Pointless Speculation: How Would Scotland Do?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we qualify instead of Ireland and get their group:

Sweden: can guarantee Zlatan would be better against us so 0-2.

Belgium. Overrated primadonnas. We'd have scraped a 0-0.

Italy. Already through and playing their reserves. Scotland win 2-1 with a last minute Hutton screamer and finish as one of the best third place teams.

R2: Spain. Czechs nearly held out against them. We sneak a 1-0 win.

QF: Poland. We already drew twice with them in qualifying. Full of confidence, we stuff them three nil.

SF: Portugal. Scotland win one-nil after scoring on two minutes and then not leaving their own half for the rest of the game. Ronaldo cries that Scotland should be thrown out. Then he just cries.

Final: France. The French nation waits with baited breath for the conclusion of a thrilling tournament. Sadly, France have fallen out with each other and, as they like to do, gone on strike. Georgia are drafted in as last-second replacements. Scotland lose.

That first clipping is remarkable, not just because I didn't realise exactly how long Lester Piggott's career had lasted   :o

Staggering to think that we could be playing the World Champions and not be familiar with them, but not surprising considering we apparently knew hee-haw about Peru and Iran 24 years later, and it was painfully obvious that there'd been no effort made to research Costa Rica in 1990. It's almost inevitable that, if we ever make another World Cup Finals, we'll end up playing debutantes from a distant part of the world and get torn apart by their skillful playmaker, who we couldn't possibly have known about even if we had watched them play, no sirree   :rolleyes:

Scotland would do absolutely nothing if they were in the tournament except embarrass themselves as they always did back when they used to qualify for tournaments.

They simply don't have the quality of players, the athleticism and perhaps more importantly, the mentality to make any sort of mark. Had Scotland qualified they would have treated it as 'job done' and in true loser fashion gone in with that age old Scotland mentality of "we've sort of won by just getting there, let's just enjoy the party" and then finish 4th in the group with a maximum of 1 point and probably 1 goal.

It's the Scottish way.

We don't have a problem with fitness, but we do have a problem with athleticism. Collins was right - taps aff!

Spot on. Our players are just as fit as their counterparts but we are just smaller and weaker physically. We are pushovers.

to answer the question, based on every game so far, we would quite easily be the WORST team to have qualified as we haven't got the Management or the Players to be able to help us get any points. Based on this form Northern Ireland would beat us with ease as well we are that bad.

We are all entitled to our opinions this is mine!

We certainly had an over-rated sense of our abilities. Check-out the preview in the Glasgow Herald, day of Uruguay-Scotland:

1954061904.jpg

... we promptly lost 7-0:

1954061905.jpg

Mate of mine's dad played for Scotland in the 1954 World Cup, and apparently the SFA had the team togged out on heavyweight jerseys more suited to Peterhead in the winter than a blazing Swiss summer because they thought it would be cold up in the mountains.

As a result, most of the outfield players lost half a stone or more during the Uruguay game.

Having been in Paris and Marseille for the past week, it was a horrible feeling knowing we never made it there seeing so many countries there. Unlucky not to get there IMO, just fell at the last hurdle. Many will disagree and say we're shite(Georgia game yes) but we did compete in all the rest and only lost three times.

To answer the OP, I think we could of possible got through in NI group, France group and the Portugal group as one of the four best third place sides.

I can't bring myself to give thought to where Scotland would be in this tournament tbh. We didn't deserve to qualify through the same old failings of previous campaigns, lack of talent, shite tactics, poor manager and general hopelessness. I doubt any of these issues will improve anytime soon. Something is far wrong with our game, our inability to produce players of international calibre. Very disheartening time to be a Scotland fan.

Yeah, I don't see the fitness thing, considering half of our side plays in England and don't look out of their depth. I could see the argument if our squad was filled with SPFL players, even if I didn't agree with it.

On another note, if anyone's in a particularly miserable mood, it's worth considering that we've got the worst record at major championships of all the home nations. Hadn't occurred to me before, but it was true even before this tournament. We're the only ones who've never made it past the opening stage, despite repeated attempts, some of which were during the same "easier to qualify than not" setup as this Euros.

Bollocks to it anyway. Let's just enjoy the tournament and worry about this shit in a few months' time.

