France vs Scotland

Just setting up a separate thread for this game. Looks like it will be a bit of a horsing for us, but you never know. Team-wise, I'd go for a strong side with a dash of youth:

Marshall

Paterson  Martin  Hanley  Robertson

McGinn*  D. Fletcher

Snodgrass  Ritchie  Anya

S. Fletcher

*Bit of a risk in case we get fondled 5-0 and he never recovers like Kevin McNaughton, but we might learn more from playing him then McArthur (i.e. is he just an average player who looks good at Championship level or is he one of these rare players that can look excellent at any level? Probably the former, but now really is a better time to find out than later)

Hopefully see Burke & Kingsley get game-time. Matt Phillips, if used, owes us a good performance.

Not much point in playing Greer, Naismith or Bryson IMO... so they'll probably all start.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see it being another dour game, doubt it'll be a pumping.  If we're going to get anything, let's face it, it isn't going to be pretty.

In terms of side, I'd try and start with as strong a team as we can put out.  I know friendlies are for trying out new players, but like you say, if we get absolutely pumped, then at the very least, confidence will suffer.  At worst, they'll get blamed and likely never recover.  So play a strong side, then as the game goes on introduce players we want to take a look at.  Would definitely like to see Burke play, think he could be really good for us.

At the end of the day the result does not matter one tiny bit.  All I want is to see a bit of quality, being able to defend well against a great side, and to cause them some problems. 

Beggars belief that sfa could make such a shortsighted decision. It's as if they are trying to do everything they can to alienate fans.

Would it not be the FFF who sold the TV rights as its their home game?

Obviously depends what the French do and how seriously they take it.

The main priority for them will be avoiding injuries so I guess it will be a pretty tepid affair.

Probably end up 2-0 or something.

Guest DAVIDB69

Strachan doesn't feel young players should play here , well if they don't play here they won't be playing in the competitive ones.

Same many times failures in their usual places from the Autumn

Just setting up a separate thread for this game. Looks like it will be a bit of a horsing for us, but you never know. Team-wise, I'd go for a strong side with a dash of youth:

Marshall

Paterson Martin Hanley Robertson

McGinn* D. Fletcher

Snodgrass Ritchie Anya

S. Fletcher

*Bit of a risk in case we get fondled 5-0 and he never recovers like Kevin McNaughton, but we might learn more from playing him then McArthur (i.e. is he just an average player who looks good at Championship level or is he one of these rare players that can look excellent at any level? Probably the former, but now really is a better time to find out than later)

Hopefully see Burke & Kingsley get game-time. Matt Phillips, if used, owes us a good performance.

Not much point in playing Greer, Naismith or Bryson IMO... so they'll probably all start.

McNaughton never played in that match. He was pulled from the team because votes Vogts thought he was too nervous.

I always thought he ended up being a solid player who we underused, especially considering some of the defenders who we have given more caps to.

Marshall

Paterson Martin Hanley Robertson

McGinn* D. Fletcher

Snodgrass Ritchie Anya

S. Fletcher

I think that is a good team, from those available in the squad chosen.

Personally, in the situation we are in & based on Gordon Strachan's recent words, we should have introduced players such as Gauld, souttar & McGhee, who are, in my opinion, much better suited to international football than some he habitually chooses.

Premier fucking sports again for this shite? f**k that.

FYI the game's on free to air on Meltem TV at 42 deg east and TF1 (swiss) at 9 deg east. Although I suppose anyone with a steerable dish will already know this. 

I had a look yesterday at the team that played France when we took a 5-0 skelping off them in the days of Berti 'Dryhorce' Vogts and actually it wasn't that terrible a line up we had that night:-

Sullivan

Dailly

Weir

Caldwell

Crainey

Matteo

Cameron

Lambert

McCann

Freedman

Crawford

Subs that night were Douglas, McNaughton, Gemmill, Miller, McNamara, Thompson, Holt, Hughes, Gallacer, Ross

All things considered, until Vogts went barmy with his capping policy, that would have been considered a strong squad.  Difference being that I doubt tonight we will get thumpe 5-0, mainly because there appears to be a bit more of a tactical nous about our squad and the way we set up now, whereas Vogts, as was proven on occasion, set up our team that if we were going to get beat (Holland in the play-offs) it was invariably going to end up a thumping.

Sadly I see a bit of a shitfest tonight, with us limiting it to about 1 or 2-0 - and a bit like the Italy game, don't expect much in the way of shots on target.  The joys of being a Scotland fan, eh.....!

Download Mobdro on any android device and you can watch Premier Sports..

Cheers. Can't watch Scotland tonight as I'm out but this sound be useful for Copa America.

Looks like BT Sport is on there too so could prove very useful.

I think that is a good team, from those available in the squad chosen.

Personally, in the situation we are in & based on Gordon Strachan's recent words, we should have introduced players such as Gauld, souttar & McGhee, who are, in my opinion, much better suited to international football than some he habitually chooses.

Yep, the team is crap but is all we have.

I don't think Souttar & McGhee are ready for Scotland. Nowhere near it and Gould plays reserve team football in Portugal.

Archived