Five players you'd take back

Nicked from the big league forums.

Bringing back past heroes doesn't always work but we all have "ones who got away". Name five ex-players who would be welcome back at your club. Be realistic though - no Andy Robertsons or Robert Snodgrasses (preferably not even Bobby Barrs).

Five who might have come back to ARFC:

1. Ryan Thomson - had spells warming the bench for Stranraer last season, would walk into our starting eleven.

2. Ryan Donnelly - was only with us for a short time but Young and Stark could get the best back out of him.

3. Barry Russell - with his experience as captain at EK he's likely better now than ever.

4. Marc McKenzie - clearly Marc didn't fit in with our manager's plans, but I'd still have taken him.

5. Steven Howarth - a wildcard from the Todd Lumsden season. Went away to work offshore but just the kind of clinical finisher we need.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i would like to see the following

1. Ross mcmillan. Always a reliable and strong centre back.

2. Chris smith. Did a good job between the sticks for us. Generally consistent and that was something we lacked last year

3. Bryan Hodge. Always a good player that put a shift in. Good play maker that could create some clinical play

4. John Gemmell. This one is dependant on what john Gemmell turned up. If he was wanting to play the guy could score for fun.

5. Scott buist. Again another strong centre back but sadly he has had his personal battles with serious injury.

Can`t argue with that analysis - I see Ryan Donnelly is advertising his availability on the SPFA website. Interesting to note that John Gemmell is as well !

I'm not sure Gemmell is a "realistic" choice - it seems apparent that he definitely doesn't fit in with our manager's plans. It was whispered that he was heading to EK, but that may well have been a Twitter wind-up.

Of those still kicking around I'd go for;

1 - Scott Taggart. We're shy of a right back at the minute. Great engine and crosser of a ball. Solid enough in defence. Disappointed to see Alloa were quick to snap him up.

2 - Alan Jenkins. In his day he gave great energy to our midfield. Never seen anther player play as passionately for the club since he left. Playing more as a forward now, a position we are lacking in.

3 - Michael McGovern. Playing out of his skin at the minute. Could free the bomb scare that is Max Currie if he signed.

4 - Andy Stirling. Would give us two decent wide players. Someone who can win a game on his own.

5 - Greg Tade. Strong, powerful, skilful, can take a goal.

Can`t argue with that analysis - I see Ryan Donnelly is advertising his availability on the SPFA website. Interesting to note that John Gemmell is as well !

4. John Gemmell. This one is dependant on what john Gemmell turned up. If he was wanting to play the guy could score for fun.

I'm not sure Gemmell is a "realistic" choice - it seems apparent that he definitely doesn't fit in with our manager's plans. It was whispered that he was heading to EK, but that may well have been a Twitter wind-up.

According to aforementioned twitter he's just signed for Hurlford

They've got to be still playing?

1.) Bryan Prunty. A gem, player and ambassador.

2.) David Cox. Great guy a better player than credited for.

3.) Liam Watt. F**ked about by a former CEO and inadequate manager.

4.) Nicky Cadden. Wingers like him dont grow on trees.

5.) Liam Coogans. The next Owen Coyle, desperate to come back too.

*** edit to add: F**K CANCER ***

They've got to be still playing?

1.) Bryan Prunty. A gem, player and ambassador.

2.) David Cox. Great guy a better player than credited for.

3.) Liam Watt. F**ked about by a former CEO and inadequate manager.

4.) Nicky Cadden. Wingers like him dont grow on trees.

5.) Liam Coogans. The next Owen Coyle, desperate to come back too.

*** edit to add: F**K CANCER ***

Wouldn't take any of those players back 😂

Gregor Buchanan

Tony watt

Gary Mackay Steven

Scott Fraser

Joe cardle

1 - Julen Extrabrugen - Currently plays at Dens Park, his quality arrival in his half of the season in league two at Bayview as a defender he was strong and powerful was class act defender had the potential and shows why he is among a regular in a Premiership club side like Dundee.

