Pointless Speculation: How Would Scotland Do?

Watching the Northern Ireland shitfest/comfortable win (delete as applicable) over Ukraine, got me thinking. If you put Scotland under Strachan into each of the groups and, for sake of argument, said the top three qualified, which groups do you think they'd get out of?

I find it very hard to think they'd get out of the England group, but surely they'd get out of Northern Ireland's.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank f**k there's a thread for this now.

Well played Savage Henry.

I think we'd win it

Yes. I'm tired of, and probably partly responsible for, every thread having teams being compared with Scotland.

I do think the masochism has a time and a place though. So here we are.

Worse than Russia or Ukraine? Or even Ireland?

I can see us sharing a goalless draw with the Russians, with neither side in any danger of scoring. Ukraine looked far more likely to take something off the Germans than we ever did, despite having a shitemare today. We might have beaten them today, possibly, but we'd have done well to do so on an average day for them. And I really don't get why people think Ireland are dugshite compared to us considering the ample evidence that they're at least our equals. But then, there are plenty of P&Bers who think we're better than Poland too.

We had our chance and fucked it. There's no one team you can point to and say the tournament would have been improved by us replacing them. Well, for anyone who isn't Scottish, anyway   :P

Guest DAVIDB69

I think our poor levels of fitness would see real struggle against anyone.

We compare ourselves to n Ireland a lot now but their players looked much fitter than ours

I think our poor levels of fitness would see real struggle against anyone.

We compare ourselves to n Ireland a lot now but their players looked much fitter than ours

Which of our players are particularly unfit?

For what it's worth, we'd be another team purely there to make up the numbers. We could potentially sneak a win against a couple of the poorer teams there (Ukraine, Albania, Northern Ireland, Sweden etc) and get into the knockout stages that way, but we could also very easily lose to any of them and go home with nothing.

Guest DAVIDB69

Which of our players are particularly unfit?

For what it's worth, we'd be another team purely there to make up the numbers. We could potentially sneak a win against a couple of the poorer teams there (Ukraine, Albania, Northern Ireland, Sweden etc) and get into the knockout stages that way, but we could also very easily lose to any of them and go home with nothing.

The whole team is slow and ponderous Fletcher S, most of the defence, there is loads

Yeah, I don't see the fitness thing, considering half of our side plays in England and don't look out of their depth. I could see the argument if our squad was filled with SPFL players, even if I didn't agree with it.

On another note, if anyone's in a particularly miserable mood, it's worth considering that we've got the worst record at major championships of all the home nations. Hadn't occurred to me before, but it was true even before this tournament. We're the only ones who've never made it past the opening stage, despite repeated attempts, some of which were during the same "easier to qualify than not" setup as this Euros.

Bollocks to it anyway. Let's just enjoy the tournament and worry about this shit in a few months' time.

A lot of problems but fitness isn't one. Scottish teams have always been built off of hard work and running about alot, just a shame we can't kick and control the ball as good as others. Imagine how bad we would be if we weren't fit... :ph34r:

I wouldnt pay any attention to David69 tbh, he slavers shite constantly about how dreadful everything about Scottish football is

Yeah, I don't see the fitness thing, considering half of our side plays in England and don't look out of their depth. I could see the argument if our squad was filled with SPFL players, even if I didn't agree with it.

On another note, if anyone's in a particularly miserable mood, it's worth considering that we've got the worst record at major championships of all the home nations. Hadn't occurred to me before, but it was true even before this tournament. We're the only ones who've never made it past the opening stage, despite repeated attempts, some of which were during the same "easier to qualify than not" setup as this Euros.

Bollocks to it anyway. Let's just enjoy the tournament and worry about this shit in a few months' time.

I thought that was fairly well-known, tbh, but maybe it was just the fact that we've never made it out of the groupstages.

All the Home Nations qualified for WC1958 - but only ourselves didn't make it into the playoffs or Quarter-Finals (which Wales reached and it was their only appearance before Euro 2016).

In 1954 there were 4 groups of 4 but you only played 2 games and so only probably needed to win 1 match... everyone took a full squad of 22 players except South Korea (20), Scotland (13) and England (17). We lost 1-0 to Austria, then the manager quit, then we got pasted 7-0 off Uruguay and went home 3 days after starting.

Of course we qualified for WC1950 but decided not to go having announced we'd only attend if we were Home Nations champions, only to be pipped by England.

With the qualification of Hungary and Northern Ireland for Euro 2016, we are also the only UEFA nation to have qualified for a finals but not done so since the millennium.

...everyone took a full squad of 22 players except South Korea (20), Scotland (13) and England (17). We lost 1-0 to Austria, then the manager quit, then we got pasted 7-0 off Uruguay and went home 3 days after starting.

Of course we qualified for WC1950 but decided not to go having announced we'd only attend if we were Home Nations champions, only to be pipped by England.

What a fucking omnishambles we are

I thought that was fairly well-known, tbh, but maybe it was just the fact that we've never made it out of the groupstages.

I think it's just that I've never had to contemplate Wales' finals record before. Bit of a shiter to think about how many countries have at least one tournament they can point to as a great performance from their nation, when we really don't. Still, never mind.

In 1954 there were 4 groups of 4 but you only played 2 games and so only probably needed to win 1 match... everyone took a full squad of 22 players except South Korea (20), Scotland (13) and England (17). We lost 1-0 to Austria, then the manager quit, then we got pasted 7-0 off Uruguay and went home 3 days after starting.

Of course we qualified for WC1950 but decided not to go having announced we'd only attend if we were Home Nations champions, only to be pipped by England.

It's worth remembering that the SFA have always been absolute roasters, and that it's not just a modern thing   :lol:

Archived