Scotland last won a game at a major tournament 20 years ago (1-0 vs Switzerland). Scotland last won a game at the World Cup 26 years ago yesterday (2-1 vs Sweden).

Having been in Paris and Marseille for the past week, it was a horrible feeling knowing we never made it there seeing so many countries there. Unlucky not to get there IMO, just fell at the last hurdle. Many will disagree and say we're shite(Georgia game yes) but we did compete in all the rest and only lost three times.

To answer the OP, I think we could of possible got through in NI group, France group and the Portugal group as one of the four best third place sides.

:lol: Utter bollocks. We only won 4 games in the group. That's not unlucky; that's just pish.

Watching the Northern Ireland shitfest/comfortable win (delete as applicable) over Ukraine, got me thinking. If you put Scotland under Strachan into each of the groups and, for sake of argument, said the top three qualified, which groups do you think they'd get out of?

I find it very hard to think they'd get out of the England group, but surely they'd get out of Northern Ireland's.

Whichever groups contain Malta, Faroes or Lichtenstein.

Scotland last won a game at a major tournament 20 years ago (1-0 vs Switzerland). Scotland last won a game at the World Cup 26 years ago yesterday (2-1 vs Sweden). In the last 3 tournaments we appeared in (Italia 90, Euro 96 and France 98) we scored a grand total of 5 goals.

:lol: Utter bollocks. We only won 4 games in the group. That's not unlucky; that's just pish.

Ireland only won 5, the difference like I've said being the Georgia game. If we won that then we were in the playoffs. Many ifs and buts and I think we're not as bad a team as many make us out to be. Strachan IMO needs to go though.

Ireland only won 5, the difference like I've said being the Georgia game. If we won that then we were in the playoffs. Many ifs and buts and I think we're not as bad a team as many make us out to be. Strachan IMO needs to go though.

Not necessarily, as you're assuming every single other results would be exactly the same had we beaten Georgia.

Of course it would have massively improved our chances of going through, but so would winning against Poland, beating Ireland away, and taking points from Germany.

It's not all down to a single game, no matter how many folk repeat this bullshit and no matter how often they repeat it.

Scotland last won a game at a major tournament 20 years ago (1-0 vs Switzerland). Scotland last won a game at the World Cup 26 years ago yesterday (2-1 vs Sweden). In the last 3 tournaments we appeared in (Italia 90, Euro 96 and France 98) we scored a grand total of 5 goals.

:lol: Utter bollocks. We only won 4 games in the group. That's not unlucky; that's just pish.

Two of which were against the rock and the other two could easily have been draws. People fixating on Georgia are ignoring how poor we were in most of the matches. Yeah a win in Georgia might have seen us get a playoff spot....but that's says more about how easy the format was for qualification rather than us performing well.

Not necessarily, as you're assuming every single other results would be exactly the same had we beaten Georgia.

Of course it would have massively improved our chances of going through, but so would winning against Poland, beating Ireland away, and taking points from Germany.

It's not all down to a single game, no matter how many folk repeat this bullshit and no matter how often they repeat it.

Do we really need to qualify it by saying "should all other results stay the same"?  What results do you believe would have gone differently had we beaten Georgia?  They were already effectively worst case as they were, so I'm struggling to see what winning in Georgia would have done to everyone that would suddenly have changed the course of the group.  

It was effectively down to a single game.  Win that, we had three games left with qualification in our hands.  We lost it, and it was an uphill battle from there.  

Two of which were against the rock and the other two could easily have been draws. People fixating on Georgia are ignoring how poor we were in most of the matches. Yeah a win in Georgia might have seen us get a playoff spot....but that's says more about how easy the format was for qualification rather than us performing well.

People "fixating" on Georgia are rightly pointing out that had we won that, we would have been in the playoffs instead of the Irish.  It doesn't matter what the format is.  It doesn't matter how many wins you get in a group, as long as the result of those games is that you have more points than other teams in the group.  

If we had beaten Georgia, then finished off our campaign with a decent draw against Poland and win against Gibraltar, then qualified via the playoffs, no-one would be saying how shite a campaign it was.  But we lose one game, and suddenly everything we did was shite.  

Archived