Pointless Speculation: How Would Scotland Do?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We simply don't play above our limitations at the moment, and because of that, I'd expect every single team in this tournament to be able to beat us.

Yeah I'd agree with that. We seem to be able to beat the likes of Denmark and the Czechs in friendlies but when it comes down to the nitty gritty we never get over the line. 

It's easy enough sitting watching the tv saying oh Russia, Sweden, England, Slovakia and both the Irelands are pish ect but they all done the hard bit when it mattered and we couldn't. There aren't much between these teams in reality and it certainly shows.

We are probably where we should have been pre Levein/Burley. Strachan done well to steady the ship as it were, but now we need to start seeing progression or we're in the hunt for another manager. I said before Strachan had his contract renewed, whoever the manager is he needs the next 2 campaigns, not much point giving the manager this campaign and be back at square one with a new manager trying to rebuild at the start of the next Euros qualifying, however I can see Strachan not being in charge near the end of the WC qualifying because we have no chance in hell of finishing above England, even if we took 4 points off them.

Good point in the Herald this morning, would strachan go to a tournament and have a Killie and Aberdeen player on the park together?

OK its not like Michael o Neill has much of a choice but it surely shows getting a squad of players who can gel and play as a team is more important than who they play for.

Good point in the Herald this morning, would strachan go to a tournament and have a Killie and Aberdeen player on the park together?

OK its not like Michael o Neill has much of a choice but it surely shows getting a squad of players who can gel and play as a team is more important than who they play for.

Two ways of looking at that. You could easily argue that not one Aberdeen or Kilmarnock player would merit a place in the squad on any grounds.

What you have to look at aswell is Northern Ireland's defence was made up of Premiership defenders apart from Aaron Hughes who used to play in the EPL.

Cathcart, Evans and McAuley have all been brilliant. They even have McNair playing at Man U on the bench.

We don't have that standard of defence to build our team on and unless a miracle happens (someone like Caulker switching over or  someone appearing from nowhere) I don't think we'll get much success with our current batch of defenders. It's all well and good being able to score goals but we can't keep relying on scoring 2-3 goals to win games, we don't have enough goals in us for that.

If you even ignore the backline the only other player I'd bite your hand off for is Steven Davis and maybe Lafferty.

Guest DAVIDB69

Two ways of looking at that. You could easily argue that not one Aberdeen or Kilmarnock player would merit a place in the squad on any grounds.

Yet players from the likes of ipswich, Brighton and Notts forest are .But we have to get away from the mentality it's our closed restrictive selection policy that is part of the problem

Yet players from the likes of ipswich, Brighton and Notts forest are .But we have to get away from the mentality it's our closed restrictive selection policy that is part of the problem

Because they're the best players we have available.  What are you suggesting the alternative is?  It's not like we have an entire squad of players banging on the door of inclusion.  With a few questionable options, we continually pick the best squad we have available.

Because they're the best players we have available.  What are you suggesting the alternative is?  It's not like we have an entire squad of players banging on the door of inclusion.  With a few questionable options, we continually pick the best squad we have available.

He always moans about how young players never get called up and now he's moaning we're calling up Burke from Forrest  :lol: .

Having been in Paris and Marseille for the past week, it was a horrible feeling knowing we never made it there seeing so many countries there. Unlucky not to get there IMO, just fell at the last hurdle. Many will disagree and say we're shite(Georgia game yes) but we did compete in all the rest and only lost three times.

To answer the OP, I think we could of possible got through in NI group, France group and the Portugal group as one of the four best third place sides.

Wtf are you on, mate? I want some of it please! Delusional.

What you have to look at aswell is Northern Ireland's defence was made up of Premiership defenders apart from Aaron Hughes who used to play in the EPL.

Cathcart, Evans and McAuley have all been brilliant. They even have McNair playing at Man U on the bench.

We don't have that standard of defence to build our team on and unless a miracle happens (someone like Caulker switching over or someone appearing from nowhere) I don't think we'll get much success with our current batch of defenders. It's all well and good being able to score goals but we can't keep relying on scoring 2-3 goals to win games, we don't have enough goals in us for that.

If you even ignore the backline the only other player I'd bite your hand off for is Steven Davis and maybe Lafferty.

