyway, I digress. It is mainly the media, the cheeks and the governing bodies that turn everyone else off Scottish football. It's almost like the rest of us support our clubs despite these organisations. As a whole they manage to pretty much alienate supporters of 40 of the 42 clubs in Scotland from the product by almost constant insistence that it revolves around two.

The idea that the standard has dropped is nonsense. Celtic have regressed but this Aberdeen side would simply hammer any Aberdeen side of the last 15-20 years and other than Craig Gordon there is not a single player from either arsecheek that would walk into the Aberdeen team. Hamilton, Caley and St J all have international keepers. Dundee Utd have sold on international players. Saints, Caley, County have all won trophies. The championship has finally been noticed for what it is, a bloody good competitive league, which it will be again this season. It's been great.

It'll take a couple of years in my opinion for Rangers to get anywhere near challenging Celtic on the park but the media won't care about that. The 3 (possibly 4) league bigot fests will be enough to keep their pages full and the rest of us can be relegated back to diddy status and told we should be thankful for the cheeks.

Archived