I keep finding single dead wasps upstairs in the house.

Never more than one at a time and never see live ones. Possibly a bike in loft but never hear them or see them coming in or out of hatch.

Any explanations or should I just burn the house down?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than likely a bike in the loft, are there any dead in the loft? Usually a good few when a live bike is present, had a few over the years (phnarr phnarr) and never been stung by any. Been stung loads in the garden and in beer tents etc though.

Do you mean the insect or Alloa fans?

If you're talking about the insect, they're c***s.

On second thoughts it doesn't matter what kind of wasps you were on about.

^^big girl

Never more than one at a time and never see live ones. Possibly a bike in loft but never hear them or see them coming in or out of hatch.

Believe it or not this is a thing.  There is some disease that is killing the world's wasps or maybe bees and everywhere has it except Australia.  I met a guy from Australia that breeds them to sell to Europe as all ours are dying, you find single dead ones on the golf course all the time.

Believe it or not this is a thing.  There is some disease that is killing the world's wasps or maybe bees and everywhere has it except Australia.  I met a guy from Australia that breeds them to sell to Europe as all ours are dying, you find single dead ones on the golf course all the time.

why the f**k are we ordering in replacement wasps

If you are finding single dead ones constantly, you most certainly have a wasp nest around. Don't hesitate to get rid of it, they are extremely destructive to property, & you don't want the same experience my parents had of waking up one morning to find them all in your bedroom...

Never attempt to destroy a wasp nest yourself - unless you fancy the possibility of at best a lot of pain, at worst a particularly gruesome death. The little fuckers attack en masse, releasing a pheromone in the air alerting every other wasp in the vicinity to attack whatever they are attacking.

Get a professional exterminator in to do the job, & pay for them to get rid of the nest entirely. Rates vary, but anywhere from £20 to £50 is the norm. Forget those clowns advertising their services with notices attached to lamp posts - if they're not advertised in the Yellow Pages or on the web showing they're accredited members of the British Pest Control Association, don't hire.

Pest Protection Services are all over Scotland, & if this appeals to your political affiliations, are part owned by Bruce McFee & Iain Lawson of the SNP.

Excellent pollinators - leave them alone.

Horseshit. Wasps - especially native British wasps - are responsible for the killing of far more useful pollinators (esp. the various species of hover fly) to feed their larvae along with killing spiders or raiding their webs & are known to attack bee hives en masse to acquire these as well as steal honey.

Wasps are the nazi scum of the insect world & would be no loss.

Believe it or not this is a thing. There is some disease that is killing the world's wasps or maybe bees and everywhere has it except Australia. I met a guy from Australia that breeds them to sell to Europe as all ours are dying, you find single dead ones on the golf course all the time.

Sorry, but this seems risible. Wasps are classified as a pest & anyone caught importing them on purpose would be likely to find DEFRA on their doorstep with the police in tow.

What's mainly killing wasps in this country is plain old evolution. The continental Saxon wasp which has a shorter season (usually May to August) out performs the native British common wasp & moreover doesn't get (literally) in the faces of humans as much, resulting in less destroyed nests & thus more queens surviving to hibernation time.

Moreover, changes in habitats have resulted in a vast increase in wax moths attacking wasps nest for their paper at night time - the time when wasps are completely helpless (they have zero night vision). For the Saxon wasps who like making their nests in bushes it's not been so bad, but for the common wasp that likes making nests in corners of buildings or under eves, they have proven a very easy target.

Archived