2 - Ryan Wallace - When he left Airdrie the boy was on fire scoring many goals in a fife top, he went onto Dunfermline and won promotion as of this season from league one now freed I would take him back in a flash.

3 - Nathan Austin - He developed into a top striker from someone who played amateur football to a championship player he was a joy to watch this season as he got better and better I would have him back.

4 - Mark Ridgers - He spent the season on loan and his penalty saves at Pittordrie will always be remembered him by.

5 - Bobby Linn - would always score from open play or from set piece free kick and his screamer of a free kick at Starks Park was the best of the lot, he was a top player and I would certainly have him back even now.

Had to have a bit of a think about this one, especially when it came to "realistic" targets - that meant no space for Paul McMullan or Michael Devlin, or retired heroes like Eric Paton, sadly. Goddamn, what I wouldn't give to see the Big Easy pulling the strings in the midfield again... Anyway.

Andy Stirling

It's fair to say that Stenhousemuir never really saw the best of Andy Stirling. John Coughlin picked him up after his release from St Mirren and he never really quite knew what to do with him. Sometimes he played him as a winger, sometimes he played him in midfield (one game, against Alloa Athletic, he played him as a "false 9" with Scott Dalziel and Iain Diack flanking him). Stirling always seemed to look the part in bounce games but he could never translate it on a consistent basis to the first team. Davie Irons rarely used him and punted him to East Stirlingshire. He regained his confidence there before joining Stevie Aitken's Stranraer, where, over two spells, he was one of the best players in the league. I'm pleased to see he's moved up a level to Dumbarton and I wish him well.

Sean Dickson

Scott Booth's decision to punt Sean Dickson to East Fife in January 2015 at the end of the transfer window was just plain stupid. Dickson was by no means a world beater but he was fit, enthusiastic, versatile and had a genuine affection for the club. He'd made his debut with the Warriors in 2010 and had gone on to make a number of memorable moments (a man-of-the-match performance in the League Cup win at Kilmarnock; opening the scoring in a 3-3 draw with Rangers) but Booth disregarded him and got rid of him under the flimsiest pretences. I'm not sure how good he is these days but as a "feel-good" signing, I'd be happy to see him return.

Bryan Hodge

I can only really echo what "Ayrshire-SFC" wrote - Bryan Hodge was a very decent player for Stenhousemuir. He was someone who always looked oh-so comfortable with the ball at his feet, and someone who could muck in with the dirty stuff as well as pick passes. I was hoping we'd make the move for him after he left Forfar Athletic in the summer and I'm surprised to see him wind up at Stirling Albion. He should be a standout in League 2.

Stewart Kean

This might not be a popular opinion - I reckon there's loads of people in our support who didn't rate him - but I thought Stewart Kean was pretty good during his two years at Ochilview. Sure, he wasn't a great finisher and he wasn't very technically accomplished, but what he lacked in finesse he made up for in pure heart. Kean was incredible hard working and selfless, and his willingness to chase after lost causes and work opposition defenders was a huge benefit to the team. I honestly don't think I've seen a player at the club who put himself about as much as Kean did. He was also very fit and, off the top of my head, I don't think he missed any matches for us. He was more than capable of playing in the SPFL after his release in 2013 so I was surprised he joined Hurlford United.

Nicky Devlin

Another example of Scott Booth's abject cluelessness. Grated, Nicky Devlin didn't have the best of seasons in 2013-14 but he had all the attributes to become a super player - he was big, strong, fast and appeared to be someone willing to learn from his coaches and take on instruction. Booth quickly decided he wasn't up to it and dropped him for Robbie Duncan, before going on to release him that summer. What happened next? Devlin joined Ayr United as captain and led them to promotion last month, while Duncan played a handful of times before losing his place in the side and falling out of the picture entirely. A real "smh" moment.

Archived