France vs Scotland

Only way WGS will leave is if somehow he gets an offer from a Birmingham-sized yoyo club, or if he gets punted during an absolutely disastrous campaign. On the other hand, I'd be amazed if he's given a contract extension after a campaign that's likely to be over by the halfway stage. Looks like it'll primarily be the same squad for the next two years as well, so the new manager will have a tough rebuilding job ahead of him.

Who's the best thought-of manager that would consider taking the Scotland job at this point? Assuming there isn't a RoI-style spunking of cash out of desperation.

As mentioned before, he walked from Boro and waived any compensation cos he knew he wasn't able to take them fwd.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no recollection of us ever being good. Maybe the people that do are letting that cloud their judgement... M

Been the same old story for me for as long as I can remember. Do reasonably well without quite getting over the line or winning the important game, which then makes everybody lose the plot, which then leads to a manager change then repeat

Round in circles

Problem at grass roots

Depends what you mean by being good and winning important games.

Plenty of us old enough to remember many successful qualifying campaigns and beating teams like Spain, France, Sweden, Austria in crucial matches.

That said we haven`t qualified for anything since 1998 so understandable many will share your view.

Yeah people are clamouring to change something that hasn't even run its course yet. Smacks of panic.

Wotte said he expected by 2020 we'd have six or seven players who have came from the performance schools.

so france is making all these subs and the ginger w****r still persists on using a couple, and you wonder why scotland never produces anything when clowns like him and the rest of the suits in charge are hopeless.

Maybe it's the fact that they can bring on Anthony Martial and Griezman on as subs that are the difference, rather than the suits and clowns.

Wotte said he expected by 2020 we'd have six or seven players who have came from the performance schools.

Yeah but... but... but it's 2016 and nothing's happened yet... rip it up and start again!

He's fucking pish.

He's only there cause he plays for Rangers.

He's clearly not pish. What other young player have we got that deserves more of a chance?

It's the same with McGinn, had people moaning when he played, I think our next manager should be some sort of mad scientist, maybe he can create some half decent Scottish football players.

Wit's the actual score?

Game over, beat 3-0 with a half arsed squad who are away on their holidays by one of the best teams in the world, away, who will be hosting the euros, starting next week.

Disgrace IMO

He's clearly not pish. What other young player have we got that deserves more of a chance?

It's the same with McGinn, had people moaning when he played, I think our next manager should be some sort of mad scientist, maybe he can create some half decent Scottish football players.

Fair enough, he might not be pish but he's playing at a too low level to judge how good he is.

Would you be happy if Strachan picked a guy from the English League 2/Conference?

That's the level of the Scottish Championship.

I saw some positives from Strachan in the last qualifying campaign so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he would fix some of the errors which cost us. Watching Mulgrew getting selected again means he learned jack shit and I can only see more of the same coming.

Wouldn't have minded losing 3-0 tonight had we actually had a chance of any kind to speak of.  France did in two passes what we constantly struggle (even in games against the so called weaker sides) to do in 14.  They cut us open frequently, we got into reasonable positions sometimes then gave the ball away.  If  you are going to set up as a counter attacking side, you need to be able to string two passes together.

I know this has possibly been done to death now, but when you look at where France where and are now, they did what we probably should be doing.  They recognised the old guard weren't doing it any more for them (after giving Raymond Domenech the bullet) and rebuilt from scratch with younger players.  They are now reaping the benefits.  We seem almost scared that if we do that, we'll drop down the rankings etc, but the way things are going, that's where we are ending up in any case.

I am acutely aware that we have not a great deal of promiing young players coming through, but the ones that are (Gauld, Tierney, McGinn etc) need to be bedded in rather than giving them a couple of minutes here and there.  We might take a couple of beatings along the way, but so did Belgium and the likes.

And for me, for the clubs to keep on persisting giving the likes of Neil Doncaster etc in a job highlights how the problems are coming from the top down.

As mentioned before, he walked from Boro and waived any compensation cos he knew he wasn't able to take them fwd.

Mmm...call me cynical, but you could easily suggest there was nothing altruistic about that. A parting of ways had become inevitable, and that was the best option for him, in terms of his reputation.

He's not going to get the blame for how Scotland does unless we're a total Greece-style disaster in qualifying, which is unlikely. He'll get the credit for any good results, however. It's not a bad job for him, at the moment.

Fair enough, he might not be pish but he's playing at a too low level to judge how good he is.

Would you be happy if Strachan picked a guy from the English League 2/Conference?

That's the level of the Scottish Championship.

If I thought he was one of our better youngsters then I couldn't really care less, plenty of others have had it, arguments to be had for Nicholson or Walker from Hearts over him but that's all just a matter of opinion. Ryan Fraser too but his time will come when he's not injured, Gauld will get more of a chance when he's playing again hopefully.

We're just not blessed with very many good players.

Who are our top 5 players 21 years old or under and what level are they at?

Archived