Formation myth.

F_T_Y

Yes you did. Sometimes loading bodies into your weaker areas can help you. Strength in numbers.

:lol:

Let's fire more shite defenders in with the shite ones we have, it'll defo work?

Or some more shite non-scoring strikers up there with Fletcher, that'll work as well.

We play to our strengths, we're just not very good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think 5-3-2/3-5-2 is the worst shout considering our full backs are pretty attacking and both Martin and Mulgrew are used to playing in their respective full back positions as well as central defence, so might be ideal for either side of a back 3 with Hanley in the middle.

However ideally in that formation you want one of the midfielders to be able to drop back into defence when the wing backs bomb forward. I'm not sure who in our midfield would be ideal at doing that. Mulgrew is maybe the best shout for that but not if he's already playing in defence obviously.

Usual over the top reply from Random guy.

Spain and Germany have better players than us.

My point which you obviously missed is how are countries with players you wouldn't say were better than ours getting to major tournaments playing attacking formations. 

We haven't qualified for 18 years because we play negative, backs to the wall football.

Got to disagree there, the last time we qualified 18 years ago was because we did play negative backs to the wall football. Craig Brown was ultra cautious who had a squad of 20 or so players playing at a good level.

Also, lucky to beat Ireland at Parkhead? There was only one team trying to play decent attacking football and they didn't play in green. If anything Irelands 4-4-2 set up is more negative than our set up, they just bypass the midfield with good old fashioned hoofball O'Neil style.

We sometimes need 2 holding midfielders because our full backs are so attacking, if its Hutton and Robertson that are playing (pretty sure it was them 2 that played against Ireland at Parkhead?)

Marshall

Paterson

Souttar

Hanley

Tierney

McLeod

McGinn

Gauld

Burke

Watt

McKay

Just throwing it out there.

I'd fancy Malta and Lithuania to give that side a good game.

Didn't Gibraltar score against us when we tried that or were we playing something else?

We were playing 3 at the back but nothing like what's being discussed here. It was essentially one centre back, Martin, with two full backs, Hutton and Robertson, and no wing backs. Why Strachan thought that was a good idea I'll never know.

Didn't Gibraltar score against us when we tried that or were we playing something else?

Think we started with 3 at the back against Gibraltar but at times it was 2 or 1.

I've thought for a while that we should go 5-3-2 as we just aren't very good defensively. It would allow us to double up more but I think Strachan's problem would be trying to accommodate Brown, Fletcher, Morrison, Ritchie, and Maloney etc in that system. A couple of our 'bigger' players will miss out.

Personally I'd like to see something along the lines of;

Marshall

Anya  Mulgrew  Hanley  Berra  Robertson

Snodgrass  Fletcher  Ritchie

Griffiths    Naismith

This isn't necessarily what I'd start with for every game but the above formation would definitely be worth a crack IMO.

ETA: Swap Mulgrew and Berra for balance.

We aren't even that defensive under Strachan, most of the time our problem was conceding. Our wide players often leave our wide players completely exposed.

Er... so our wide players are exposing themselves?  :o

Archived