This is it, they are relatively solid at the back and will keep themselves in the game long enough to score a counter attack goal or from a set-piece - precisely what they did in their last match. When we nearly qualified in '08 we had the same tactics and very nearly worked. Ireland did the same in our group. Unfortunately it's hard to see us managing to do the same with our defenders as they just aren't at that level. We have a Championship level defence whereas all the other home nations and Ireland have Premier League defences, that is the difference.

The selection policy of countless scotland managers is restrictive. Vogts is the only manager in years who picked outside the usual narrow window.

The teams that have impressed me and made me think scotland could do this played yesterday Hungary and Iceland.

You certainly could but I have no confidence that a hypothetical good enough player would be pitched in.

How many non OF players in Scotland have started a competitive game in the past 10 years?

How many non OF players in Scotland have started a competitive game in the past 10 years?

Since 2005/06...

Russell Anderson - Aberdeen - 2 competitive starts 

Craig Gordon - Hearts - 11 competitive starts

Paul Hartley - Hearts - 4 competitive starts

Steven Pressley - Hearts - 4 competitive starts

Lee Wallace - Hearts - 1 competitive starts

Andy Webster - Hearts - 5 competitive starts

Scott Brown - Hibernian - 1 competitive start

Gary Caldwell - Hibernian - 2 competitive starts

Steven Fletcher - Hibernian - 1 competitive start

Add about eight or nine for players who've been subbed on in competitive matches, and then double that figure for players who've earned a cap.

Thing to take out that is that every one of those got a bigger move not long after they got capped, which suggests that the very best players in the Scottish top flight have every chance of earning a cap. I can't see any real standout in the league at the moment who looks any better than what we have though.

Heres the list of all non-OF players in Scotland who have been capped since the start of 2005/06

Russell Anderson - Aberdeen

Chris Maguire - Aberdeen

Lee Miller - Aberdeen/Dundee United

Scott Severin - Aberdeen

Craig Conway - Dundee United

David Goodwillie - Dundee United

Garry Kenneth - Dundee United

Gary Mackay-Steven - Dundee United

Andy Robertson - Dundee United

Scott Robertson - Dundee United

Barry Robson - Dundee United

Andy Webster - Dundee United

Darren Barr - Falkirk

Christophe Berra - Hearts

Craig Gordon - Hearts

Paul Hartley - Hearts

Callum Paterson - Hearts

Steven Pressley - Hearts

Michael Stewart - Hearts

Lee Wallace - Hearts

Andy Webster - Hearts

Scott Brown - Hibs

Gary Caldwell - Hibs

Steven Fletcher - Hibs

John McGinn - Hibs

Garry O'Connor - Hibs

Derek Riordan - Hibs

Andy Shinnie - ICT

Cammy Bell - Kilmarnock

Craig Bryson - Kilmarnock

Liam Kelly - Kilmarnock

Kevin Kyle - Kilmarnock

Steven Naismith - Kilmarnock

David McNamee - Livingston

David Clarkson - Motherwell

Ross McCormack - Motherwell

Murray Davidson - St Johnstone

Guest DAVIDB69

Because they're the best players we have available. What are you suggesting the alternative is? It's not like we have an entire squad of players banging on the door of inclusion. With a few questionable options, we continually pick the best squad we have available.

They clearly aren't because our results are rubbish if these players from these type of clubs are taking us forward great that would be fine but clearly they are not.

Next season someone bangs in a dozen goals for say hearts by Xmas will they get in the squad no.

Strachan discovers someone who starts 3 or 4 games for Rotherham English born scores twice but has a Scottish father he gets straight in the squad.

This has to be wrong if no exclusions are good for Northern Ireland they have to be good enough for us

Next season someone bangs in a dozen goals for say hearts by Xmas will they get in the squad no.

Strachan discovers someone who starts 3 or 4 games for Rotherham English born scores twice but has a Scottish father he gets straight in the squad.

Any examples to back this up?

I've watched every game so far and as the tournament goes on the more relieved I am Scotland aren't there. Every single team is streets ahead of us (yes, including N. Ireland, Hungary, Iceland etc). Euro 2020 has to be the next realistic target for qualification, but with our ageing squad it's near impossible to be optimistic for the future.

Archived